x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-12-17 8:25 AM
#
I know this is a silly question but:

I'm installing Jlime (new version) onto my 680. I'm using a Knoppix CD to sort of the CF card since we cant actually install Linux on school computers. The problem is how to extract a bz2 file (without using KDE, which is crippled in Knoppix).

opie.tar.bz2, when extracted places all contents into a folder called opie. Opening the file in windows you can see this folder is in the file.

How can extract this image without losing permissions and so on.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-12-17 9:05 AM
#
Never mind - bodged it

(For the record:

i mounted my cfcard as /mnt/opie, then extracted the archive from inside /mnt)
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-18 9:38 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

You definitely need to learn the tar command. tar -xjvpf filename.bz2

x means extract, j means bzip2, v means verbose (not required, but nice to know), p means preserve permissions, f means file.

Believe me, you don't want to rely on file-roller to do it for you graphically. It's vastly innefficient, and can cause hundreds of more r/w's than normal tar will do. (Why? Temporary file storage I guess, or just plain stupid design)
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 1:59 PM
#
Whats file-roller?

I did use the tar command.

Rootshell, mount cfcard, go into /mnt, tar..., done
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 4:28 PM
#
H/PC Elder

File-roller is a mess in my opinion, but it works. Until you start working with 4gb tar archives. Then everything goes downhill.

It copies the files into a temporary directory, even if the archive is not compressed. This makes adding files for the dvd backup a pain. The actual tar command decompresses very well, but I have not figured out how to add files without a gui.

Long story very short, it takes about an hour to open the archive, another to add files, no matter how small they are.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-30 4:21 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok, so it took an hour because I forgot to enable dma. *bonk*
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8