x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Pocket on schedule v6.0 public beta released

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-19 9:56 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

After quite some time out of the Mobile Device spotlight, two years in fact. Odyssey Computing, Inc have come back with a vengeance. Formally announcing the public beta release of their award winning Pocket on schedule.

The public beta is available as a free download to any interested part willing to spend some time looking at the application and hunting for those illusive bugs. Odyssey are also interested in what you think of the release as well as any additional product enhancement ideas that you may have.
The beta of On Schedule v6 is available for Handheld PC Professional, HPC2000 and Windows CE 4.x .net devices. A host client release is also available for Windows platforms running Windows 98 and above and NT 4.0 and higher.

With Pocket on Schedule, Odyssey are directly targeting Microsoft Pocket Outlook and its Personal Information Management functions. For Windows CE 4 users, On Schedule is the premiere PIM replacement and frequent first choice - receiving updates and enhancements over the statically released Pocket Office.
When released Pocket on Schedule retails for $90 (£50 GBP, €72 EUD, 10,000 JPY est.)

View: Odyssey Computing, Inc
 Top of the page Quote Reply
stolk Page Icon Posted 2004-12-19 10:47 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

There is a hidden expiry date in the beta version, not yet discovered the evaluation period exact duration, but guess it is only 30 days.

Hope that PSION-Teklogix will bring out a new Netbook PRO OS ROM version including the new POS once V6 release version is there.

With the previous POS versions (incl 5.3) I experienced strange problems, after a while it would claim "out of memory" while trying to open the database. I've tried various form to get arround. The only option that worked was deleting the programme and the database and installing POS again, sync the database again with Outlook etc. It looks as if the database of the previous versions becomes somehow corrupt. Any attempt failed to recover the crashed database by open it in the access or excel on the PC (after converting).

Did not faced this or similar problems with the V6 beta. So it looks like they worked on it.

Would have appreciated if Oddysey incorporated the B-fax module in V6, in order to be able to send a fax. If you try to send a fax the programme asks for bFAX. Have been trying to buy a full copy of Bfax-pro, but failed. Both links on handheld attitude do not work anymore.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-19 11:11 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I could come up with the trial version of bFax, but there is simply no way to buy it now short of Second hand. A lot of devices had bFax in ROM, which is where their logic comes from.

They should add integration with KSE TrueFax, at least that is current and people can still purchase it. TrueFax Review

We should raise it with Odyssey.
takwu Page Icon Posted 2004-12-20 2:07 AM
#
H/PC Elder

That's quite expensive to purchase for use on an HPC, especially an old one.

But I have a theory... since some CE 4 devices include this software as their PIM, could this new development be preparation for another CE 4 or even CE 5 device?
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-28 5:01 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Wait, a beta that isn't a full free version that lasts forever? Isn't the point of a beta to give the user a full version of the system, considering that it is unstable, and not make it a trial? That may turn away a lot of possible beta testers, like me for example.
takwu Page Icon Posted 2004-12-28 7:39 PM
#
H/PC Elder

From the sound of that, I don't think the developers missed any profittable opportunity. Or they could have if they had done things /differently/
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 57 - Executed queries : 15