x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Lucent Wavelan silver cab driver wanted

1 2 3
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-25 7:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I don't blame you... I only just worked it out myself

That only leaves Linksys that I'm afraid of
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-26 3:16 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I hear you there. I had to get that education while searching for my card. But I eventually got it right, pretty much as C:Amie describes.

C:Amie - 2005-12-25 1:57 PM

Now that you've told me the readme is incorrect I am attempting to find formal Lucent 2.00 drivers if they exist.

I will then update the HCL.

EDIT: The Orinoco range is crazy

It was created by Agere WiLAN Systems who are a division of Agere Systems. WiLAN then sold off the chipset to a new Agere child company named Lucent Technologies.

In July 2002 Lucent Technologies brought out Agere WiLAN and Lucent Technologies.

Why am I rambling about this? Because I'm trying to keep my driver library tidy

But I know that the ORiNOCO driver I have in my CE 2.0 H/PC is different from the other devices' ORiNOCO drivers. In CE 2.0 I have the Lucent WaveLAN driver. But I don't recall whether I got it from the Proxim site; I seem to have vague recollections of getting it from a Lucent site, but if I did, I don't think the site exists any more. (You've got me curious now; I've gotta do some research into this.)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-26 8:06 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you have any additional drivers for these, or model numbers I would greatly appreciate adding them to the driver lib.

May as well try and sort this out once and for all.

EDIT: The version on the Proxim site appears to be: WLWCE406.exe
Same as in the HCL - the Agere driver
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-26 9:39 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-12-26 1:29 AM

That only leaves Linksys that I'm afraid of

linksys? why are you afraid of it? that's just a plain prism card. many users use linksys drivers for other prism cards and many other users use their linksys happily. just link them to the cesd or something
i remember you saying many users had problems with them in the past. that was because no one understood the prism drivers. now i ( ) do, so you have nothing to fear any more
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-26 10:07 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I'm not scared of them because of the driver situation, I'm scared of them because there are too many variants

I think we've both had the driver situation sorted out for a while now. Certainly since compiling the reference drivers lists for me.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-26 6:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-12-26 5:06 AM

If you have any additional drivers for these, or model numbers I would greatly appreciate adding them to the driver lib.

May as well try and sort this out once and for all.

EDIT: The version on the Proxim site appears to be: WLWCE406.exe
Same as in the HCL - the Agere driver

That's the one I found buried deep in my desktop PC. As I recall, the "CE200" setup file installed the WaveLAN driver on my 2.0 device, which works fine.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-26 6:49 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

So essentially what you're telling me here is despite all the fake companies and chipset pass-the-parcel... no one could be bothered to re-brand the driver
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-27 3:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

As I said earlier, I did some research last night, and, well, the short answer is, "Yes." It was rebranded ORiNOCO for 2.11 and up. (Found this out after tripping over several dead links. Didn't check the WaveLAN/ORiNOCO drivers for Linux on the way. I was half-awake at the time, but I think they were postings in the Debian Project. Maybe PS knows something about it.)
 Top of the page
polszki Page Icon Posted 2005-12-27 4:42 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

ok,

that number is:
PC24E-H-ET
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-27 7:22 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

polszki,

Thank-you. I have added you model number specifically in to the HCL.
I trust that it is working OK?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-27 12:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok here's a nice story.

Even if it uses the same name, the Wavelan IEEE product is completely different from the old Wavelan (see section 2.1), and totally incompatible in term of protocol and hardware interface. It is still built by Lucent, and it still operate in the 2.4 GHz ISM band (Direct Sequence), but the new hardware fully support the IEEE 802.11 protocol (and 802.11-b for the more recent versions) and is no longer based on a Ethernet MAC chip. There is only a Pcmcia version (the ISA version uses a ISA to Pcmcia bridge) and the different access points. Recently, Lucent has added a USB adapter and mini PCI version of the card for laptop (this one is based on a PCI-Pcmcia bridge).
To confuse the issue, Lucent has renamed the Wavelan IEEE as Orinoco (Wavelan was better IMHO), and this division was part of Lucent spin-off into a new company called Agere. Avaya (another Lucent spin-off) is also selling the Orinoco. Enterasys is also selling the Wavelan IEEE as RoamAbout 802 (a company formerly known as Cabletron, which was the former DEC networking division). Elsa is selling it in Europe as AirLancer 11 (on the other hand, the 2 Mb/s version is quite different). In Japan (and maybe also in Europe), Melco is selling it as Buffalo WLI-PCM-L11. Lately, more vendors have been joining the club, such as HP (HP 802.11b Wireless LAN), IBM (IBM High Rate Wireless LAN), Dell (Dell TrueMobile 1150 - on the other hand, the 1100 is an Aironet card), Compaq (Compaq WL 110, WL 210 and WL 215 - the WL100 and WL200 are PrismII based), 1stWave (1stWave PC-Card) and ARtem (ARtem ComCard). The Apple Airport is also derived from the Wavelan IEEE (see section 3.5).

The Wavelan IEEE saga never ends. Proxim bought the card and access point business of Agere (Agere kept the chipset and radio part), so now the same Orinoco cards are sold by Proxim under the name Orinoco Classic or Orinoco World (841X - with the big square antenna and using the same Agere Hermes chipset). In a bold marketing move, Proxim renamed all it's other lines of wireless cards as Orinoco, however those cards are not based on the Agere chipset but on Atheros chipset (846X, 847X and 848X). The Orinoco 11b (842X - 802.11b only with a short antenna) are based on the Agere HermesII chipset, which is different from the old chipset (and therefore not compatible with the usual Orinoco drivers). So, if the Proxim Orinoco card doesn't have a big square antenna and do support 802.11a or 802.11g, you can be sure it's not a true Orinoco.

well...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-12-27 1:52 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Lucent Microelectronics had to do it, they'd have pulled the company under without the cash injection from the sale.

As for the rest of it, I find it questionable that Tourrilhes is winging about what is the entire purpose of a Chipset Reference... to sell it...

WaveLAN is a product range in the same light that Jornada, Aironet and Windows are a product range. Windows 2 is a completely different product from Windows 5, it's almost impossible to distinguish between them... still Windows though.

Tourrilhes is just being pedantic IMO. However, it is a winge about Linux reference drivers, or there lack of... so I guess we can forgive them.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-27 6:32 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-12-27 7:52 PM

Lucent Microelectronics had to do it, they'd have pulled the company under without the cash injection from the sale.

As for the rest of it, I find it questionable that Tourrilhes is winging about what is the entire purpose of a Chipset Reference... to sell it...

WaveLAN is a product range in the same light that Jornada, Aironet and Windows are a product range. Windows 2 is a completely different product from Windows 5, it's almost impossible to distinguish between them... still Windows though.

Tourrilhes is just being pedantic IMO. However, it is a winge about Linux reference drivers, or there lack of... so I guess we can forgive them.

hmm so you recognized the quote instantly lol

i don't feel tourrilhes is whining there but maybe i'm missing something here. i really like his descriptions, tells everything about a certain chipset in a clear way that summarizes everything i learned about prism chipsets for example!

yeah i see it is a linux page (associated with hp at that) and i always thought if linux has no other use at least it helps greatly us hpc'ers trying to get wifi cards to work on our hpc's.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-12-28 12:00 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2005-12-27 9:59 AM

So, if the Proxim Orinoco card doesn't have a big square antenna and do support 802.11a or 802.11g, you can be sure it's not a true Orinoco.

That's what I've been saying all along.

cmonex - 2005-12-27 9:59 AM

Enterasys is also selling the Wavelan IEEE as RoamAbout 802 (a company formerly known as Cabletron, which was the former DEC networking division).

And, if my research is correct, the RoamAbout was originally marketed by AT&T until it spun that product off to Lucent, which was doing telecommunications projects for AT&T at the time.

And Linksys is connected with Cisco. You get the feeling that one day it'll all be rolled up into one company, and we consumers will become its playthings.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 11:20 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Windows CE 2.0 version 4.04 drivers are now in the HCL and available in the notes section for the orinoco's. Some people have experienced problems with the 4.06 release and Snake was kind enough to send them along to us. Thanks to Snake!
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9