x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Just to confirm if Agere Orinoco Classic Gold PC Card - Network Adapter - 8410-WD works on NEC MP790

Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-07 6:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi all,

Just to confirm if Agere Orinoco Classic Gold PC Card - Network Adapter - 8410-WD works on NEC MP790.

Also, is it true that the PCcard slot on the MP790 can only take 8/16-bit pccards and not 32-bit pccards?

In case anyone is interested, here it is ...
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10348445&loc=

*disclaimer* I do not endorse buy.com nor know their boss or get any freebies from them. Neither do they know me whatsoever.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-07 6:41 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

HCL dude.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-07 7:35 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ya, saw it listed there, but just want to be sure that it refers to this model (8410-WD). So I gues this is it eh?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-07 7:40 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ooops ... sorry about the multiple entries ... my DSL slowed to a crawl and I reclick the submit ... inevitably causing it ...

Hey, some comments needed ...

between the orinoco and a Netgear MA701, which would be prefered for a MP790 or HPC for that matter.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-07 8:40 PM
#
H/PC Elder

ok, hope I am not talking to myself here ...

The MP790 does not take cardbus (32-bit) pccard right?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-07 9:04 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I understand you completely on the occasional slow submit thing...but 3? Hehe C:Amie can help us out with that one. Anyway, the Orinoco seems to be a highly recommended card as it has much support. Someone who has the netgear would haveto reply on that though. As far as cardbus, I am almost positive that most hpc's use that, I really wouldn't worry. The Orinoco will work (Now don't hold me to that).
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-07 11:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

hehe ... guess my fingers are too fast for my network!

hmm ... if MP790 takes cardbus pccards, that should be good! ... btw, it seems like there are barely (or none) 802.11g cf cards or pccards with wince drivers. Is that why most of the wifi cards in the HCL are 802.11b ?

I found a Orinoco Gold 802.11a/b (8460) going cheap so I'm wondering if it is also included in the entry in the HCL.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-08 7:25 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CardBus will NOT work in CE.

The Linksys WCF54G is the first and currently only 802.11g that has the potential to run under CE. It is stated as CE 3 compatible, however they have not released drivers so I cannot check on HPC2000 compatibility.

I suspect that they are PPC only though.

G seems to need the higher bus offered by CardBus, the cards are more advanced because of the switching. B became the dominent standard over A, and rapidly became cheap and easy to impliment onto the narrow CE bus.

Drivers for Gold are in the HCL, as for 8460, I wasn't aware of the product breakdown.

OT: On the double (tripple ) posts - I'm looking into that, it is becoming a problem for certain.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-08 10:30 AM
#
H/PC Elder

C-Amie - 2004-12-08 5:25 AM

CardBus will NOT work in CE.

While this limits the number of cards available for use .... it is good I have not gotten them yet!

The Linksys WCF54G is the first and currently only 802.11g that has the potential to run under CE. It is stated as CE 3 compatible, however they have not released drivers so I cannot check on HPC2000 compatibility.

I suspect that they are PPC only though.

G seems to need the higher bus offered by CardBus, the cards are more advanced because of the switching. B became the dominent standard over A, and rapidly became cheap and easy to impliment onto the narrow CE bus.

Yeah, I was looking at the pcmcia.org site and ploughing thru the docs to get things straightened. Guess the 16-bit path and slower bus speed is a bit of a squeeze for G.

Drivers for Gold are in the HCL, as for 8460, I wasn't aware of the product breakdown.

OT: On the double (tripple ) posts - I'm looking into that, it is becoming a problem for certain.

I just realised that you gotta click on the mini "Notes" link to reveal the download ... frankly, not too intuitive is it?

How about just letting users click on the Tick image. Over even better, the ticks "glow" when you go across them, so it is more obvious that they are clickable?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.138 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 8