x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Ghisler's Total Commander 2.0

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-19 11:44 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

To some Handheld PC users, the native file browsing and management capabilities offered through Windows (CE) Explorer are frustratingly inadequate.

If you are one of these users, then the chances are that you are looking for a program that offers a single task, customisable, integrated approach to file management. If that sounds like what you are looking for from your H/PC's file manager then Ghisler's Total Commander 2.0 could be what you are looking for.

Monica Erdody dives into the Ghisler file management vision to see if it can better Microsoft's offering.

Read the review and have your say here on the forums.

Review: Total Commander 2.0
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-09-19 2:18 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Monica

Nice work on the Total Commander Review - I really enjoyed it!

Hope to read more of your reviews on HPC Factor in the future.
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-20 1:43 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Total commander is great. I find the limitations minor in nature compared to what the product does. My only gripe is stalling on a directory list of files where some files arre missing 24 bit icons (that's how it was explained to me.) Otherwise, thank you Mr. Ghisler for an indespensable tool.

One nag. TCMD constantly locks my Casio E200 ppc but without shipping my unit to the developer I'm afraid it's a problem that may never disappear. It never locks up the g/f J565. It's smooth and reliable there.
mako
mako Page Icon Posted 2005-10-15 2:46 AM
#
Great program. Neato features. Can the Notepad be used indendently of the whole program. But I prefer the two window tree where the right one is the subset of the first. Is there any way to shift to that view. The totally independent windows is useful sometimes, but mostly not.
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-15 9:49 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Is there a version for CE 1, or if not, a different Explorer replacement that is compatible with CE 1.0?
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 8:33 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I just installed TC on my Aero 8000 a few days ago, and I'm impressed! I don't think I realized how limiting PE is. Love the split screen and the "real Windows" feel. For no cost this is a great deal! Thanks for the review, Monica.
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 8:57 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yes, it is an excellent program .. I have it on my 360LX and on my iPAQ...
quiche Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 1:18 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I have Total Commander on all my devices and I love it. The best thing about the program is that it has versions for most Windows CE devices out there.

There is only one glitch. It is a bit awkward in unzipping files. Or else I just haven't figured out the trick to it yet. I always turn to my EZUnzip program - because within that program you can execute a cab file without unzipping the whole zipped file.

Otherwise, I adore Total Commander. I've only been using it a couple of weeks. So I'm sure I have loads to learn.
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 2:51 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Not to steal any thunder from Ghisler but don't forget GSFinder. It's as close to Windows explorer as you're going to get for free. It handles zip/lha very well IMO.

Resco Explorer is also top notch but costs money.

I use TCM for my everyday management because you can't beat the dual wiindows. GSFinder and Resco are used when I want more than copy/move operations.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 3:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2006-01-24 8:51 PM

GSFinder and Resco are used when I want more than copy/move operations.

why? i use it for much more than copy/move
but one thing in gsfinder thats really great is file associations..!
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10