x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Serial Dilemma. What are your options without a Serial Cable?

1 2 3
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-20 6:10 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There is one for outlook express, the name escapes me right now
The main one is the H/PC compatible versions of Intellisync
 Top of the page Quote Reply
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-20 7:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

C:Amie - 2005-10-20 4:10 PM

There is one for outlook express, the name escapes me right now
The main one is the H/PC compatible versions of Intellisync

Do you know where to find one? I cannot find an H/PC compatible one on Intellisync's website. Can it fully replace ActiveSync?

Thanks,

Joseph
moz Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 12:31 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

C:Amie - 2005-10-20 3:53 PM

They're not quite third party sync apps. They sit between your PIM and ActiveSync, rather than your PIM and the H/PC.

hm.. PIM=personal info manager? ie. contacts, calendar, to do list app? If so, I assume the PIM needs to have some sort of import/export function that the conduit utilizes to get the data to send back to the synch software for transfering?

A little confused, but if I could find the right plugin for Rainlendar to import/export calendar info, (and a conduit app), would this theoretically be what I'd need to synch Rainlendar data into/out of Pocket Outlook/Calendar?

moz
(the excitement builds..my jornada should arrive by wednesday!! woohoo!)
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 12:43 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

PIM information is stored in ADOCE using the POOM API. The conduits app intercepts ActiveSync's requests and sends it into a different database (Notes, OnSchedule etc)
Conduit apps aren't import/expert filters, exactly. They're automated. If you wanted to use export just install Outlook or Schedule+ and use the export functions frm there to get it in and out of your PIM client.
seawolf
seawolf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 11:53 AM
#
Hello all,
I have recently gotten a MobilePro 780. I have heard tell that the first sync MUST be done with a serial cable. However, I do not have the cable. On ebay they are going for between US$30-$95 and I have no interest in paying that much for something I would only use once. I have puchased an IR adapter for my desktop, but it'll be a week before it gets here. On the MP780, can one in fact do the first sync via infrared?

Thanks!

-elijah
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 12:16 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

as far as I know the just idea is pointless.... There's no logic reason for such a condition...
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 12:41 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Kind'a not reading the editorial who's thread you're posting in here are you seawolf
The short answer s yes, but I still suggest you read it & the tech support docs on IR.

ShadowMaster,
That didn't make any sense to me
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 2:04 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

what didn't make sense to u?
(btw, I still don't understand why a serial link should be needed before syncing with other ports)
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 2:39 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

as far as I know the just idea is pointless.... There's no logic reason for such a condition...

I think you're saying that you think serial before Ethernet is a silly pursuit in your opinion. Got lost in translation though.

They did it as a security measure. Otherwise there is nothing to stop network users from connecting to your device and walking off with the PIM data. It also would have required ActiveSync to be able to search for and locate devices. Aside from the security implications, having activesync installs probing networks - night he Internet! for devices is just plain wrong.
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 3:01 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

it was "logical reason".
The "just" shouldn't be there...
That helps a bit?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 3:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

rod Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 10:12 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Seawolf - I did my first sync on my mobilepro 790 with IR, worked fine. My cable is less reliable than the IR link for some reason. Recently, I was able to set up activesync to work wirelessly over my home wireless network.
woodnboats Page Icon Posted 2006-03-05 1:12 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

rod - 2006-03-03 8:12 PM

Hi Seawolf - I did my first sync on my mobilepro 790 with IR, worked fine. My cable is less reliable than the IR link for some reason. Recently, I was able to set up activesync to work wirelessly over my home wireless network.

Same here.. I've never had a serial cable for my 780, and with a little fiddling I synced with first, my laptop (IR equipped), and then with my desktop (after I added IR).

Then, when I upgraded the 780 to a 790, I repeated the process. No problems.

It's a bit less than intuitive, however, and I can't remember exactly what I had to do to get things running, but it CAN be done, so keep trying!

Kirk
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 12