x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

First Steps/Getting Started with HPC/Win CE ?

mfny Page Icon Posted 2023-05-16 5:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi all

I am in need of asking for feedback on what to look for in terms of any specific models of HPC on ebay for a newbie. As there are a lot of WinCE devices for sale and I have no idea what id be specifically looking for.

I would want a device which has a version of CE with plenty of software support and it would have to be inexpensive and able to be located via a UK ebay seller.

Edited by mfny 2023-05-16 5:25 PM
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2023-05-16 6:21 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

This all depends on your use case. I would always suggest a J720/28 thanks to its broad software base, headphone jack, compatibility with some pocket PC software due to its ARM architecture and a decent spec. However these tend to be expensive.

If all you want to do is type TXT/RTF docs and some time management basically any of them will do the job as long as its CE2 or higher.
Also worth noting that the early b/w screens are poor and some of the later ones will have deteriorated over time so make sure you get clear photos of the screen to check that its retained reasonable contrast, or go colour...

What kind of things did you want to use it for?

Edited by fantablium 2023-05-16 6:22 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-05-16 6:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I think something else to ask @mfny, which size class H/PC were you looking for?
Something more pocketable / portable like what @fantablium mentioned - the Jornada, or something with a larger keyboard / screen but not very portable like an NEC MobilePro.

While I am a MobilePro owner, I think for most people, the Jornada is most likely the better choice for first-timers.
But still worth asking.

The devices page lets you compare sizes of the models here at HPC:Factor.

https://www.hpcfactor.com/hardware/devices/
 Top of the page
mfny Page Icon Posted 2023-05-16 7:29 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

fantablium - 2023-05-16 6:21 PM

This all depends on your use case. I would always suggest a J720/28 thanks to its broad software base, headphone jack, compatibility with some pocket PC software due to its ARM architecture and a decent spec. However these tend to be expensive.

If all you want to do is type TXT/RTF docs and some time management basically any of them will do the job as long as its CE2 or higher.
Also worth noting that the early b/w screens are poor and some of the later ones will have deteriorated over time so make sure you get clear photos of the screen to check that its retained reasonable contrast, or go colour...

What kind of things did you want to use it for?

I would be looking at this more of a toy/collectable angle I would say, so as you say anything CE2 or higher should be ok for that ? but i would like to run as broad a range of software as possible.

I would also like a unit that runs off of standard AA battery's, ive seen some Casios that seem to do this and this seems wise given the age of these machines to avoid battery issues and also having to track down power adapters which are rarely included in the ebay sales ive seen.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-05-16 9:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

You could get a MobilePro 770, 780, or 790 and use the official AA battery adapter.
The problem is those devices are a lot larger than the Jornada
You may not get the best battery life since they have a color screen. I think some reports were a few hours.
The 770 and 780 run CE2.11 (also called H/PC Pro 3.0) and the 790 runs CE 3.0 (Also called HPC2000). The 770-790 run on a MIPS processor.
The mips isn’t as good as the arm processor @fantablium mentioned for software support.

If you’re concerned about software support I’d try to find a device that has CE2.11 (H/PC Pro 3.0) or newer.
CE2.0 is more limiting on that end.
But: there’s more AA powered devices that are CE2.0. So it’s pros and cons basically
 Top of the page
mfny Page Icon Posted 2023-06-17 4:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Would a Sharp Telios HC-AJ1 work ok ? seems to be Japan only but I assume the OS can be changed to English ? there is one on eBay right now that looks interesting.

Edited by mfny 2023-06-17 4:51 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-06-18 9:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

This one ?
It doesn't support direct MUI file translation of the GUI I am afraid, so you will struggle to translate it back. Aldo the keyboard will be JP. As a sub-notebook device, it is quite large too.

Your best bet is a by far.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10