x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Velo 1 Backup Battery Problem?

Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 8:21 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Is any other Velo user finding that their backup battery lasts only a week?

I just got another "low" battery warning today, and had already replaced the said battery last week.

Granted, I never use the charger, and I use NiMH rechargeables only. I do change the main batteries immediately when I get the "very low" reading, but maybe that drains the backup anyway. Or maybe with NiHM batteries, when they fall to "very low," they quit completely, putting undue strain on the CR2032's.

Dunno,
Jake

P.S. I tried to post this in the Velo Discussion Forum, several times, but it never came up.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 9:40 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i have no such problems, and i do use nimh's.

when they're very low and the velo is still powered on, it shouldnt drain the backup battery..

btw how is the hinge on yours.. i checked the serial number on mine and it is too old, so the hinge will need to get fixed in the future probably!
what is the serial no of yours?

Edited by cmonex 2005-12-19 9:42 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 11:11 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

With my Velo, I am a bit lazy... I keep getting the Backup Battery messages, however, I have noy yet found a way to get the old one out... Besides, I always use the AA batteries on mine...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 11:31 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, I can't figure this backup battery drain at all. I can't remember the last time I changed the one in my J-720. I'd be more concerned if I hadn't found such a huge drop in CR2032 battery prices. I remember them costing $2-4 a piece, but on ebay yesterday, I got 20 for six bucks, including shipping. I could've gotten 100 for ten dollars, but I was afraid they'd expire before I used them

And the good news is that the battery gauge goes from good-low-very low, so I have time to switch even if I'm without an a/c adapter.

Still, it's very strange. The Osaris does the same thing, but we know that's junk.

As for the hinge, so far so good, but with my luck with these things...

My serial number is pretty scuffed up, but I think it's 8877-200946. Does that ring a bell?

Jake

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 11:42 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Well the backup getting low quick is pretty fishy... However, 20 Batteries for 6 USD is not bad at all...
BTW, I do not know my serial number, becuase I think I scratched it upto get the stuff off, as it was mostly off anyway...

Jake: What I wanted to ask in the PM is: Could you make an iso of your Velo 1 disc and upload it somewhere? Thanks, tenjeangosi

Edited by tenjeangosi 2005-12-19 11:43 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 2:31 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Tenjeangosi,

I sent you an email about that, last night--did you get it?

Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 3:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi - 2005-12-19 5:11 PM

With my Velo, I am a bit lazy... I keep getting the Backup Battery messages, however, I have noy yet found a way to get the old one out... Besides, I always use the AA batteries on mine...

you just unscrew the middle cover at the bottom of the unit (close to the battery compartment). easy

tenjeangosi - 2005-12-19 5:42 PM

Well the backup getting low quick is pretty fishy... However, 20 Batteries for 6 USD is not bad at all...
BTW, I do not know my serial number, becuase I think I scratched it upto get the stuff off, as it was mostly off anyway...

Jake: What I wanted to ask in the PM is: Could you make an iso of your Velo 1 disc and upload it somewhere? Thanks, tenjeangosi

i'd like that disc too..

Jake - 2005-12-19 5:31 PM

Yeah, I can't figure this backup battery drain at all. I can't remember the last time I changed the one in my J-720. I'd be more concerned if I hadn't found such a huge drop in CR2032 battery prices. I remember them costing $2-4 a piece, but on ebay yesterday, I got 20 for six bucks, including shipping. I could've gotten 100 for ten dollars, but I was afraid they'd expire before I used them

And the good news is that the battery gauge goes from good-low-very low, so I have time to switch even if I'm without an a/c adapter.

Still, it's very strange. The Osaris does the same thing, but we know that's junk.

As for the hinge, so far so good, but with my luck with these things...

My serial number is pretty scuffed up, but I think it's 8877-200946. Does that ring a bell?

WOW you have a serial number starting with 8877. must be one of the newer ones??? mine is 4000029252, and the author of the article about fixing the hinge had one somewhere above 4000037000 ... i'm jealous, because of the cr2032 batteries too, i'll have to go get some on ebay for myself. i'll get 100 as shipping is costly and then at least i'd have enough.

the osaris.. does that work fine otherwise? no "battery bug"?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 3:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok got 25 backup batts cheap enough...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-12-20 2:38 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

>> the osaris.. does that work fine otherwise? no "battery bug"? <<

Oh, I've got the battery bug. "No main batteries present" flashes any time I access the CF or use the backlight. That was an "ebay surprise."

Jake
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-20 5:53 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Jake - 2005-12-19 12:31 PM

Tenjeangosi,

I sent you an email about that, last night--did you get it?

Jake

Yes, I recieved the e-mail... Check your e-mail now...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 8