x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Menu problems with Pocket PC apps in H/PC 2000

1 2
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-09 5:31 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I searched the forum to see if this has been covered already. I have installed several Pocket PC applications in my MP790 (nearly all Pocket PC 2000, a few Pocket PC 2002). Most work fine, but some appear to have dummy menus that don't work. Here's an example:

The "menu" titles with the small down arrows next to them (in this case "Options" and "Type" don't do anything when tapped. (The same menus work in Pocket PC.) As can be seen, a "Temp" menu is added with only the choice "foo," which itself doesn't do anything either. (This of course also happens in all other apps where the other menus don't work.) I believe that this problem has only been in apps determined to be Pocket PC 2000 compatible; the Pocket PC 2002 apps that I have installed all seem to work fine (or they won't install in the first place).

How can I fix this problem? Does it require hexediting?

EDIT: As can be seen, I'm using WinWatch with this app, but the problem occurs whether WinWatch is activated or not; it has nothing to do with the WinWatch app. Also, I should point out that direct touchscreen manipulations (in this case, moving or manipulating the virtual Rubik's Cube) work fine.

Edited by CE Geek 2005-12-09 5:52 PM

(CAPT0004.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CAPT0004.gif (11KB - 13 downloads)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-09 6:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well this problem cant be really helped.. the dummy aygshell.dll isn't complete obviously...

you could be right with this observation that mostly ppc2000 apps do this, the only app doing it for me that i use often is destinator... (did i forget anything? ), and that does have a ppc2000 version (or it is just ppc2000 that runs on newer ppc OS's too..)

btw, how come ppc2002 apps have a mips version?

Edited by cmonex 2005-12-09 6:06 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-09 6:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

These are apps that do not have separate CAB files, just one install file for all processor types. They're mostly apps I got from PDAgold.com, and when I say Pocket PC 2002 in this case, I'm going by what the site says (which I'm sure is not particularly accurate). I've tried both since they're both versions of CE 3.0.

Some of these apps I can still use partially without the menus, but lose some functions. (In this case, I lose the ability to choose 4x4x4 cube or tetrahedron puzzle versions.) But some game apps won't start a game until a menu choice "New game" is selected, which leaves me fully SOL. There's really no way to manipulate or rebuild DLL files (eg, "complete" the "incomplete" aygshell.dll) to make the menus accessible?

Edited by CE Geek 2005-12-09 6:27 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 7:57 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes you would need to rebuild / add exports (erm or imports? ) and recompile the DLL. i have the source of one aygshell.dll (sadly not the 16k one.. i think it is the 9k, but i forgot). problem is can't do anything with it, i'm not a programmer. maybe i could make a new thread on this...? what do you all think?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 12:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Please, please, please . . . .
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 1:58 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to HPC2000 Support
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 2:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2005-12-10 6:51 PM

Please, please, please . . . .

done.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 4:45 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Aw, I feel left out, with all my tinkering I've never had the infamous "foo" menu. What am I missing

Seriously, maybe it's my approach to installing ppc apps. In an OLD thread I outlined my method. Never yet to have an issue I couldn't fix (other than Mapopolis and Pocket Informant, no time to figure them out.) and only one copy of the stub dlls for ppc2002 programs.

Monica, many many ppc2002 developers compiled for all cpu types and included them in the installers. I'm glad they did. It's given me hundreds of extra programs to play with. My most used stuff is ppc2002 on my mips. (netfront, pocketwarrior, cash organiser, etc.)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 5:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

are they really ppc2002 apps, or 2000? anyway, nice..

ive yet to see foo myself too.. i have only the temp thing in destinator.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-10 6:15 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'm fairly certain they are ppc2002 specific because many of the vendors offer a ppc2000 specific version as well. I guess the developers were hedging bets. I don't know when it was finalized that arm would be the only ppc2002 cpu, perhaps after the vendors had developed and compiled.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-11 2:27 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-12-10 1:45 PM

Seriously, maybe it's my approach to installing ppc apps. In an OLD thread I outlined my method. Never yet to have an issue I couldn't fix (other than Mapopolis and Pocket Informant, no time to figure them out.) and only one copy of the stub dlls for ppc2002 programs.

How come I didn't find that thread when I searched?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-11 2:52 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Dunno, I looked for it without any luck. It goes way back, maybe last year?
However, FWIW, on my 790 it appears I can't use the same approach.

I can't seem to set the proper value for systempath. I'll figure it out, but for now I have the stub dlls in each ppc2002 folder, which I *don't* like, big waste of space.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-11 7:44 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-12-10 1:45 PM

hmm maybe you only use one of the aygshells, the best one..?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-11 4:11 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm wondering if Nyditot Virtual Display will solve this problem, or does that only work on ARM devices? And even if it does work in MIPS, will it screw up the Visual Basic apps I have on the 790? (I've downloaded all three versions of NVD for trial, just in case.)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-11 6:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

it should solve the problems, dunno if it has a MIPS version, check that out.
try to use an older version and make a backup
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 9