x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ANN: HPC:Factor on emergency bandwidth measures

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 5:39 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

HPC:Factor has become probably the largest exclusive Handheld PC website on the Internet, and a site through which we are fortunate enough to have a loyal, passionate group of users to share our own passion and experiences with.
Unfortunately the maintenance overheads involved with running the site have grown exponentially, as more traffic have steadily depleted the resources available through the T line on which HPC:Factor is hosted.
Given recent abuses of bandwidth resources, and the steady rise of traffic which all of the owners have hoped to see over the years the site is currently at a position where we no longer have at our disposal the bandwidth to continue providing a full service off of the T line.
As a result of this, and as of approximately 0000 hours BST, we have been forced to place the site onto emergency bandwidth measures in order to maintain site up-time. The decision isn't one taken lightly, and is a trade-off between reducing the traffic volume, or suspending the site.

HPC:Factor co-owner and senior systems administrator, John Rubier is in the process of overseeing the installation of a Fibre line through which the site will eventually be able to realise normal traffic volume. When we have physical access to the new fibre line and what restrictions will be placed onto the site are still being investigated, but it will be a minimum of four weeks until we can conceivably look to migrating.
In the mean time, we will be suspending the majority of downloads from the site servers and restricting e-mail traffic on the hpcfactor.com domain.

The HPC:Factor team would like to apologise for any inconvenience that this causes you, and would like to reassure you that this is a temporary measure, and that the site will not be going away from your screens.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 6:05 PM
#
If you decided to put up a paypal donate button and let those of us who wanted to donate a few funds to help the cause, I would not mind at all. And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Otherwise, do what needs to be done to keep HPC:Factor alive and well and we will support you
Dexxta
Dexxta Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 7:30 PM
#
I dont know if this idea would suit what you guys are trying to achive, but some of my other comunity sites use a free forum service. If you moved the forums to a free site that would seriously reduce some load on the bandwidth. Of course this solution may not be at all what you want, but I put it out there as a sugestion.

One of the forum sites I have used and found to be quite good is, createforum.com
I have used them and can say they are ok.

Its an idea, and I hope everything works out soon.
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 8:05 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I believe several members have websites and would be more than willing to host files. Just put in mirror links to the downloads and disable the local ones temporarily?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 9:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The forum traffic equates to peanuts, and isn't an issue.

For the time being all primary load downloads have been hard terminated on the server i.e. no page mods except for what you see on the disclaimer. Bandwidth allocation is being monitored and we are trying to avoid taking anything else out.

It's only a month. Just think tempting, unspeakable thoughts about the Fibre line for the next 30 days.
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 11:11 PM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-08-19 6:06 PM
Just think tempting, unspeakable thoughts about the Fibre line for the next 30 days.

After that C:Amie will say...
Let there be light!
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-08-19 11:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

How about reducing or eliminating graphics...going to text only for a while, would that help any?
mmarks Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 2:28 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Why not ensure the site pays for itself.

Implement a membership fee. It needn't be much at all - I'm sure most people would be willing to pay a few pounds/euros/dollars etc to ensure the service grows.

This would also alliviate the recent postings we have had that are not part of the service (by fgfgfgfgfg or something like that!)

As a commercial site, maybe sell some advertising space. Although there are not many software/hardware suppliers remaining, those that do would probably be grateful for a marketing space dedicated to their customers.

Just my thoughts............

Mike
Dexxta
Dexxta Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 3:23 AM
#
I would be happy to host a couple of files for the time you need if that would help at all. I have no problem helping out there. You know where to find my email if you want to go this way.
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 3:40 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

just put a donation link and see what you'll get. this site is decent and it deserves something back from the community users. you shouldn't bear the cost all by yourself. we all benefit from this website and we should all share the costs.

anyhow, i have a yahoo webhosting standard 2gb storage with 25gb bandwidth. i signed up for the account for the email use only. 500mb and little bandwidth is more than i need from the account, and i have been thinking about what i should do with the rest and i really can't come up with anything. if you'd like, maybe i can host some of the files temporarily (until i need the space back, which could be never!)

and yahoo ftp access is really convenient. i can create different ftp accounts for different users and assign accessibility to folders.

and i'd have fun watching the stats for my storage space move for once! LOL

thanks,

msafi,
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-20 11:14 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

We're not looking too bad at the moment.
We have the disk space (although 10 GIG has gone walk-about... darn exchange server), and the bandwidth isn't a problem at this point in time either, we're currently running on a throttled bit rate of 1/6 of what is ordinarily available.
Martyn Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 8:38 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, just to say that I have a VPS10 server at Names.co.uk all payed for and only four sites at present, if you can make use of some overflow space at any time just let me know, it might be worth sharing some of the duties even with the fiber line stop you running into these problems again.
RJ99 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 2:09 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Got to agree ... there's so little elsewhere for us Luddites still using MobilePro 7##'s & Intermecs - its a resource of great value to us -  & I too would be happy to contribute to its continuance ...<br />RJ99<br />
Nick Charlton (Can'
Nick Charlton (Can' Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 4:39 PM
#
Hi,

I'm here if you need me, C:Aime

I agree with the PayPal donations, but not with the Subscription.

Ads arn't great, but would help everyone.

Nick
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-21 6:09 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yeah i agree with Nick. a membership fee would be horrible.. just imo. i'd gladly give some donation via paypal or otherwise, but membership fee? nooo no way. a lot of ppl with hpc's need help, and what would it look like if they couldn't get it for free (like ppc and palm users can)?!
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 12