x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Editorial: It's Time for Mobile Office Applications to Go

1 2 3
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 9:37 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

He is preaching to the choir. My 900C didn't come with the office suite, but a bunch of third party add-ons embedded in the rom chip...so what else is new? But I disagree with his premise that MS should just do away entirely with the Pocket Office applications. They are small and limited, but they are functional and do not consume a great deal of space. So just let them sit there and be used by those who cannot afford to buy Textmaker or Pocket Slides.

Better yet: Leave them out of the rom chip entirely and just provide them free of charge as a download to whoever wants them.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2005-10-22 9:47 AM
 Top of the page Quote Reply
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 11:39 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-10-22 2:00 PM

Isn't the fact of the matter that the Handheld PC is already at this point? OK, so the Core devices come with WordPad - which is sometimes renamed Pocket Word (to Platform Builder it is Wordpad), but aside from that, the device is handicapped to its Operating System, with no suite currently existing for the form factor.
Based on it being a core device, there is nothing to say OEM's have to even put Wordpad on it in the first place - and then you're at the point where we are with Palm OS and the old Palm-Size PC ideal.

Having a fully fledged Office release from Microsoft could revitalise the form factor - the thin client paradigm could shift further into the office space... but only if the price is right. £600 is plain too much on the desktop, but in a market where you can pick up a low end (new) WM device for sub £150 and a core device for sub £500, the numbers plain do not add up.

well, no, i still have pocketword and the OEM's usually add a spreadsheet thingie as well bsquare spreadsheet on the 900C, similar on the PHH... oh well sigmarion III doesn't have an excel editor, only viewer. well if sig3 had a user accessible flash ram that would help... i would just put spreadCE there. but i'm much more of a word user than an excel user
so no, i don't think it is like a palm!

oh something else.. why would we strip the basic office out of the ROM? i'm sure they don't consume more than a couple of megabytes. even with WM5, it wouldn't help much

Edited by cmonex 2005-10-22 11:42 AM
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 11:40 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Juergen - 2005-10-22 3:23 PM

mewiedman has made my point, too. Yes, I have Textmaker and Planmaker installed on my device, but still most of the time I'm using WordPad and Pocket Excel. Most of the time I want to input or edit short sets of data with no need to format them ready to print or whatsoever. I don't want to fire up a huge office suite to do so, just switch on my device, type in a few things and then switch it off again. Especially Pocket Excel is essential for me - input some numbers into a ready-made sheet which does some calculations automatically and get the results I need at once. Planmaker eats up my device's ram to much to have it up and running all the time. Same with Textmaker - too big for taking short notes. If there were no WordPad I would use some plain text editor for my notes and resent not being able to highlight important things. The only stuff I always missed in WordPad (since my first keyboard device was a Psion and I got used to a certain amount of text editing comfort): tables for structuring complex passages and embedded images. Both features are now included in WM 5.0's WordPad. I'm thankful for that.

what do you call Pocket Excel on your ce.net devices? or have you got the old pocket excel out of some ROM?

hehe i was a psion user myself and images would be nice, yeah.
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 1:14 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

cmonex - 2005-10-21 9:01 PM

ok then i'm the exception. i'm happy with hpc pocketword. works 90% of the time for me. i think that's decent from a 5 year old "pocket" application.
of course i don't expect it to always work and then textmaker or a ce.net viewer helps me out.
and really you can end up with a situation where you have only the device itself. i don't want to go palm's way where you can't have a built in office! (or has it changed since then and docs to go is preinstalled in rom?)

of course, if i had to decide between a builtin pocket office and the separate full fledged mobile office, i would need to choose the later.

And you may very well be the exception. My idea is just that - an idea. I'm not saying it is perfect and I'm not saying it would every make sense for everyone.

All I'm saying is that the applications need to either be fully developed or dropped out of the ROM images and made fully developed in a stand alone package.

clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 1:16 PM
#
H/PC Elite

tenjeangosi - 2005-10-21 9:08 PM

The only problem with this idea (well, not exactly a big problem), but think on how expensive the full mobile suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook), hey that is almost the Office 2003 Profesional, except without Publisher. Are people ready to fork on about another 2-300 USD to Microsft?

Joseph

That is a concern for me as well Joseph. It could easily turn out to be several hundred quid to do this and at that point would be useless.

But if it were say $100-$150, I bet it would sell - bigtime.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 3:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

clintonf3 - 2005-10-22 7:14 PM

And you may very well be the exception. My idea is just that - an idea. I'm not saying it is perfect and I'm not saying it would every make sense for everyone.

All I'm saying is that the applications need to either be fully developed or dropped out of the ROM images and made fully developed in a stand alone package.

yes, i know that it was just a proposal. just like mine. but MS will decide... not us
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 5:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

mewiedman - 2005-10-22 5:17 AM

8. You can have different color fonts in Pocket Word, I'm missing the point there.

Got me there. I'd already found color-font capability in Pocket Word, but then promptly forgot cuz I've never used it. (Duh!) Still, it would be a big step if one could insert images into PW documents.

6. Sure, I'd love to have full featured office suite built in - fast running and full features, but then wouldn't the file size go up? Then my 1Gb CF card will start to look pretty small. (I need all that space for music and videos, you know ).

True, but that's nothing new. Meanwhile, the prices of the cards keep going down - and the increased demand for data storage, without a monopoly in that market, will drive them down further. (I still see old ads on some CE-related Web sites for 256 MB CF cards selling for $160, when I just bought one yesterday for $10. ) We might have to carry a few cards (one for document apps, one for image apps, one for game apps, one for music files, one for videos, etc) instead of just one or two, but I think that's a relatively small adjustment.

7. I think a Flash ROM office suite that could be updated might be the best. Also, knowing that MS will keep adding features of the Office suite, this is one way to have the performance without guaranteed obsolescence.

I like this idea. However, I can see the advantage of having the entire application on a storage card for those of us who have multiple CE devices.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 7:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2005-10-22 11:29 PM

We might have to carry a few cards (one for document apps, one for image apps, one for game apps, one for music files, one for videos, etc) instead of just one or two, but I think that's a relatively small adjustment.

for me it wouldn't be a "relatively small adjustment"

it is enough that i have to switch bluetooth and wlan cards... not the same scene for memory cards please
dazz
dazz Page Icon Posted 2005-10-23 2:14 PM
#
Clinton and others, sorry, I don't agree.

My full response is here:
http://smartmobileassets.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl/Blah.pl?,v=displa...

Basically, dropping Mobile Office would seem like WAY too much of a step backward. If storage is the issue it would be better to just add more ROM. If we just need a better Mobile Office then perhaps MS can create a PRO version.

Dropping MO altogether is a bad idea.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-23 3:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

clintonf3 - 2005-10-22 7:16 PM

That is a concern for me as well Joseph. It could easily turn out to be several hundred quid to do this and at that point would be useless.

But if it were say $100-$150, I bet it would sell - bigtime.

i would pay 100$ only if i could be sure i can use it on all my devices now and in the future.
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2005-10-23 3:55 PM
#
H/PC Elite

cmonex - 2005-10-23 2:00 PM

i would pay 100$ only if i could be sure i can use it on all my devices now and in the future.

I think that is an unrealistic expectation with regards to the future. It is unreasonable to ask that even of applications on the desktop today.

clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2005-10-23 4:00 PM
#
H/PC Elite

dazz - 2005-10-23 1:14 PM

Clinton and others, sorry, I don't agree.

My full response is here:
http://smartmobileassets.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl/Blah.pl?,v=displa...

Basically, dropping Mobile Office would seem like WAY too much of a step backward. If storage is the issue it would be better to just add more ROM. If we just need a better Mobile Office then perhaps MS can create a PRO version.

Dropping MO altogether is a bad idea.

Darren, great article and rebuttal (if that's the proper term....). I think your idea of a "pro" version as an option may be a good compromise between what is available today on the devices and what I'm proposing.

Well done!

(For those who haven't noticed or are new to the boards, I'm not "my way or the highway" on editorials. I look at editorials as just that: MY opinion. I appreciate all the feedback everyone has posted on this topic this weekend. It has been good to see and a lot of ideas have come out.)
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-23 5:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

clintonf3 - 2005-10-23 9:55 PM

I think that is an unrealistic expectation with regards to the future. It is unreasonable to ask that even of applications on the desktop today.

well, if it is so expensive it is not unrealistic to ask. i didn't mean it should be good for 10 years, just a few. and basically backward compatibility is all i ask for. the app should run on not only CE 4 or 5, but on CE 6, CE 7...
(i just wouldn't like to pay 100$ or 150$ more for each device i buy...)

Edited by cmonex 2005-10-23 5:11 PM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-23 5:20 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That is exceptionally difficult an ask, given the nature of the PDA world and the constant flux of the de factor CPU architecture standard, it's not a promise easily made. Now, if we all settled down to PXA255 and lived happily ever after... but that wont happen. People want the CPU speed, performance and power optimisation. That alas means the need to be closer to the front line of CPU technology than the creaky IA32 / EM64T we all use on the Windows PC.

Change architecture and you lose optimisation... and while you are looking at seeing backwards compatibility for a couple of generations, will you want MO Pro to be underperforming on that new Clamshell 2GHz PDA you'll be buying yourself in 2007?
Of course the fastest way around that is for them to recompile it and give it to everyone as the CPU core gets bumped... but this is Microsoft we're talking about... ever known that to happen?
We could always give in to MS and pay annual application subscriptions, guarantees the latest and greatest for only £30 a month!
dazz
dazz Page Icon Posted 2005-10-23 5:54 PM
#
clintonf3 - 2005-10-23 4:00 PM
(For those who haven't noticed or are new to the boards, I'm not "my way or the highway" on editorials. I look at editorials as just that: MY opinion. I appreciate all the feedback everyone has posted on this topic this weekend. It has been good to see and a lot of ideas have come out.)

Yep!! One thing I can't stand is someone that is only interested in pushing their own opinion and not open to discussion. The only thing I hate more is someone that is not flexible enough to consider changing their opinion.

On that note Clinton, any changes of opinion after reading through other people's ideas on the subject?
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 15