x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Installing Programs in Windows CE via CF

Vegabondsx Page Icon Posted 2005-12-08 10:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello. I recently received a Hitachi HPW-10. It runs Windows CE 1.0. I do not own the cable to connect it to my PC. In order to transfer I files I use a Compact Flash Card Reader for the PC Card Slot. I am trying to install new programs. My problem is that whenever I run a program it says that the file is not a valid CE application. I know for sure that the programs that I've tested are compatable with Windows CE 1.0 and my device's processor (SH-3). Does anyone know what's wrong? I have no problem transfering documents.

Thanks
Ryan
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-08 10:49 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Also, you can sync via Infrared...

You are probably attempting to run the PC setup files on your Hitachi...

Edited by tenjeangosi 2005-12-08 10:51 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-08 11:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

if the program is a little exe, you can just copy it over and run it. if it isn't the case you definitely need a sync cable or try to sync via infrared.
 Top of the page
Vegabondsx Page Icon Posted 2005-12-09 10:23 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I know I'm not running a setup program in CE. It is an actual CE program. Do you think that I will have to intall it over sync. in order to make runnable? I dont see why just copying it onto a CF card is a problem.

Edited by Vegabondsx 2005-12-09 10:35 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-09 10:59 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Well with CE 1.0, there are no device installers unless you use the CE .exe file and copy it to your device. However, you would need a connection to HPC Explorer 1.1 via IrDA to install most programs...
 Top of the page
Vegabondsx Page Icon Posted 2005-12-09 12:22 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

So, is it possible that I need to use the connection software to install, and using a Compact Flash card woun't work?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-09 1:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Vegabondsx - 2005-12-09 4:23 PM

I know I'm not running a setup program in CE. It is an actual CE program. Do you think that I will have to intall it over sync. in order to make runnable? I dont see why just copying it onto a CF card is a problem.

depends. if the program consists of more than one file and makes registry entries too, you'll be having problems with installing it without a connection...
speaking of the registry, there's a nice little regeditor for CE 1 and it can be just copied over and will run fine
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-09 3:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've had this problem from time to time in other CE versions. I wonder if some of them require specific runtime files/DLL files to run properly (or would that result in the "Can't find . . ." error message instead?). Do they have their own icon images in Explorer, or are the icons just generic ones like the Windows logo or a the rectangular window frame?

Edited by CE Geek 2005-12-09 3:38 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-09 3:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

if an app says not valid CE app, there can be several reasons for it..
one is that it is a host installer, of course.
then on ce.net if you use the ppc hacks without the extra ce.net hexedit, sometimes you receive this error again.
you can get it too when you overwrite an essential dll with an invalid one (for example the dummy ppc mfcce300.dll with a real ppc mfcce300.dll extracted from a rom image), and the app can't use it.
if the dll or functions in it are entirely missing you'll get the can't find error, or sometimes illegal operation if the functions aren't right.
hm can't remember what i get if the cpu is wrong... is that not valid CE app too?
oh and if the OS version is too high (requires os version hexediting), you'll get the missing dll message again.
hrm, that's still not much but this is about all i know about this topic.. or at least what i remembered now

Edited by cmonex 2005-12-09 3:47 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-09 6:28 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Let me clarify on this one.

CE 1 uses a completely different installer subset and application method over CE2 and subsequent releases. There is an element of interoperability between CE1 when running on CE2, however you cannot run CE2+ apps on CE1. The Core API functionality is radically different, as is the shell.

If you're adamant that it isn't a host installer file (there are support articles outlining the different app installation methods on CE) then it is either corrupt, or, it is for a higher WinCE version.

Windows CE isn't quite (any where near) as resilient as mainstream Windows OS's are when it comes to standard win32 binaries. Most commercial CE1 apps and all official MS apps require H/PC Explorer and a conduit to the device.
 Top of the page
Vegabondsx Page Icon Posted 2005-12-09 6:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hmmm... Then it would seem that I need to get an IR USB adapter in order to install new programs.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-09 7:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, but, as I said to someone in the A11 thread on this CE1 support board "please be sure to read my posts in the IR support here in this CE1 forum, hardware forum and support section before spending out."
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 29