x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Can a HPC running Linux use a card bus pcmcia card?

1 2 3 4
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 12:40 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks for round one of my questioning..there seems to be many software advantages to using Linux on our beloved HPC's. There was one hint about new hardware freedoms..can some of you elaborate on these? I am specifically interested in being able to use things like:

PCMCIA USB cards (CF USB are waaaaay too expensive)
game pads
Being able to connect a scanner
webcams.. (Get the picture? hehehehe)

and others...

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 12:48 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

If you do get Linux running, make sure you post a screenshot . I have never seen Linux on a CE device before...
 Top of the page
AndiF
AndiF Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 3:38 AM
#
There is only one CF-USB-card I have heard from. All the other USB-cards are Cardbus. Cardbus is the 32bit version of PCMCIA. Up to now none of all the H/PCs and PPC is supporting Cardbus.

Andreas
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 3:46 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

There are rare 16 bit USB PCMCIA cards, however I do not know if the H/PC supports it... Also, Windows CE 5.0 [maybe Windows Mobile 5.0] supports cardbus..
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 5:56 AM
#
H/PC Elite

tenjeangosi, can you point a link to a 16 bit USB host pcmcia card. i've never seen such a thing, and believe me, i've searched (it was me who found the ratoc CF->USB card). As far as i know those devices are not rare, they're nonexistant (unless someone proves me wrong).

About the issue of linux supporting a cardbus USB host, well, i think the 16 bit support is on hardware level, so i think it's impossible due to that hardware constraints.

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 9:12 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

AndiF - 2005-12-29 12:38 AM

There is only one CF-USB-card I have heard from. All the other USB-cards are Cardbus. Cardbus is the 32bit version of PCMCIA. Up to now none of all the H/PCs and PPC is supporting Cardbus.

Andreas

Actully the DreamWriter IT supports type III cards....
 Top of the page
AndiF
AndiF Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 9:31 AM
#
thcrw739 - 2005-12-29 3:12 PM

PCMCIA 1, 2 and 3 is only the physical size (thickness) of the card, and has nothing to say whether it´s 16 or 32 Bit.

Andreas
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 10:02 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

AndiF - 2005-12-29 6:31 AM

thcrw739 - 2005-12-29 3:12 PM

PCMCIA 1, 2 and 3 is only the physical size (thickness) of the card, and has nothing to say whether it´s 16 or 32 Bit.

Andreas

My mistake...I was thinking somthing else...
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 1:15 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

If there are any 16 bit PCMCIA USB cards then I'd like to hear of them. There was an extensive search for them on the libretto list, as the 50/70 librettos only have 16 bit PC Card (PCMCIA) rather than cardbus...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 3:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

matrixcore - 2005-12-29 3:56 AM

tenjeangosi, can you point a link to a 16 bit USB host pcmcia card. i've never seen such a thing, and believe me, i've searched (it was me who found the ratoc CF->USB card). As far as i know those devices are not rare, they're nonexistant (unless someone proves me wrong).

Well, I just read someone on the site saying that Linux supports the rare 16 bit USB PCMCIA cards... I forget where, though...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-12-30 3:49 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Ugh, wish I was here earlier.

Sorry, but my pictures will not exactly be available until I can get my server to close... (C:Amie, stop laughing! )

I might copy them onto a public host for all to see. Although, they will not be very interesting until I get something really running (In other words, getting a decent cross-compiler. Or someone could donate a microdrive ).

The cardbus limitation is device only, at least for all the general ones like the 720 (are there any that physically support it?).

Although, there is obviously much more driver support in Linux, as it is a regular use system now. Cards that we could never dream of getting to work on CE could possibly be PnP on Linux.

But no, the cardbus limitation is physical.

As far as the usb pcmcia cards, there are a few pictures on the internet hinting of their short existence, and there likely is a card out there. However, I would expect very few to have been produced, and chances of finding it are slim. But there is always a chance.

Oh, and there is another usb cf card that should be out on the market sometime in 2006. I already posted on it elsewhere, and do not want to find it again. I think it cost about 20 euros less than the ratoc. But it is still a ripoff in my opinion.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-12-30 5:39 AM
#
H/PC Elite

ok, i've found something that may back my statement:

from http://www.esis.com.au/AdvSerialCards/CardBus.htm

"The M2810 USB Port for Notebooks is a CardBus card (32-bit version of the PCMCIA).

This means that you must have CardBus slots for the device to work, and enabling you to add USB ports to your notebook.
The reason is that the USB Host requires a 32-bit interface to handle the data
from the up to 127 USB devices that can be connected to the USB host ports simultaneously.
"

So, i still believe 16 bit PCMCIA USB hosts are non existant.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-30 6:25 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

then why can a CF usb host exist?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-30 6:48 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-12-30 9:49 AM

Ugh, wish I was here earlier.

Sorry, but my pictures will not exactly be available until I can get my server to close... (C:Amie, stop laughing! )

I might copy them onto a public host for all to see. Although, they will not be very interesting until I get something really running (In other words, getting a decent cross-compiler. Or someone could donate a microdrive ).

please please upload pics...
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-12-30 7:56 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Cmonex, good point. 16/32 bit has nothing to do with the USB spec. It's too bad more vendors didn't get on the bandwagon for 16 bit usb cards when they had the chance.

Anyway, I can confirm my Casio E200 sled supports 32 bit cardbus. I use an Intel 2011B wifi card in it. It is definitely a 32 bit card. Hmm, that means with the right drivers it could use any 32 bit card.

Since the E200 sled has usb there's no point in my trying a 32 bit usb pccard. The only other 32 bit card I own is a firewire card and there's no drivers on the cd for CE.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10