x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

BxN
BxN Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 2:42 PM
#
Is it just me or is this site slow as hell? It times out often, the main site is slow, forums even slower and i often get timeouts while searching too. Im on firefox and im in the UK on 1mbit connection. Is anyone having these problems too?

Thanks

EDITED by C:Amie
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 2:54 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Post title edited

I stringly suggest you have a read of the forum rules, specifically rule number 3. Thank-you.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 3:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

BxN - 2005-12-19 8:42 PM

Is it just me or is this site slow as hell? It times out often, the main site is slow, forums even slower and i often get timeouts while searching too. Im on firefox and im in the UK on 1mbit connection. Is anyone having these problems too?

Thanks

EDITED by C:Amie

dont worry it is like that to everyone
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 4:47 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Oh come on. I already made a thread on this, and it wasn't all-out cursing either.

Look around first, please. This forum does not need tons of threads on the topic.
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 6:00 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

What was the original thread title?
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 6:13 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well mine definitely was not the original, but it was: HPCFACTOR: Where dsl and modem users are equals.

Or something along those lines.
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-12-19 6:54 PM
#
H/PC Elder

well ... enuff said ... on and off, the site slows down, but mostly its ok and the admins are trying their best to keep it at optimal speed.

Just wondering out loud, ever considered running the forum part of the site off another hosting server?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-20 6:52 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There isn't a day goes by...

I actually formatted a server here at home with the specific aim of moving it here. Alas I did the bandwidth calculations AFTER I had reinstalled the server.
Desperation does strange things to a man...
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-20 1:05 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Oh, in Germany it is REAL slow...around 2min loading time to load a forum thing, and 75% timeouts.

Marco
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-20 2:47 PM
#
H/PC Elder

It's the same for us all. I doubt that it is a physical speed problem across the lines, but rather just the forums. I doubt that the fiber line is causing the timeouts.
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-12-20 3:46 PM
#
H/PC Elite

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-12-20 7:47 PM

I doubt that the fiber line is causing the timeouts.

I'd say he's getting ASP Timeouts, so your right there

C:Amie, is the forum running under MS Access?

Nick

Edited by Nick Charlton 2005-12-20 3:48 PM
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-20 7:16 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Jet.

I think that if it ran MySQL (right?) the weird database problems would be gone. But that will happen when the new core comes around for the forum (right?) and the forum will have to be taken offline anyways (right?).

Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 7:11 AM
#
H/PC Elite

This forum core will either run off Access or MSSQL, thats all this version supports. You can get a free, cut down version of MSSQL, so if it is running under access we could try that.

I hope the new core supports MySQL

Nick
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 7:34 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

HPC Factor has always been slow, in my experience, but lately it has been far worse. I have frequently attempted to reply to a topic, only to get a asp error page. Sometimes the post shows up, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it shows up, but 15 minutes later. This has caused me to "double post" a number of times. Is there a reason that things have gone from bad to worse? HPC Factor is an important resource to me and I want to keep it going strong. Is there anything that members of the community can do to assist in the running of the site? Do you need more bandwidth, a beefier server or just an expert in database optimization? What can we do to help?
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 7:46 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I'd say we, or should I say they, need a beefier server. After the ASP processing bit, the site loads fine. We have a lot of regulars, why not put up a plan with small donations of all the regular users each donating a bit of the server, either in hardware, software or money? It doesn't cost that much to build PC's these days. My personal server plan only hit £300.

We have 1140 members, if everyone donated a £1 we would have £1140 Of course, a lot of members don't use the forums or wouldn't be that bothered, but the regulars would probably donate more.

Just an idea..

Nick
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10