x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

IPAQ 5555 can using linux change french to english OS?

bbcole2
bbcole2 Page Icon Posted 2006-01-11 2:22 PM
#
I bought a IPAQ 5555 from a person that said 'all you have to do it contact HP to change the language to english' Yah I was had. If Icould, would changing to linux change the OS to english?
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-01-11 4:33 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

This site is devoted to HPC form factor devices (clam shell style with keyboards), not Pocket PC devices. You would be better off searching for advice on PPC related topics at one of the excellent PPC sites that are out there.

Assuming that the IPAQ in question has a flash rom and the only hardware difference between the US and French versions is the language of the CE OS installed into that rom, then moving to Linux should enable you to run the OS of your choosing. This is all speculation though, as I don't own one and in fact have never owned a PPC.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-11 4:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bbcole2 - 2006-01-11 8:22 PM

I bought a IPAQ 5555 from a person that said 'all you have to do it contact HP to change the language to english' Yah I was had. If Icould, would changing to linux change the OS to english?

lol, no, HP won't help with such a thing. that person didn't know that?
but you CAN do it. if you don't mind the above statement no need for linux, nope. get the english rom image (either some rom update which replaces the whole rom, downloadable from hp.com usually - or.. well.. other methods ), and search for the trick how to cheat the HP rom updater since by default it won't allow you to reflash the rom with a different language (how stupid really!).
there's such a trick, i can assure you but can't remember it now. if it is the same as with the hp1940 that's relatively easy. (possibly it is the same - then be careful about the timing of the steps!)
so.. do your homework with google.

oh and it is not a PPC forum. all i know is from friends who have done such things with their PPC's. hope the above helped, but we probably can't help more here.

Edited by cmonex 2006-01-11 4:55 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-01-13 7:36 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

When reflashing a device, you remove whatever used to be there. So yes, it would change the language as well.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9