x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Open Consultation on HPC:Factor

1 2
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-29 2:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-09-29 7:46 AM

Interactive hcl updates. I've lost count of what I've submitted and why it never appears

oh yes it would be a good idea. so it is not just me ....
 Top of the page Quote Reply
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-29 2:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-09-29 6:35 PM

HCL email system we've covered before privately. I have not been able to manually reproduce any missing submissions from the site.

ok, it's not my responsibility to convince you.

The HCL flat view isn't the only way to get to see drivers, literally click on the 'Notes & Downloads' text in the HCL view and it'll give you the file links. This is already on the help overview.

thanks for the tip, i didn't really know this. still i'd propose an easier way to access the download links. but it might be just me.

Images should work on CE1 - chances are it's a cache issue. There are intentionally no PNG or TIFFs on this site, and that is to maintain compatibility.

i didn't complain about images, i meant mainly that the forum is not working on CE 2.0, or 2.11. (for example for CybaCowboy)

This user idea of yours is the first I've heard of it. All mod's were given the opportunity to submit feature requests to PD9 using the HPC:Factor admin account from when the board was in late Alpha / early Beta. If you didn't get this submitted months ago... it's too late now.

oh well i've mentioned it to you when beta testing... i didn't know you didn't remember that.
so i'm really sorry to hear that it won't be implemented. i can live without it of course
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-29 4:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The HCL download is on the help page, I can't exactly force people to read the help image. If you think there is a better way to present the HCD information, in that view without cluttering it, I'd love to hear it.

I'll see about adding a email responder to the HCD submission form. That way if you get the automatic email from the server, you know we got the submit.

cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-29 8:42 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-09-29 10:12 PM

The HCL download is on the help page, I can't exactly force people to read the help image. If you think there is a better way to present the HCD information, in that view without cluttering it, I'd love to hear it.

I'll see about adding a email responder to the HCD submission form. That way if you get the automatic email from the server, you know we got the submit.

oh the email responder would be a really nice idea!

about the download links.. it could be the default view, but i know that would ruin the idea of the nice pics for representing compatibility
i'll think about it a little more.
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-09-30 4:48 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

What I'd love to see is for HPCFactor to work with Henri to make sure that his excellent 7xx pages continue to go from strength to strength - and also work on more browsers. I'd simply love it if HPCfactor and Henri could come to an agreement whereby others (perhaps a core team) could update henri's work, perhaps in a wiki-style development?

I'd also like to see the focus on Windows CE shifted slightly: to me, the site name implies that it's all about the HPC form factor. Personally, I see this as meaning a clamshell device with a decent keyboard, integrated PIM, instant on for preference (but not exclusively) and definitely not just windows CE devices.

With the Zaurus range (which I've just started playing with) and interesting devices like the OQO and especially the flipstartpc coming around, I think considerable numbers of the HPCFactor faithful will be looking at these as replacements for their existing devices.

The community within HPCFactor is strong and incredibly helpful: this is without doubt the best part of being involved in this community, so whatever we do we need to make sure we don't fragment the communtiy... I realise that by opening up to other devices we might be causing problems, but on the whole I think it's definitely worth the risk.

I applaud you for asking this question; on another forum that I moderate, let's just say that things are approached differently and it has caused no small amount of friction. Mind you, they have now got over 50,000 members so it's a little bit different...

Cheers,
Nick.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-30 4:51 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The HCL was moddeled around the Microsoft HCL concept, the difference is that on theirs they shelled out into drivers using a database pull from a popup box, and in mine I wanted to avoid pop-ups and the headache that they cause. So put them into a DHTML hidden element which expand out the notes and drivers - but it is apparent that there are a lot of users who; for whatever reason - have failed to notice that this is there.

I added the flat view mainly for 802.11 browsers who want to see the notes side-by-side, and I think it's been useful for that (though information is missing on a number of adapters).

One thing that I think a couple of people over the years have hinted at wanting to have - or even assumed that we already had - was automatic submission/entry into the main HCL. This (for anyone under the opposite impression) is Not the case. HCD submissions are sent to the site owners and we deal with them on a one to one basis.

Oh, in case anyone was wondering a HCD is a Hardware Compatibility Data Submission which is how they appear to the Admin's.

I recently made some minor changes, had a code cleanup on the HCL and improved its performance. The next time I perform maintenance on the HCL I will write in the auto responder.
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-10-01 3:20 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I simply think there should be good beginner information, especially on the devices themselves. Right now we only have a device list within the hardware section, and a pretty long text on Windows CE history.

What I think we need is something that's "newbie friendly". If someone stumbled upon HPC:Factor for some reason, and never heard of HPCs, they should be able to find out our story easily. There should be an introduction page that is short but informative enough to explain what an HPC is and why it's different from other forms of PDAs or laptops.

After the introduction, we can have a recommended devices page, highlighting popular models, their characteristics, and how to obtain them. And then brief on other models. That should give an idea on how to join us

The third, mmm, lesson would be software and accessories. We obviously can't catalog all software, but at least explain the differences in CE versions and CPU types, and perhaps link to Henri's and Rich's sites. For accessories, we need to explain the slots and connections.

With the above basics down, I think the newbie will no longer be - the HPC user can now be comfortable digging up CESD articles himself/herself for further help on all things HPC
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-06 6:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

takwu,

Point 1 is being worked upon, but given time limitations it's a slow process as there is an awful lot of fundimental content in it - as I'm sure you can imagine.

Point 2, this I'd like to see more flashback reviews written for the site to cover some of this. For the rest I was actually going along the lines of a buyers guide.

Point 3, again it's on the agenda to be covered - except for the software inventory which has been well discussed.

---

So where are we at. *sigh*
The fourm core is still stuck in RC, and an admin vote's put taking a pre-release roll-out off the agenda. So we're sticking this one out - sorry folks.

John spent most of this week tracking down some DNS replication glitches and clobbering the SMTP server to get it to actually send my email. Yes, according to the hpcfactor mail server, I am the worlds most prolific spammer! Having gained this reputation, I'm perplexed as to why I'm not rich? Good news (?) is I seem to be able to email again. Due to the above two points, the new server isn't even installed yet - please address all death threats to Insurgent.

I am hoping that I can refrain from having to run purge on the forum access logs - aside from the fact that I don't think the server could cope right now, they're kinda useful. With the 2.2 rtm I'll be doing it monthly just so you all know.
PM sent items will be automatically cleared every month. Inbox PM's and messages will not be cleared out (except for hpcBay - which is recycled from time to time anyway).

Over all, not much to report yet. Other than tightening up the hpcBay rules (which I hope by now you've all seen) it's been a quiet week.

Please keep the ideas, thoughts etc coming
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 16