x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Editorial: It's Time for Mobile Office Applications to Go

1 2 3
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-23 6:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-10-23 11:20 PM

That is exceptionally difficult an ask, given the nature of the PDA world and the constant flux of the de factor CPU architecture standard, it's not a promise easily made. Now, if we all settled down to PXA255 and lived happily ever after... but that wont happen. People want the CPU speed, performance and power optimisation. That alas means the need to be closer to the front line of CPU technology than the creaky IA32 / EM64T we all use on the Windows PC.

Change architecture and you lose optimisation... and while you are looking at seeing backwards compatibility for a couple of generations, will you want MO Pro to be underperforming on that new Clamshell 2GHz PDA you'll be buying yourself in 2007?
Of course the fastest way around that is for them to recompile it and give it to everyone as the CPU core gets bumped... but this is Microsoft we're talking about... ever known that to happen?
We could always give in to MS and pay annual application subscriptions, guarantees the latest and greatest for only £30 a month!

that's why i don't ask for 10 years...

probably i wont buy 2 Ghz pda's in 2007 so no problem
even if i did, a reasonable upgrade fee isn't bad. if that isn't offered i'll settle for the stupid pocket office then...
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-23 6:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

How long do you consider reasonable though?
WinCE releases are particularly difficult to judge

No 2GHz by 2007?
hum, it's a viable for a 1GHz XScale currently, Moores law states a doubling of capacity ever 18 months. Depending on how fast they get 1GHz to market... it could be close! Will CE even exist in 2007 for us to put MO onto?
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-23 7:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-10-24 12:53 AM

Will CE even exist in 2007 for us to put MO onto?

hehe, that's the point
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-10-23 7:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-10-23 3:53 PM

Don't scare me, C: Amie!
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-23 8:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2005-10-24 1:55 AM

dont worry it will exist... if we don't break all h/pc's until that...
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2005-10-23 8:10 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

dazz - 2005-10-23 4:54 PM

Yep!! One thing I can't stand is someone that is only interested in pushing their own opinion and not open to discussion. The only thing I hate more is someone that is not flexible enough to consider changing their opinion.

On that note Clinton, any changes of opinion after reading through other people's ideas on the subject?

Nope!

I still contend that pulling it out and creating a stand alone Office Suite for the mobile community is the best solution. That said, I would say that your idea is a great compromise solution to the problem.

I didn't write the article for everyone to agree with me buddy. I wrote it to get people talking... and you all fell into my little rabbit hole!

And the naysayers say that the H/PC community is dead... sheesh....
dazz
dazz Page Icon Posted 2005-10-23 9:43 PM
#
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-10-24 12:01 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2005-10-23 5:01 PM

CE Geek - 2005-10-24 1:55 AM

dont worry it will exist... if we don't break all h/pc's until that...

I meant CE development - including Windows Mobile. I'm still hopeful for a revival of the H/PC form factor. (I'm a dreamer - can't help it.)
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-10-24 1:58 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Clint

Interesting Article!

My only concern is that a new MS Office Suite for Mobile Office Apps, might have some very adverse effects on 3rd party developers of word processor and spread sheet software. What will become of Softmaker, Z4Soft and Bye Design Ltd? Will they survive competing with MS? I would hate to see these products disappear from the already limited 3rd party CE software market.
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2005-10-24 2:15 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

Hurricane John - 2005-10-24 12:58 PM

Clint

Interesting Article!

My only concern is that a new MS Office Suite for Mobile Office Apps, might have some very adverse effects on 3rd party developers of word processor and spread sheet software. What will become of Softmaker, Z4Soft and Bye Design Ltd? Will they survive competing with MS? I would hate to see these products disappear from the already limited 3rd party CE software market.

Hope you are doing well down there with Wilma bashing about....

It's a possible side effect yes, but I think that the developers out there would continue to improve their products and many users, who already have these 3rd party applications, would continue to use them.

If by some stroke of Mr. Gate's pen my idea here was put into motion, I believe Microsoft is way, way behind the curve on this and while they have the financial and talent resources to cope, I don't think they would completely negate the applications out there today.

I for one would have to be completely convinced before giving up TextMaker.
Wodd Page Icon Posted 2006-08-14 11:44 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I would say that they would not nessicarily have to go, but ubdates would be nice. The only main thing that would need serious updating would be PowerPoint Viewer Mobile (they call it PowerPoint Mobile). I do not have a pocket PC, but I have used them before. I thought that Word Mobile and Excel Mobile were OK, but their "PowerPoint Mobile" (A.K.A. PowerPoint Viwer Mobile) program is practically useless unless you have presentations to view, and you like just being able to do so. I could not find a single way to make a presentation with PowerPoint Mobile (as it is called on the device).
chrismrulz
chrismrulz Page Icon Posted 2006-11-07 11:52 PM
#
umm.. few things about the article..
the internet grows at 200 thousand pages per day?
even something like ebay alone..
millions of items are sold with new pages made up for them every day.
200 thousand new domain name's i'd believe but not pages..

and yes most users may have 1gb sd cards but since when is the windows mobile rom stored on sd?
even the best have 256mb internal rom at the most.
and every megabyte extra the rom takes up = less virtual memory for applications and leaves less space for fragmentation which is already a huge issue in WM5.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-11-08 8:05 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think that you have misread the article, Clinton is suggesting removing office from ROM and selling it as a stand-alone application - to a desktop standard. Nothing about what you have stated.
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 26