x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Why do people try to install Linux on a HP/C?

1 2 3
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-12-22 12:09 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have only read through a half dozen or so posts but they all seem to be hunkered down into the nitty gritty details of getting Linux to run on their beloved pet. I have a big picture question...why do people do it? I know that the advantage of Linux is portability, from (apparently) the HP/C to the pc or mac to the mainframe...

Are there any other advantages? Is it possible, for example, to get an older HP/C to use some hardware if Linux is installed that it would not normally be able to use because of software and driver availability?

Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-12-22 1:03 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The chief reason to install Linux is that it is a modern OS with continuing development and a huge base of applications.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-22 1:44 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Don't forget to mention that Linux software is open-source - anyone can download and tweak an application whenever (s)he wants to for free, as opposed to the proprietary nature of Windows-based and Mac-based software. (Gee, I need to try it myself.)
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-12-22 3:16 AM
#
I put Linux on because:
- You can run the Opie GUI - with the Knoqueror web browser
- It supports a LOT more PCMCIA cards (including the rare PCMCIA 16bit USB cards)
- Its faster than WinCE
- Theoretically (and this is a big theroretically), we may eventually get WINE to run
- I like Linux

CE will never do any of the above, so Linux was the way to go.

Edited by chazco 2005-12-22 3:18 AM
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2005-12-22 11:00 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,
The main reason for me to try to install linux(not yet successfull) in my z50 is to have a more modern OS, with the potential to install a modern browser like Firefox or Minimo.
Also will extend the life of my HPC.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-22 11:57 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Do you have to wait on the linux to boot or is it an instant on thing?
 Top of the page
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-22 12:41 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Linux on CE200 still doesn't work:-(

Marco
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-22 1:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Well, I wanted Linux because I thought it would be better than CE, however with Linux never working on my 2010c, I just decided that CE is good enough for me
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-12-22 5:07 PM
#
JLime on the J680 workls really well, and has instant on. I can actually browse the internet properly.
 Top of the page
AndiF
AndiF Page Icon Posted 2005-12-23 4:32 AM
#
Found another reason on a Libretto Linux page:
Your CPU has only a finite number of cycles before it becomes senile.
Don't waste them running Windows 95.

Just replace Win95 with WinCE 2.11...

Andreas

Edited by AndiF 2005-12-23 4:34 AM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-30 4:10 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Yet again, wish I was here earlier. My habits are different than last year.

Let's start from the top.

Linux is not what I would call a modern system, as CE is technically newer. But Linux is updated *ridiculously* frequently. It gets to the point where I have the newest system...for a week.

But essentially, that is one of the causes for many developers for the platform. And as all of us have painfully learned through the H/PC experience, it is the developers who make or break the platform when the effects of time kick in. I don't want to bother finding out an estimate of how many applications Linux has, let alone how many are being actively developed right now. It is a developer's platform.

Because of this, new devices are supported, new protocols are supported, and we can connect to wifi access points in schools.

I like it simply because of the control it gives me, and it allows my 720 to be what I wanted it to be, a full-fledged laptop. Just smaller, and without usb.

Although, let me beat down some comments about Linux now.

Chazco:

First of all, it is not (at all) necessarily faster. Sure, configure it right, and it will blaze. But unlike CE, which uses little over 2mb of ram with a gui, Linux starts out just under 10 on a good configuration. Now, if I made my distribution like Jlimes, it might be well under that. But in my mind, it ruins the point. The reason for going to Linux is to gain features and useability, not to cripple it. (No offense)

Secondly, Jlime does not have instant on. It is simply turning off the screen, and lowering the processor frequency. It is equivalent to a normal laptop suspend, and we all know that those are pointless. Battery life is limited to maybe a couple of days, but really about one. Full suspend would allow the handheld to be on suspend for weeks, and with a quick recovery. Instant on.

Also, how is konqueror browsing? What is the speed, and what about loading large sites? Perhaps that would be a better idea to port than that crazy minimo thing.

AndiF, I would worry more about the remaining compactflash card cycles than the processor ones if I was you...

-I think that about sums it up.

EDIT: Oh, and WINE is ridiculous. Unless if you are implying using CE libraries to run CE programs (all of which would be conviniently on the rom ready for our legal access), then I do not see a point.

Yeah, I have thought of seeing pocket word on Linux many, many times. That might win a bunch of people over, eh? Now I'm starting to talk like those devil BSD people...

EDIT2: So close to 1337 posts...

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-12-30 4:20 AM
 Top of the page
AndiF
AndiF Page Icon Posted 2005-12-30 5:05 AM
#
ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-12-30 10:10 AM

AndiF, I would worry more about the remaining compactflash card cycles than the processor ones if I was you...

Have been kidding ;
I think that up to now Linux is no alternative to CE on a J7xx.
If the system doesn´t fit into RAM swapping is needed and you´re right:
that´s not so good for a CF card...
As long as there is no possibility to put Linux into the ROM of a Jornada this will be the killer argument against for me!

Andreas
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-30 5:57 PM
#
H/PC Elder

What Outlook compatible program is there after installing Linux on a hpc? I see no point in Linux if I can't sync my PIM and take it with me.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-30 7:23 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

AndiF - 2005-12-23 1:32 AM

Found another reason on a Libretto Linux page:
Your CPU has only a finite number of cycles before it becomes senile.
Don't waste them running Windows 95.

Just replace Win95 with WinCE 2.11...

Andreas

I looked all around @ my CPU's i couldnt find any cycles, were do they keep em, i'd like to ride one....
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-01 6:53 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Bump for Outlook compatible syncing package for a linux powered hpc. Surely something exists as don't Zaurii have Linux unstalled? And some sort of sync progrim for desktop PIM?

I'm a little itchy to try linux on my SL4 as the screenshots look promising. Aslo, the Linux browsers seem decent enough to carry me long into the future. Perhaps I can convince the Pocketfms crew to port to Linux for my flight requirements.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9