x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sharp Mobilon battery

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
striker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-27 5:53 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm looking for the part number for a AA battery holder for a Sharp Mobilon HC-4500. I know the part number for the rechargeable battery pack is HC-BN01, if that helps. My battery pack is crap & I'd like to start using AA's. Just looking for a part number, but if anyone has any leads on where to get one cheap, that would be cool too. Thanks!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-27 6:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i take it you want to give up on a true mobile lifestyle? using AA batteries for a colour HPC is going to mean that
it might be a better idea to just rebuild your battery pack (if only the cells are dead).
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-09-27 7:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

There never was any AA battery holder/adpater for the 4500 or 4600 that I know of. My old 4100 ran on two AA batteries, but it was monochrome. I doubt you'd get more an a couple of hours out of a pair of AA batteries on the color units. I'd just rebuild the batteries with new NiCads....

I also believe (I can't remember to be sure) that the batteries within the HC-BN01 were shorter than AAs, maybe AF size. But these days you should be able to replace the originals with higher capacity cells and get more than the original 2450 mAh out of them.

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-27 8:15 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

omg, did it have ni-cads in the battery pack? how insane it should have li-ions, would offer higher capacity
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-09-27 8:21 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Just get a new battery. Here is a link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sharp-Mobilon-HC-4100-4500-4600-Main-Battery-CM...

Edited by Yoldering 2005-09-27 8:22 PM
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 7:51 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

striker

If you are interested, here is a pretty good review of the Sharp Mobilon HC-4500.
I did notice that there was no mention of the AA battery holder...perhaps one never existed?

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_archives/may98/sharphpc.asp
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 7:53 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I agree...$20 for the batteries shipped to you...can't beat that.

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 2:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Yoldering - 2005-09-28 2:21 AM

Just get a new battery. Here is a link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sharp-Mobilon-HC-4100-4500-4600-Main-Battery-CM...

"It is a Ni-MH battery at 2.4 volts and rated at 2450mAh. Battery was made in Japan. We checked the batteries with a volt meter and they show up as 2.6-2.8 volts, so these are actually better as they hold more power!"

LOL.....
this only means they're (almost) fully charged
 Top of the page
striker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 3:25 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

well, this unit DID come with a holder to hold normal batteries. i have the original battery pack apart, and i can fit two AA NiMH batteries in there. the original batteries in the thing were 2 AA-type (similar to AA) 2.4v 2450mAh.

i have in my posession at least 4 AA 1.2v (in series, 2 would make 2.4v), 2400mAh NiMH batteries. my thought was to get the original battery holder to hold my NiMH cells. that way i could just swap in new batteries whenever the other ones die. get it?

if i just rebuild the battery pack or buy a new one, i would still have to slap it on the charger every time the battery pack died. i just figured it would be easier to buy a stock AA holder for $10 so i can swap batteries myself
 Top of the page
striker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 4:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

ok, i lied. it turns out there was no AA battery holder available for the 4500. i'm still very disappointed that no one could come up with anything intelligent to say about my question though.

anyway, i found there are 3 other ways to cram AA's into this thing (not including rebuilding the original battery pack):

1) use an AA battery cover from a HC-4100 (this was not standard equipment & may be hard to find, but it will still fit a 4500/4600)

2) modify the battery cover that comes from the HC-DS01 docking station (i happen to NOT have one of those, but i hear it could work)

3) make one yourself from buying spare parts(http://www.pocketpccity.com/boards/Mobilon/messages/12267.html)

both www.batteriesamerica.com and thomas-distributing.com have rechargeable batteries that are over 2450mAh, at decent prices. or, if you're rebuilding the battery pack, you could get Sanyo HR-AU "A" size 2700mAh batteries (about $5 a piece)
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 5:04 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Edited by Yoldering 2005-09-28 5:08 PM
 Top of the page
striker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 5:15 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

well no one ended up helping me anyway, but....

i think i'm going to replace the cells in the original rechargeable batteries. i already have the thing open & i have the NiMH replacements. total cost - $0. the problem with buying used handheld batteries on ebay is that you never know how much life is left in the cells. rechargeables don't last forever, and i'd be hesitant to believe what their "super scientific battery life test results" show.

in case anyone is curious, here is an excellent writeup of how to replace the cells in the original battery: http://www.pocketpccity.com/boards/Mobilon/messages/14111.html
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 7:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I guess we couldn't come up with anything "intelligent" because we just don't know anything intelligent.

But I owned both an HC-4100 and HC-4500 at one time and I seem to remember that the AA battery thing did not fit my 4500 at all. Are you sure about the AA cover?

Been a while, so I might be wrong. I'd be careful about replacing NiCad with NiMH...it's possible to burn out some cells with an advanced charging rate.

Rich

ps Cmonex, I hated the keyboard with those little square button keys....

Edited by Rich Hawley 2005-09-28 8:02 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 9:15 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rich Hawley - 2005-09-29 1:59 AM

ps Cmonex, I hated the keyboard with those little square button keys....

IMO way better than the round keys on the velo 1... or on the MC16... or psion 3a..

Edited by cmonex 2005-09-28 9:17 PM
 Top of the page
striker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-29 11:33 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

did you check the ebay post? the HC-BN01 battery is a NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) battery, NOT a NiCad (Nickel Cadmium). NO NiCad. none. seriously. i'd be replacing a NiMH battery with a higher powered NiMH battery, so as long as i keep the thermal diode in place from the original battery pack, i have no worries about charging rate or heat.

as for the HC-4100 - it uses the HC-BN01 battery pack as well. since the battery pack fits both units, wouldn't the battery cover? they're the same form factor, right? i guess we'll never find out, because it looks like they're almost impossible to find & it would cost too much to build one from gathering the parts necessary & assembling one

yeah, the keys suck... but i got this thing for free, so i can't complain. i have a jornada 690 that i would usually use, but i couldn't get it working with my WiFi. so i figured i'd try to get the ol' Mobilon running to see if it has the same problems
 Top of the page
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9