x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Complete Newbie

1 2 3 4
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 12:12 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

A bad bit of rom would prevent your handheld from working completely.

Most likely, the Linux applications support the maximum colors better than CE, especially IE. Isn't that the program that doesn't support more than 256 colors regardless of the update?

I would suggest checking out www.linuxquestions.org , www.linuxjournal.com (excellent site, you should read through some of it), www.linux.org , and if you just want to look at another link: www.linuxhq.com

When I get the pentium into its new case (which happens to be an intel 220T hub... ), my site will be up 24/7. I will then see to getting either links up, or my own tutorial (you know, one that tells you everything you need, so you do not spend days looking for random tidbits).

Happy Linuxing...

Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 2:59 AM
#
I never actually used PocketIE (apart from by accident). The desktop rendering of pictures was terrible, so was a third party program.

What i meant by bad rom was that Windows CE moved like a turtle on crutches. Linux on the other hand goes very fast. I'm buying a network card and hopefully another CF card soon...

All i'm waiting for now is suspend (they say you can turn the screen off, but i cant find out where).
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-20 12:12 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-11-20 6:12 AM

A bad bit of rom would prevent your handheld from working completely.

yes if it is not a flash rom.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 1:48 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Press the power button to turn off the display.

Cmonex, yes, but your H/PC will still not start at all until you reflash it. (Or in your case, it just won't work properly)
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 2:09 AM
#
I tried pressing the power button (it seemed like an obvious step), nothing happened. Do i need to install anything to get that to work. Turning the screen off would be almost as good as standby.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 7:18 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-11-21 7:48 AM

Cmonex, yes, but your H/PC will still not start at all until you reflash it. (Or in your case, it just won't work properly)

i don't understand...??

that's what bootloaders are for!

oh, and i don't see why you can't just forget that rom corruption, it was *months* ago and i had it only for a week or so.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 1:24 AM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-11-21 4:18 AM

oh, and i don't see why you can't just forget that rom corruption, it was *months* ago and i had it only for a week or so.

Because it was so ironic that you finally got a 900, and it could hardly run! Then you brought it to one service center, than another, then there was the whole thing with the upgrade card possibly not working...

And then it wouldn't turn on, with AC or battery, and the screen was weird! (right?) Turns out, the problem was that the battery contacts were dirty!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 2:34 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-11-22 7:24 AM

Because it was so ironic that you finally got a 900, and it could hardly run! Then you brought it to one service center, than another, then there was the whole thing with the upgrade card possibly not working...

And then it wouldn't turn on, with AC or battery, and the screen was weird! (right?) Turns out, the problem was that the battery contacts were dirty!

well you're not right! when i bought the thing it was fine, except treeview. so stop joking about it!!
then... "finally"? i never wanted a 900 or another NEC, until may or june this year or so, when i just decided i had to have one (well, after a dream!)... and relatively shortly after i decided it, my unit turned up dirt cheap, waiting for me to buy it.
you're right though about the hardware problem, seems it was quite trivial and that's funny..
i don't know what you mean by weird screen...
let's end OT.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 1:42 AM
#
H/PC Elder

A dream... Shh...you wanted a CE 4.1 device.

Chazco, looking at the jlime site, it does mention that the screen will shut off after a certain period of time. Perhaps there is a suspend command (probably in /sbin) that you are missing? Strange, I really thought that the power button would do that on the 680's too.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 5:46 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-11-23 7:42 AM

A dream... Shh...you wanted a CE 4.1 device.

no, 4.2...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 3:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I knew you would do that...

Oh, I just thought of something. Jlime states that real screen blanking is now available, but they did not state actual suspend. Hmm.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 4:25 PM
#
I getting confused now...

Linux has had loads of advantages so far: it accepts my network card (WinCE refuses), it has working FTP, a passable text editor and more...

But I need a power-off option (the reset button doesnt work well)...

Anyone know how to get Konqueror...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-23 6:09 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Learn how to use ipkg. Just type ipkg --help for options. Then you can download konqueror and such. I am really confused now, as I thought that all those programs you are missing came with the initial install. Look around jlime's package feed, and see if you can download the ipkg locally to make things easier.

Yes, Linux does support a LOT more cards than CE..
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 2:04 AM
#
When i type ipkg --help is there any way to get it to pause when it fills the screen?
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 2:44 AM
#
H/PC Elite

type:

ipkg --help | more

or

ipkg --help | less

the pipe character is Alt+124 i think
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum: