x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

moving files by wireless

cyranoses
cyranoses Page Icon Posted 2004-12-11 1:39 PM
#
I have just installed a linksys wpc11 wireless card in my Jornada 720. I can surf the web using internet explorer but I can't see the jornada on my network. Am I still supposed to use ActiveSync for moving files? I have checked the box in ActiveSync to allow ethernet connections but when I click GetConnected it only seem to try the serial, usb and infared ports which of course are no longer there.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-11 3:54 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

:Sigh: I believe this is the most asked question for ce devices. But what the heck. 3rd time answering it 24 hours, lets get started!

Ok now, Windows CE devices don't allow network sharing as far as I know, so you can't actually SEE your hpc from your desktop on the network. BUT on the hpc you can see your desktop via the network. Ok, first you have to find out your desktop's network name (via network neighborhood/control panels). Then, you open up explorer, and type that network name after // (yes your desktop computer must be on at this time). So it will look something like this: //COMP-175DR5T. (no period) Then, walla, you will see your computer's shared folders. (Is that how you spell walla?) Share more and you see more. So, essentially you transfer files FROM your hpc to your desktop, (I would definitely add that address as a favorite, so you don't have to constantly type it in) not the other way around.

Now, even if you close that explorer window, when you run activesync ON your hpc, you will see your desktop's network name as an option, so if you select that, it will be synced wirelessly.

BAM!! Answer completed
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-11 5:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I say this so often it's not funny.

Look in the support section:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/

It's all in there documented, how to connect, how to sync, how to share, how to print. Even how to get yourself a Network!

Top of the page
cyranoses
cyranoses Page Icon Posted 2004-12-11 9:02 PM
#
Thank you for your response. It was not exactly what I needed but it did set me in the right direction. I am going to explain my error so that someone else might save some time. I could not get activesync to sync by wireless because I did not have activesync on the handheld set to do this. The reason that I did not do this is because when you have the jornada connected to the desktop by usb, the config page on the handheld never shows up. That is, when I opened activesync on the jornada, it would just connect and sync right away without showing the config page first. If I unplugged the usb, I could not get activesync on the DESKTOP to sync and I did not think to open active sync on the HANDHELD while the handheld was disconnected from the usb.
I bought the wireless card because I am working on a program in evc and every test run takes forever to upload to the jornada. From various sources I read that the uploads would be faster with wireless than with usb. I assume the evc environment will only use activesync to upload anyway.

Now I do have a followup question regarding your specific response to my last post. I did as you suggested and typed my desktop's network name into the address window of the handheld's internet explorer. I did this for 3 desktops on my network.
1. The first desktop is running IIS where the server name is the same as the computer network name. (IIS did this by default and I did not change it). What showed up in the explorer window was the default.aspx page of my web site.
2.The second desktop is also running IIS but the server name is different from the desktop network name. This time on the handheld I got this message. "No web site is configured at this address."
3.The third desktop is not a sever but it is on my network and it does have shared folders. This time I got an error message "A connection with the server could not be established."

You said that I should see my computer's shared folders. I assumed you meant those folders which I have designated that other computers on my NETWORK can see. Did you mean those folders that I have shared on the WEB because only my website files are shared there?

Again, I am grateful for your response. I did try to read the other forum posts and scanned through the support pages, but I did not find what I needed.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-12 2:04 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

the ActiveSync client on the H/PC is designed specifically to initiate remote syncs, it's use for Serial sync's is trivial. PC link was meant for that.
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0012.asp

Under Windows Server the machine name is the one assigned to IIS. The only way to change the pointer is to use a DNS A-Record or a DNS C-Name.
IIS then uses a host headder lookup to filter out the request and send it along to the correct site.
If you are seeing the "No site configured" error it means that you are hitting the server's IIS Metabase and the metabase is replying that there is no website configured for unbound, open port access on TCP 80.
You will need to access the site using http://<hostheadder>/ which has a DNS registration on a DNS or WINS server that is accessible to the Windows CE device. If there is no active registration either of the LMHost, DNS, WINS of the secondary name then the H/PC will not be able to access it.

#3 could be down to a too restrictive security policy either in the LMP or GP. You have to use UNC to access it not HTTP remember as outlined in the CESD.
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0006.asp

Typing just the server part of the UNC without specifying a share will display a list of all avaialble shares on that particular computer.

Accessing web server shares should be done via FTP or via a read only directory browse setting configured in the IIS Metabase.
 Top of the page
cyranoses
cyranoses Page Icon Posted 2004-12-13 2:11 PM
#
Thank you very much. Your comments and the links helped me set everything straight. For two days I have been typing "//servername/sharename" into the handheld internet explorer address box. Everytime I would get the web site instead of the network shared folders. The factor article on accessing network shares let me know to use the UNC path "\\servername\sharename" . I had everthing else configured right all along. I can now access all the shared folders on all the computers on my network wirekessly from the handheld. On my desktop (the one with the wireless connection to the jornada) I now have a folder in windows explorer which shows all the folders on the jornada.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-13 3:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

What was that about having been through the support section

Glad to have been of help
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-13 7:04 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

O I am so sorry about that! I am never sure whether it is // (linux) or \\ (windows)...sometimes the // worked but maybe that is why I couldn't access my computer...hehe.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-14 2:07 PM
#
H/PC Elder

programsynthesiser - 2004-12-13 5:04 PM

O I am so sorry about that! I am never sure whether it is // (linux) or \\ (windows)...sometimes the // worked but maybe that is why I couldn't access my computer...hehe.

Actually, the // thingie is more of a Unix thingie. Linux kinda falls under the unix umbrella as a variant, and inherited the // along the way.

My guess is that M$ right from the DOS prompt decided to be different and used the C:\ with a single "\" and ultimately the "//" for network shares/access etc.

Recall that Apple (I think) used C:>

I used to use ANSI codes to have more useful and useful command prompt back in DOS and Unix days ... ... but that is another story for another time.
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 12:55 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

When I was using serial, I simply used PC Link (from the HPC) because I didn't need to sync anything, I only needed the file conversion aspect of AS. After readin the support pages (and the explanation, here), am I understanding correctly that I cannot perform file conversion without setting up a partnership via serial then running AS from the HPC, at which point it will give me the option to connect via the shared directory?

HPC 2000, J720 (SA), network syncing enabled, network sharing established with HPC via shared directories on desktop

Thanks,
Kenny Anderson
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 2:20 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You can convert files using ActiveSync in Guest mode. You can't PIM sync with it like that.
To LAN through ActiveSync you have to have the partnership.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9