x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Editorial: The Lost Art of Etiquette

clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2005-11-04 3:53 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

Group,

I posted a new editorial - this time on CF(D)C! - regarding the lost art of online (and road) etiquette.

The link is http://www.clintonfitch.com/editorials/102005/lostart.asp

I know it's on a PPC site but the views of the editorial will be appreciated I think....

Regards,
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-11-04 4:06 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi,

I agree with you, mainly with the following:

Keep quoted text to a minimum.

Without mentioning any names, I have found a lot of users quote the whole message, when the orginal message they are replying to is just above it. I don't mind on my PC's and my Laptop, but its so irritating on GPRS and on my HPC.

Nick
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-04 4:51 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Excellent editorial... . Now I know a great many of things to keep in mind now.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-11-04 7:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Another fine editorial my friend. Two in two weeks... you'll be after my job next

I'd like to add to the list - specifically applicable to syndromes that I have noticed recently on this forum.

Replying to different points in a previous post in several different individual replies

Replying to a thread in several different posts to several different people - causing a block of several posts all from you 60 seconds apart - if you have short-term memory recall, try "Open in new window"

Starting threads with a question as the title, and putting "Well?" (or similar) in the message body

...and finally...

Titling your post "Help". If you walk into a PC repair shop you don't exclaim, "Help!" over the counter and then fall silent. And no, contrary to what you're thinking I'm not more inclined to view your post because of the adage "curiosity killed the cat"; I'm actually more likely to resent the fact that you're attempting to drag me into something I have absolutely nothing to add to.
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-05 12:15 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-11-04 4:06 PM

Titling your post "Help". If you walk into a PC repair shop you don't exclaim, "Help!" over the counter and then fall silent. And no, contrary to what you're thinking I'm not more inclined to view your post because of the adage "curiosity killed the cat"; I'm actually more likely to resent the fact that you're attempting to drag me into something I have absolutely nothing to add to.

Yes, that has been my main pet peeve on the forum lately. Same with people quoting the entire text of the last post...sometimes those could be a few screenfulls! Please, no one do that.
Jornada 660lx Page Icon Posted 2005-11-13 9:30 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I dont enjoy reading a newbie's one run-on sentence which covers a whole books-worth of problems about his H/pc. and sometimes covers nothing at all
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 30