x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Can a HPC running Linux use a card bus pcmcia card?

1 2 3 4
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-25 6:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi - 2006-01-25 11:47 PM

How is SH3 slow? My 360LX works great... I do like MIPS better, because you can run much more programs (including CE 1) on one HPC...

hrm, well, as the compaq 2xxx is slow... 360LX is not slower than that i don't know why the compaq is so slow, the nec 750C with almost the same Mhz (80 vs 75 Mhz) is so much faster. one of the fastest CE2 hpc's.

ok i mean slow only relatively... i think they're all usable

btw why are more programs available for mips CE2? can you name some examples?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-25 6:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi - 2006-01-25 11:47 PM

How is SH3 slow? My 360LX works great... I do like MIPS better, because you can run much more programs (including CE 1) on one HPC...

hrm, well, as the compaq 2xxx is slow... 360LX is not slower than that i don't know why the compaq is so slow, the nec 750C with almost the same Mhz (80 vs 75 Mhz) is so much faster. one of the fastest CE2 hpc's.

ok i mean slow only relatively... i think they're all usable

btw why are more programs available for mips CE2? can you name some examples?
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-01-25 10:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

You are welcome!

Well, the key prevents 3.3V cards from physically going into a 5V socket, and explode

But it won't prevent a 5V card from going into a 3.3V socket. In which case the socket can determine if the card can operate at 3.3V by probing one of the pins. This pin should be open in 5V cards (a reserved pin), and grounded in 3.3V cards. So the socket would provide the appropriate voltage, if it can of course.

A dual voltage card can have the 5V key, so it can go into a 5V socket, and also have the grounded pin, so it can also work at 3.3V.

CardBus cards must operate at 3.3V, so a CardBus slot must support that voltage in the first place. That's all.

P.S. It's all in the primer; I simply summarized it
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-27 3:49 AM
#
H/PC Elder

tenjeangosi - 2006-01-25 5:47 PM

cmonex - 2006-01-24 6:10 PM

SH3 was never a real competitor (its sloow)

Jean, with my recent fiddling with rom swaps between my mobilepros I now wonder if the sh3 slowness in benchmarks isn't due in part, or in whole to ce 2.11 and not the sh3 architecture.

There was no doubt that my 690 (133mhz) was terribly slow compared to my 6651 (129mhz) but maybe that's an unfair comparison because the 6651 is a speed demon for its Mhz.

After swapping around roms on my mobilepros I discovered that ce 2.11 didn't benchmark nearly as well as hpc2k. Also, using ce 2.11 was visibly slower on the mps than hpc2k. Some simple tasks took 2 or 3 times as long.

Is there a hpc2k SH3? That would be a fairer benchmark test against a mips hpc2k.

The Jornada 548 is sh3, I think. The benchmark from that ppc would be of interest. I've heard from past owners of 54x ppcs and they thought it was pretty speedy.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 2:39 PM
#
H/PC Elder

But then again ppl say PPC is much slower than HPC or core CE, even if the same version.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-01-28 2:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2006-01-24 5:10 PM
Intel never made the strongarm, they bought it from ARM (advanced risc something) and then created Xscale.

just a little additional info: psion pda's started using ARM in 1996 (or 97?). before (or when) CE1 came out first

Yes when I said Intel had been making StrongARMs for years, I meant manufacturing. And they did. I didn't mean they designed it.

The ARM was the original, the StrongARM was later developed for higher performance. I'm sure both (and for that matter all CPUs) were used in many devices before CE was released
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 26