x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows 'cat' command

chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 1:57 PM
#
I set Linux up on my Jornada 680. Using Knoppix, i copied the entire compact flash card (all partititons) to a single file.

cat /dev/sda > file.img

On Linux, i can write this back to the card using:
cat /dev/sda < file.img

Is there anyway to do this using Windows? Ideally a command line based tool. It will need to alter partition tables and such.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 4:33 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Interesting, I use tar. But cat seems to be a much better method for quick backups.

You could of course copy *.* it, but I really don't know on this one. There are plenty of gui tools to copy it into other kinds of archives. I always do everything compressed, such as pkzipping it or such.

Maybe using a partition manager to copy the partition itself? Hmmm.

-WinImage? Lol.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-12-21 5:49 PM
#
Thats where it gets difficult. While Linux has no problems with partitioning a compact card (although WinCE doesnt mind), Windows hates it. It wont read the partitions already there if theres more than one, and dont even consider creating more.

From Linux, doing 'cat' backs up partitiion tables, file permissions and everything else, quite eaiser. It can also be sent the other way eaisly (un-tarring hurts the cf cards apparantly). I can zip/tar/whatever the image file after wards.

The idea was save people new to linux (like me) from having to install it on the desktop to get it on the Jornada. Trust Windows to be the problem...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-30 4:14 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I think when I really get a full system running (with kernel 2.6 and individual packages), I should be able to decently code by that time. Perhaps I could work something out with the Jlime people as far as an installer for Windows. (What would really be good would be an installer for CE, but that would be programming suicide (porting the partitioner, coding for CE...))

We'll see. For now, I still can't get busybox to compile.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 41 - Executed queries : 28