x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

[FA: Global] Chuwi Minibook - J4125 / 6GB RAM

robertojones Page Icon Posted 2023-05-24 6:09 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Sorry this is a couple of days into the listing - I meant to put it on here right away but this has been a hectic week so far!

I'm selling my Chuwi Minibook - I just found it wasn't getting used and what I really wanted / needed was (regrettably) just an ordinary laptop. It's the version with the Celeron J4125 CPU (1.8GHz, 4C/4T) and 6GB of RAM, running Windows 11 fully supported (and licensed).

The device is in excellent condition (as you can hopefully see from the photos on the eBay listing), fully working, and I have no real complaints - It just wasn't right for me and without a clear use case it was just sitting unused most of the time. A shame when it's such a nice little machine in many respects - Certainly a world away from the infamous Topton L4 I reviewed on this site! I'll post on the thread where I previously discussed the machine if anyone's interested in my experiences / reasons for parting with it.

I'm based in the UK and shipping internationally via eBay's Global Shipping Program - I understand their prices can be somewhat high but I have no control over this, nor can I see what is charged from your side unfortunately.

I'm happy to answer any questions about it here or via PM.

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-05-26 2:36 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
God, Robert, you're a tough, tough crowd OTH, we always appreciate your forays. Good luck on the next device and keep us posted on all Robert purchases, fleeting though they may be.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2023-05-26 2:36 AM
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2023-05-26 3:38 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2023-05-26 2:36 AM

God, Robert, you're a tough, tough crowd

Jake

I'm certainly not very forgiving with these poor devices!

My issues with the Minibook are really just personal - I found it was too big (for me) to use as a 'HPC-type' device (and Windows desktop apps not too well suited to a small screen), and at the same time too small to function as a conventional laptop.

I think my ideal device would be about the size of a Jornada 720, with a Snapdragon 7cx / 8cx or any other ARM chip that's supported by Windows, and the ability to easily boot into Android for simpler tasks / on-the-go use. It would then also have to be cheap enough to be bought as an 'accessory' device rather than a laptop replacement. I'm fairly sure this would be possible with current technology (except the price part probably) but I'd be doubtful about how much demand there would really be for such a 'niche within a niche' device - The biggest sellers in this size category at the moment seem to be gaming-oriented machines, usually without proper keyboards (if at all), sadly...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-05-26 5:12 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Sounds to me as if you need a PinePhone and its keyboard

I'm kidding and your dream specs make sense. I've recently been playing with a fxtec pro1x, which has a plethora of seemingly unsolvable communication problems, but works very well as a tiny Android backlit-kb laptop. I got it dirt cheap from expansys.hk while many original backers still don't have their delivery--but that's a separate nightmare. It's a mess everywhere except for the lucky few that just want a laptop that's been hit by a shrink ray.

Your ebay sale seems to be going well and good luck with that, and keep us up to date with any new technical discovery.

Jake
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2023-06-05 10:13 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Just a heads-up for anyone interested that the Minibook is back up on eBay - My original winning bidder did not realise the amount of import duty / VAT they would be charged buying from outside the UK (EU in this case), but was good enough to let me know so no hard feelings. This should be shown at the top of the listing I believe, but I cannot be certain how this appears on overseas eBay sites - It's certainly worth bearing in mind as this + eBay's delivery charges are likely to add up to a significant proportion of the total price.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10