x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Trouble accessing cewindows.net

Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-08 10:27 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi folks,

Wondering if you guys have trouble accessing cewindows.net?

I tried ping and it timed out. But google shows that its crawlers are reaching it (or its archive?) ... and I keep seeing you folks refer to it like you just accessed it, so I thought maybe I should check.

Anyway, I called up qwest dsl and check with them. Funny thing was that one of their machines was able to access it while another could not. But the support folks could not figure out what's wrong ....

Anybody having problems as well?

Incidentally, I also cannot access gearxs.com
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-08 10:43 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I got to both on the first try. How are you trying to access them? Firefox works, if you are trying to get to them with your pc, I would download it. But wait, you don't have one! (Ok I am VERY mean) I'll test with my hpc soon.

-(please don't hurt me )
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-08 10:46 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Yup, it works on my 720. Maybe its about time that you reset your dsl modem. Just go into its options through your web browser to do it, or just unplug the thing. Sometimes this helps, as it also gives your computers new ip addresses (most of the time).
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-09 7:17 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sounds like you could be having some heafty DNS replication problems at your ISP. Try:
http://64.246.18.3/

EDIT: Scrub that, the site runs on host headders so wont work by IP.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-09 9:38 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah, I believe it is some DNS server thingie but my isp (qwest) is clueless about it!

I setup my wireless gateway (Actiontec) on a timer so that it switches off at night (saving electricity?) so my ip is re-leased at start of each day.

And, yes, I am not using my HPC .... yet! ... 3 hours away! hehe

I tried Firefox and IE but no go. I reckon it has nothing to do with the browser as a ping itself fails miserably.

There are couple of other sites that I have problems with as well. hmmm ... maybe that's why qwest offers their dsl for cheap ...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-09 10:07 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

An ISP that is clueless about DNS and charges people for them not being able to access sites ...

I want some of that pie! (!£ $ € ¥!)

Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-09 10:10 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I just found that I am not alone with this issue ...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12039985~mode=flat
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-09 10:23 AM
#
H/PC Elder

C-Amie - 2004-12-09 8:07 AM

An ISP that is clueless about DNS and charges people for them not being able to access sites ...

I want some of that pie! (!£ $ € ¥!)

Welcome to the Telco industry!

And for that matter most tech support that I've encountered are like this (except for the rare few). Many times customers (me) know more about their product than they do. And some of them will ignore your troubleshooting steps and insist on running through their standard steps. PalmOne tech support insisted that I hard/reset my T3 to make the buzzing sound go away! duh! A simple search on google shows that a reset *never* resolve it and yet .... *sigh*

Actually, I was happier that they admit they are clueless and cannot understand what's wrong than if they tried to lead me on a "You have to reinstall windows" solution! You will be amazed how many tech support calls lead users to reinstall their windows when all that is wrong is a faulty hardware or wrong setting.

oh well ...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-09 10:58 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hey! I solved the problem! ... sort of a work around. I setup my browser with a free proxy and now I can surf cewindows.net fine.

All I need to make sure is that the proxy server is trusted!
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-12-09 5:24 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Let me know how you did it, Snappy! I've been having a problem accessing that site for quite a while now. Been using the google caches or wayback machine, but having real access to the site will be more convenient.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-09 8:22 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi, I basically setup my browser to use a proxy server. I do not know if my isp (qwest) or yours has one, so I am using a free proxy server I found on the net. Granted, even if our isp do provide proxy servers, the server itself may not have access to the site that we are having trouble at the first place.

So, let me give you the ip for the free proxy server that I am currently using. 65.90.49.13, setting the port to 80. Note that on my PC I use it only for http and not for SSL or any other sockets. You probably do not want any of the ssl connections to go through some proxy servers unless they are trusted. Then again, you still want to be careful even with the non-ssl connection.

If you want to look for some other proxy servers, simply type "free proxy servers" into google and you will find many! Caveat emptor: The first few that I use was actually in Philipines and was hosting some p*** stuffs! I quickly change it to something else! phew! ... Some of the list identify the location and also has a link to whois so that you have some idea who is running the proxy.

Also, you can set an exclusion list in FireFox (and IE?) so that certain sites that you want direct access do not use the proxy server.

And of cos the best news is that this entry is made with my MP790 with wifi cf card! Woopee!

Its quite cool, this pretec cf wifi card that I got cheap. I did a sync with my MP and plug it in and I am off surfing the net. Hotmail, yahoo, google, hpcfactor(), cewindows.net (with proxy server) all works fine. Although the javascripts on hotmail does not work! ok, gotta go and dig through the forum about checking hotmail. Is it to use the mobile version of hotmail? (Yahoo automatically tells me that my browser will not work and a click directs me to the mobile version)

Strange isn't it? That Hotmail should not give me the correct version of html to display? Oh wait, on the .NET platform, the aspx pages are automatically tuned for the right browser. I guess they kinda forgot that HPCs are running on old browsers ....
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-09 9:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Try this server list
http://www.proxy4free.com
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-12-18 7:11 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks, Snappy! I found a local proxy on that list, and can now access cewindows.net, too!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-18 9:34 PM
#
H/PC Elder

ET3D - 2004-12-18 5:11 PM

Thanks, Snappy! I found a local proxy on that list, and can now access cewindows.net, too!

Greeeeaat!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10