x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NEC Mobilepro 7x0 vs Intermec 6651 vs ???

jigab00 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 3:16 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi all,
Well, it's with some level of resignation I ask for some help. I've been trying to upgrade my MP 780 to a 790 via rom chip for quite some time, but have wasted a few months chasing after people from this board and from Ebay looking for these elusive slivers of lost productivity.

At this point, I'm thinking hard about upgrading the unit altogether. However, due to some mistrust of Ebay (for various reasons), I've really only used it for items that come from the same city (Toronto, Ontario) so I could do face to face transactions. Obviously this is much harder for a device that is so difficult to find nowadays.

To make a long story short I have been looking at a few alternatives for upgrades. I could get a MP790, but I find the screen somewhat lacking (dimness, and space wise), although I do love the keyboard. The Intermec 6651 seems to be a good unit to replace my MP780 (larger and brighter screen, decent keysize). However, I would dearly love it if anyone could comment on these two choices (having had/used both). Even better still, would be a side-to-side picture comparison (although I am asking much here). I'm especially worried about keyboard size, as the MP780->Intermec 6651 would be a large reduction in key size (~90% to ~60%). How is it for touchtyping? I have smallish hands, and even tried hard to touchtype on the Jornada 680 (!).

Thanks for any help you can offer. Oh, btw, if you have a MP790 rom chip or an Intermec 6651 you want to sell, please get in touch with me... (oh well, a man can try). BTW, what does an Intermec 6651 go for typically?

J
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 5:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

There is no choice by my standards. If I had to pick between the 790 and the 6651, the 6651 would win hands down. Here is a picture of my 900C (same size as the 790) next to my 6651: http://www.hpcnec.com/900v6651.htm

As you can see, there is not a whole lot of difference. The keyboard is slightly more difficult to use than the Mobilepro, but not terribly so, and much better (my opinion only...don't get agressive guys) than the smaller Jornadas.

I think the TFT screen, the ability to run some pocketpc software because of the vertical pixel count, and the built in software makes it the winner.

Just an opinion, not a fact....Rich
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 7:26 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ditto, if money and optimal size isn't an object the 6651 is the way to go. If money is tight then the 7x0 is the choice. Great comparison pic, btw. I needed that to show the g/f the 7x0 isn't a giant monster.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 7:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i absolutely agree
 Top of the page
toekneeb Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 8:59 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Damn,
as I have a MB790 and Sharp HC 7000 AKA intermec 6651 I could have supplied a picture but hey Rich beat me to it

Toughie like Archimark i have splurged out as i couldn't decide on what to get. I also have a 720 which must go as its the most user unfriendly of the 3 but deciding against the 790 and 7000 has been a toughie

I love both but for me maybe the 790 is more useful as the keysize is slightly bigger meaning i can get more typing done, my screen is pretty bright so although its not as good as the 7000 it does the job. Downside is that resolution is so small, editing WP and viewing web pages isn't as good as on the 7000.

The sharp is faster speed wise, and has a much more positive feeling keyboard , and the screen is brilliant, but that tft display does drink more juice than the 790 however but things like calenders, and CE agenda look so much better. Never tried pocketpc apps i wonder if i can get netfront working on it?

Top of the page
jigab00 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 2:11 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Wow, thanks for the quick feedback - Rich, the picture was exactly what I needed.
Looks like the Intermec 6651 is the clear winner.

However, with new info comes new questions (suprise there, I'm sure). toekneeb, you mentioned it, so battery life is a definite concern? From those of you that use it extensively (which I tend to do with my MP780), how long do you get from a charge? Obviously, this depends on the state of the battery in question. Has anyone taken a look at rebuilding these batteries (ie. do they lend themselves easily to butchering like the MP7x0 batteries)?

I find it odd, actually, that from the various articles I've read about the Intermec, it seems to be quicker than the MP7x0 series. The MP7x0, on paper, have faster processor, but it seems the Intermec has a faster video chipset. Is this performance a fair reflection of reality? Given that I tend to work with large documents, things tend to bog down somewhat when scrolling etc. Given that the Intermec has a bigger screen, and thus more pixels to blit, I'm somewhat concerned about performance.

And finally, given that no one commented on the "how much" question I posed, is it a fair assumption that there is no real watermark for the price of the 6651 (as it is sold so rarely)?

Thanks again for the help,
J
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 4:43 PM
#
H/PC Elder

How much is so subjective. I've seen private forum deals from 200-400US. I've seen ebay deals just under 200, and well past 400. It's all a matter of timing I think. Back to school may be a bad time to look. I got my first one after grad, cheap. My second one was this summer from a pawn shop , cheap.

As to speed. There's not many benchmark programs for hpcs but the 6651 is the clear king over all but the Jornada 7x0 series, which, btw, it comes darn close to. It benches incredibly for a 129mhz machine. Those benchmarks reflect the daily performance too, the 6651 is fast on benches and daily tasks, but slow on paper.

As for battery life. I have all origiinal cells and one pack still gives me 4+ hours using wifi. It's a monster pack, it just won't die, but I predict a refurbed pack with 2400mah cells will take me past 8 or perhaps 10 hours with wifi.

Edited by wallythacker 2005-08-20 4:47 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10