x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Serial Dilemma. What are your options without a Serial Cable?

1 2 3
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 6:16 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Wessex_nut - 2005-08-13 6:24 PM

Reading your aticle reminds me what my father has in his desktop. My fathers requirement was 2 serial ports and a parallel port at the time he upgraded both computers (mine and his) to P4 2.4ghz computers, ironically, obsolete now. Fate turns out that he A) got the wrong motherboard and B) when he got the right motherboard, he had only 1 serial port anyway!

Whereas yours truely had a P4 motherboard with 2 serial ports. Even now, I was lucky to have a Centrino laptop with one serial port (The parallel port I really don't need to use that often, only on occasions when I had a Cannon BubbleJet BJC-70).

ahah my PC is a late P3 and it does have serial i never used it for anything except the MC16 though.. all my other hpc's have usb.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-08-15 7:05 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Jake - 2005-08-13 9:41 AM

I worry much more, say, about the screen burning out.

the true dilemma: having all your HPC hardware at hand and still to no avail. You could have a serial cable and STILL not be able to make the proper partnership.
The serial cable dilemma is part of the larger problem of using equipment considered obsolete by everyone except the actual users.

Same here. I cannot imagine my serial cables wearing out before my devices do. I rarely use them and when I do, it doesn't matter whether or not the PC has a functioning serial port. I use a serial to USB adapter. I rarely use the cables anyway, as I find an inexpensive Multi-Flash Card read-write device like Dazzle works so much better. The Dazzle software always immediately fires up as soon as I insert any CF Card and I quickly and easily copy files, folders, programs, cab files to the card.

Yesterday I moved a folder with 35 ebooks from the desktop to a CF card in much less time than they downloaded from the free etext site I got them from. Had I used goofy Activesync and a serial connection I am sure the transfer would have taken close to 30 minutes, or even more. The CF copy took less than a minute. Then, there is the time wasted when ActiveSync doesn't seem to want to connect or presents some other problem.

I hope to be entirely Microsoft free before my Handhelds wear out. Sharp must come out with a larger handheld, now that their Linux devices are cheaper and so much better and there are no practical handhelds being made anymore. If sharp doesn't do it, Lenovo-IBM will.

The Japanese are coming out with a new approach to voice recognition that accurately accepts 1 - 4 word commands. It is appearing in Leapfrog fly desktop pen computers first. Next, the new system is scheduled for the Honda and Toyota personal robots (Asimo & Gizmo).

Look overseas for great innovations in computing. US enrollment in engineering & computer sci programs is critically low and Fed enterprise grants for technology is 1/3rd what it was in 2001.

---Bruised
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-15 8:37 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It's clear you're not a sync user, you've stated as much around the board many-a-time. For those of us who do like to sync with PIM clients, ActiveSync is an means to an end.
Not that it's given me any problems before - bar one time with usb driver which was a 30 second job.

I wouldn't dream of throwing CF cards in and out of the H/PC, straining the door hinge on the Jornada, that's what lan cards are for. You can sync at 10Mbps, and the difference between the 10 of the LAN and the 16 of the CF on a file transfer you've made up for in the process of pushing down, pulling the card, inserting the card, waiting for the driver to load (or to tell linux to mount the damn thing) opening it up in the system browser or console, copying files and then reversing the process.

In my particular circumstance, I don't have CF readers on every system, but I do LAN connectivity. So I can pull data remotly without having to go to the PC. May be that's just being bone idle, but hey, may be it's progress.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-15 9:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bruisedquasar - 2005-08-16 1:05 AM

I hope to be entirely Microsoft free before my Handhelds wear out. Sharp must come out with a larger handheld, now that their Linux devices are cheaper and so much better and there are no practical handhelds being made anymore. If sharp doesn't do it, Lenovo-IBM will.

The Japanese are coming out with a new approach to voice recognition that accurately accepts 1 - 4 word commands. It is appearing in Leapfrog fly desktop pen computers first. Next, the new system is scheduled for the Honda and Toyota personal robots (Asimo & Gizmo).

Look overseas for great innovations in computing. US enrollment in engineering & computer sci programs is critically low and Fed enterprise grants for technology is 1/3rd what it was in 2001.

ah i agree with you this time!
zauruses should be larger and japanese are sooo good at technology.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-15 9:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-08-16 2:37 AM

I wouldn't dream of throwing CF cards in and out of the H/PC, straining the door hinge on the Jornada

very good point!

oh and you're not bone idle, or i am too
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-15 9:04 PM
#
H/PC Elder

AS only works for me when my 6651 is a mess from experimenting, when backing it up is the last thing on my mind. After a restore I can never get AS to work. It must be me as it works well for so many others. The few times I got a partnership were awesome. Lan sync is sooo fast.

Now, to reveal my noobness yet again. With 2 6651's and my Casio I want all to be in sync. Since I can't sync them to each other I guess I'll start syncing with my main desktop. It can handle multiple ce devices I gather.

What do I need to add to my w2k desktop to do this other than AS? I mean in terms of Pim stuff.
Outlook? Is there a cesd I should read? Till now I've been happy with my PIM info on my hpc.

It's time to move the bar up a bit.

edit. I keep my cf cards in unless something unusual happens. Each card contains wifi drivers so in the worst case I can still access my network after a hard reset. I plan to remove my cards only when I buy bigger ones, or if they fail.

Edited by wallythacker 2005-08-15 9:10 PM
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-08-15 10:09 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I admire folks who can be AS-, and hence, serial cable-free. I synch between Outlook 2000, my J-720, and my Psion, and PsiWin is far more of a nightmare than AS.

I synch AS over wireless, and it is a sweet connection.

I dunno diddly about the ins-and-outs of setting up partnerships, but it does seem strange that the initial AS partnership can't be hacked into a USB/cradle connection.

Of course, someone would've done it by now...

Jake
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-16 7:38 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Wallythacker,

May be we should take another stab at resolving your AS problems if we can, get what ever is blocking that up out of the way.
As to what you need to sync. You need Outlook like you said, (98 or above), ActiveSync 3.8 and SP4.

Windows 2000 will be quite happy after that. As to which Outlook, well it's always advisable to head for the latest, but that comes with a horrendus price tag - so much so that I've not boethered with it. I'm still on 2000 myself.

You have 97, 98, 2000, XP (2002) and 2003 to choose from. If you have the CD's for your Intermec, then Outlook 2000 should be on one of them.
If you don't have the CD's then these CESD's may be of some use

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0023.asp
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0028.asp
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/outlook98/

Otherwise if you do have the CD's
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/office/
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 11:02 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2005-08-13 9:09 PM

Wes,

The PCMCIA Serial card from Socket may be an option, I am not sure to be completly honest so wasn't a good dea to head down the route.
If you can get CE to mount it up, may be you can sync over it.

Plessy as in Plessy or as in GEC Plessy?

Before, during and after the take-over for a while, Aparently, he was "Principal Engineer" (according to him, he cannot remember) at West Leigh, Havant, Hampshire.

Any more questions?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-18 12:11 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I know the guy who was responsible for closing down GPT when it was absorbed. If he was still there then, then chances are it was my guy who moved him along. "nothing to see here".

Can anyone think of any sync (read partnership) connection methods that I missed in my article?
moz Page Icon Posted 2005-10-20 12:45 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Ok, I've lurked here long enough. Hello! I just bought a Jornada 720 off eBay tonight, and this forum was probably the reason I did (you all seem to be a very helpful and friendly group). I also have an old 320LX I used to use (anyone interested in buying it?!), so I obviously like the HPC factor.

Anyway, once I get my 720, I'll want to establish the initial partnership for synching (never synched the 320LX on this PC before). But my problem is: no serial cable was included with the auction -- only USB and a wifi card. I don't have an IR port on my PC either.

My question: will the serial cable from my 320LX work on the 720 for that initial synch? The 320's cable looks much like a USB connector at the HPC side which I can remove from it's docking cradle.

I plan to use the wifi PC card for synching once I pick up a router and the partnership is set. If I need to buy another serial cable for the 720, is there other synching software that *won't* need a serial cable to establish a 'partnership'?

I do prefer The Bat!, Rainlendar, etc to Outlook.. but it probably makes more sense to just use Outlook since it's on the ROM (and I'm assuming it's probably the best package I'll find for the 720).

moz

[edit: ok, one person has said I can use my 320LX serial.. (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18674) but I'll leave my post as I'd still like to say hello and have this confirmed!)]

Edited by moz 2005-10-20 12:59 AM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-20 6:42 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The 300 series serial cable is identical to the 700 series, it wasn't changed.

If you want to sync with something other than Outlook, you need a conduit application to create the bridge. There are one or two around.
moz Page Icon Posted 2005-10-20 3:42 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Conduit app? You mean a 3rd party synching app, right? Turns out the Lucent WaveLAN card I'm getting with the Jornada is only the 'bronze' version.. so no WEP, and only 2mbps.

moz
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-20 3:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

They're not quite third party sync apps. They sit between your PIM and ActiveSync, rather than your PIM and the H/PC.
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-20 5:32 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Chris,

Where can these 'conduit apps' be found?

Joseph
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11