x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

John Ottini's 2004 Top-10 List

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-09 4:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Looking for gift ideas for that special Handheld PC user in your life this holiday season?
Or perhaps you're just looking out for some great software ideas for 2005!

John Ottini, long standing Handheld PC fan and advocate. Familiar to many as the NEC MobilePro guru from Pocket PC Magazine's forums, as well as editorial regular on HPC:Factor. John clearly know a thing or two about what he likes to see on the H/PC.

As 2004 draws to a close, take a look at the applications John rates in his all time personal Top-10 list for 2004 and have your say right here on the forums!

View: John Ottini's 2004 Top-10 List
 Top of the page Quote Reply
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-10 3:45 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Great stuff, glad I found RezInfo through this. As far as your white background problem (very off topic don't continue on this thread) just open paint to a 640x240 image, color white, and save as bmp. Then use that for your background. Most likely virtualce would have a setting to lower graphics anyway...
takwu Page Icon Posted 2004-12-10 4:40 AM
#
H/PC Elder

yay! John Ottini!

Interesting note about switching to ARM software. I always guessed it would be easier to find software for ARM, as I had the not-so-smooth experience with my first Pocket PC - a Cassiopeia running MIPS. I guess that's true on this platform as well, according to John.

I downloaded half of those top 10. But as usual they might sit there for a few weeks before I try them

btw, the link to Launch Force has an extra "http://" and "/" front and back, so it won't work without editing.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-10 8:27 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I personally have always found it easier to get ARM than MIPS - the binaries are smaller too.
If you're changing platform though, you have all your commonly used, taken for granted applications and then have to dig out newer ARM versions.
With MIPS you have the luxury of software back to CE1, where as ARM only started to appear under Pro, and came into its own under 2000.
If you use a lot of legacy applications, it is easy to see where the problems could be.

URL problem fixed, thanks.
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2004-12-10 8:29 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

crucifyself03 - 2004-12-09 5:02 PM

Where did you get your pure White HPC2000 background image or can I activate this in my HPC? This would be better for apps like Virtual CE which hate graphics.

John

Settings/Control Panel/Display/Appearance

Under - Item: select "Desktop" from Drop down menu and set the color to white.

As for the background image - its the standard logo800x600.

There you have it - a nice white background.

John
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2004-12-10 8:42 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

C-Amie - 2004-12-10 8:27 AM

If you're changing platform though, you have all your commonly used, taken for granted applications and then have to dig out newer ARM versions.
With MIPS you have the luxury of software back to CE1, where as ARM only started to appear under Pro, and came into its own under 2000.
If you use a lot of legacy applications, it is easy to see where the problems could be.

URL problem fixed, thanks.

Chris

You hit the nail on the head. As HPC's slowly lost the popularity contest, there were a number of excellent software titles that never made the transition from MIPS/SH3-4 to ARMS. The software developers who created them, either switched to producing PPC stuff or just folded.
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-10 11:49 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

New thread...
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2004-12-12 2:32 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

John Ottini is a great asset to the HPC community and I want to publicly thank him for all his hard work here and on the PPC Mag forums (he leads the NEC 7xx group).

John, you do good work buddy!

Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.195 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 32