x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Velo 1 Discussion Zone

« Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »
lil Page Icon Posted 2007-04-12 3:26 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Thought I'd chime in here...

I have a Velo 1, love it and it's in pretty good nick too for its age (10 years old!), it's got 12MB and the CE 2.0 upgrade and still looks pretty mint.

Shame my Velo 500 is dead And a bigger shame that I sold a working Velo 500 about five years ago... Can't find them that easily now.

Vicky
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-12 5:41 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

my velo 1 was my first ce 1.0 hpc
 Top of the page
lil Page Icon Posted 2007-04-13 2:50 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

It would be quiote easy to downgrade mine for the hell of it to CE 1.0 but, 2.0 is so much better it's made no sense to go backwards and for a 36MHz MIPS machine, the Velo 1 is pretty darn nippy. In fact I seem to recall the Velo being one of the better performing devices in the early monochrome CE 1/2 days (1997/98), never seemed to lag as much as other devices. Certainly this was the impression I got from using HP's 320LX, a Phenom H120-F (80MHz SH3) and various Casio H/PCs.

In fact, I would say most other handheld PCs I have owned up until the Jornada 720 didn't have the same kind of snappiness. Maybe I'm wrong but having a monochrome screen and less to power within the unit itself (compact flash and PCMCIA--which is a disadvantage too) made it the idea road warrior option.

Long may it continue to function! Just need to find a Velo 500 now.

Vicky
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-13 4:33 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

actually a CF slot wouldn't have hurt. the fastest ce 2.0 machine, IMO, is the nec 750c. then the velo. but yes, the velo is amazing.
 Top of the page
lil Page Icon Posted 2007-04-13 6:54 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Oh sure the CF slot would have been a big boost which is why I said it was also a disadvantage, but it's possible the added space for one would have made the Velo 1/500 a bit bigger. Unless of course it didn't have a minature DRAM expansion slot.

There again, the Minature DRAM feature though now as rare as the hen's teeth, did provide an easy-ish way of expanding the units real RAM capacity.

That said, my Velo 1 is bursting at the seams with Pocket Word documents and it's not anywhere near full and that's with most of the CE 2.0 Upgrade files resident in memory!

Of course, the J720 is taking most of the work horse brunt these days but it's mostly limited to indoor work where as the Velo 1 functions nicely outside.
 Top of the page
needing help
needing help Page Icon Posted 2007-12-07 10:20 PM
#
I just snagged a velo, from a box of parts, it has a base, and workd great, but I want to hook it up to my 95 machine what software do i need to do that?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-12-07 11:05 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
matthew
matthew Page Icon Posted 2008-01-10 3:54 PM
#
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the Windows CE 1.0 included with the Velo 1 has spell check included as a feature?

Thanks,

matthew
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-01-10 5:03 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It does not. This was introduced with 2.x.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 28