x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ANN: HPC:Factor on emergency bandwidth measures

1 2
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 6:29 PM
#
A bit of a ripoff from what howardforums used to do - but basic (free membership) had ads at the top of each page - but you could also get a paid membership (something like $3.50 US/month) that got rid of the ads, gave you custom avatars and more space for private messages.

Just an idea, something I wouldn't mind myself.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 6:06 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Lol everyone - get rid of thoughts of ads or paid membership - C:Amie (and the other admins) will do whatever is universally possible to prevent all that.
nevalabs Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 8:13 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

C:Amie - 2005-08-20 2:14 PM

We're not looking too bad at the moment.
We have the disk space (although 10 GIG has gone walk-about... darn exchange server), and the bandwidth isn't a problem at this point in time either, we're currently running on a throttled bit rate of 1/6 of what is ordinarily available.

C:Amie, talking about numbers, how much disk space/bandwidth are we talking about ?! I can provide 20GB of space and 250GB/month of bandwidth (10Mbps limited). If this isn't enough, I can try arranging more!

I would make a PayPal donation too, if needed!

Thanks,
Claudio Neves
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 3:31 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

To be honest, I don't think we'll notice the bandwidth reduction especially now measures have been put in place who reduce the massive bandwidth hogs - I'm thinking of the SL4 images.

The forums seem to be performance rather than bandwidth limied, so this could possibly be a good change to stop the servers from becoming overloaded?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-23 6:41 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

nevalabs,

While it generally it isn't policy to discuss site traffic, 250GB/m would cover the current site load.
Chiarks forsight wins through again, the forum has never post a bandwidth problem, it's a clear as a new day processor load issue.

There are some good ideas here, but with only 800 members the practicality of charging membership means a lot of work for little return, and that's ignoring the fact that it would most probably kill the site, prompting someone to go and setup a "HPC:Free and www.hpcfree.com" forum in retaliation

The trouble with adverts, as noted before, is that they would for the most part all be ppc related. So decidedly confusing for new users.
The other option of course is "Congratulations you are the 1,000,000 visitor spamverts"

For the most part, aside from seeing a traffic drop, we're looking great everybody
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-08-24 3:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I would in a minute donate $5.00 US to H/PC factor...
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-07 12:33 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

When will bandwith be right again? It said by October, but it is October.

P.S.: I am not whining
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-07 7:13 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The rollout of the new server has been delayed, as a result so has the migration.
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-07 10:43 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

C:Amie - 2005-10-07 5:13 AM

The rollout of the new server has been delayed, as a result so has the migration.

C:Amie,

Ok, thanks for info.

Joseph
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-11 11:33 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Doesn't the GUI on Windows Server take up some CPU cycles?
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-10-12 4:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-08-23 3:41 AM

The trouble with adverts, as noted before, is that they would for the most part all be ppc related. So decidedly confusing for new users.

Not if you just display digital photos of units for sale on hpcBay (for a fee, of course). (Just a thought.)

Edited by CE Geek 2005-10-12 4:27 AM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-12 7:57 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

PS, you don't actually have servers running anything in GUI other than the logon screen. So no, not really.

CE Geek,

How does that make revenue for the site exactly.....
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-10-13 2:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I was thinking that maybe people wanting to sell H/PCs and/or their accessories could, for a fee, have pictures of the items posted, say, on the home page (maybe a thumbnail with the basic description, linking to a full image), or maybe in a margin in some of the other pages. Like I said, just a thought (and a fleeting one, at that) - maybe a brief moment of insanity.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the current setup. I figured we were just brainstorming here, so I just spouted out an idea off the top of my head, in case it might make sense to anyone.

Edited by CE Geek 2005-10-13 2:29 AM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-13 12:37 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

sorry, my err.
When I read your orignal post I was being hounded from both sides and trying to listen to a manager yammering at me from across the room. I thought you said "for free"

It's a nice idea, but IMO it'd have to be pulled off with considerable automation so it doesn't make the FP look untidy. I don't have the time to write said automation presently. One to bear in mind!

Keep on brainstorming
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 9