x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 7:50 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Rocketman - 2005-12-21 12:34 PM

HPC Factor has always been slow, in my experience, but lately it has been far worse. I have frequently attempted to reply to a topic, only to get a asp error page. Sometimes the post shows up, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it shows up, but 15 minutes later. This has caused me to "double post" a number of times. Is there a reason that things have gone from bad to worse? HPC Factor is an important resource to me and I want to keep it going strong. Is there anything that members of the community can do to assist in the running of the site? Do you need more bandwidth, a beefier server or just an expert in database optimization? What can we do to help?

Rocketman, the be all and end all solution is a new high spec server, but the owners don't have the funding avaialble at the moment to do this.

The reason why things are getting worse is because of the unoptimised forum kernel and the sheer traffic load this site receives. I also have my suspicions that there are a number of people around and about the place trying to DOS us... but that remains my cyncial speculation.

As has been outlined in the Forum Ideas / Bugs / Requests thread - and others - there is a three step plan:
New Internet Pipe - done; symmetric 8Mbps
New Server - a faster one is reportedly on the way, but I have no control over this and it'll still only be a tempoary measure and not sort the site out.
Optimised forum Kernel - I've been waiting since March.

Ideally IIS6 would be of use over IIS5 SP4, but that's small fry.
We do have MSSQL Server - SQL2005 would of course be nice though.

The site is all self supported, and I refuse to have banner ad's or popups on here so the site has never made a penny.

EDIT:
My personal server plan only hit £300.
Well the difference is Nick that your server doesn't actually do anything 99% of the time and has no RAM in it. If you want a server that actually lasts, you either have to down spec to real server hardware off of the second hand market, or spend the money.
Building a workstation from parts found on dabs.com wont actually hold true with the test of time.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 7:56 AM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2005-12-21 12:50 PM

Ideally IIS6 would be of use over IIS5 SP4, but that's small fry.
We do have MSSQL Server - SQL2005 would of course be nice though.

The site is all self supported, and I refuse to have banner ad's or popups on here so the site has never made a penny.

How much for Server 2003 then? How many installs would you need? How about pricing for SQL2005 then?

I wouldn't use this site if it had ads

I guess we still have to wait for PD9 to get there arses into gear about releasing the new core.

Nick
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 2:44 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Why not switching to LAMPP and phpBB or vBulletin???
Marco
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 2:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Why would I?
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 3:04 PM
#
H/PC Elite

fragenmensch - 2005-12-21 7:44 PM

Why not switching to LAMPP and phpBB or vBulletin???
Marco

There PHP, and the site is in ASP isn't it? Also vB isn't free.

Nick
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 3:09 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Exactly
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 3:13 PM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie, what are you like for /ftp-root/ hits? How about putting that on a different server?

EDIT: Though, I think that wouldn't help in this case. It would only make a difference if there was a pipe problem.

Nick

Edited by Nick Charlton 2005-12-21 3:18 PM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 3:35 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

1) Who said it wasn't
2) Download hits are not processor intensive, we don't have bandwidth problems here.

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 3:40 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I find the site fine when using my hpc. I'd guess 95% of my access and posting is done from one of my hpcs. After all, why did we buy them?

I really appreciate the complete and utter lack of popups and other intrusive ads.

Thanks Chris for your time and effort in keeping this a "fun" place with our interests coming first.
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 5:26 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

The site may be a bit slow at times, however we should be thankful that it is free for us to be on the site and we have 3 great administrators supporting this site... So, we should not complain, just be happy it works .
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 6:11 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Yeah, tenjeangosi, you have a point. Though not all the admins post alot, I know they all work hard for the site.

Nick
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 7:31 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I find that in the last 48 hours or so, speed has picked up and posts are immediately posted. Perhaps the storm is behind us. Also, I LOVE the email notification of updated threads.

Jake
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 7:45 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think that the email system now working has reduced server load as people aren't constantly refreshing the board index or hpcfactor.com home page to view site activity.

I've certainly had to spend less time on the forum because I now recieve an email notification of all board activity, rather than relying on SQL reports.
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 8:32 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Gosh, that would be ALOT of e-mails...
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 11