x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

J-720 Distro Progress

1 2 3 4
snickersmd Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 3:42 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-02-05 12:24 AM

But for now, there will be full Ipkg and Deb support, because that is where the software is. Believe me, I am not trying to kill the project.

The only reason I made an issue of this is because your earlier posts regarding apt and ipkg were bordering on inflammatory, i.e.
Also, as I have already stated, I am highly against both apt and ipkg. This is my distribution, and I want to get it as far away from Debian as possible!

Forgive me for being nitpicky on tone. It's still your distro, and your prerogative, but the community comes first.

ProgramSynthesiser
Argh. Are you both missing something?! Matthis's image is not as good as mine is, and he started off the same way! I have a stable Sarge base, better than his.

karloch
Ok ok, we are not missing you, don't be upset xD We are just talking about Matthis' image because it is what is available right not.

Ditto. Until your stuff is ready for primetime, it's the Matthis image, Familiar-Opie, and Familiar-GPE. I think I've already mentioned why the two Familiars aren't quite what I'm looking for in a Linux distro for the 720. PS, it's all on you.

karloch
From Michael explanations (what a great honor to have you here!)

I said it, didn't I? Build the community, and the coders will come. Kudos to PS for initiating communication, and kudos to Michael for finding time to visit.

ps
I am becoming very irritated - I cannot explain what I mean until I can show you all! Right now, I need to wait for a microdrive to come in, which I can finally afford. Until then, I see no point in arguing.

We're not arguing... yet. This isn't arguing. It's healthy discussion.

I just found how to get generic, OEM 2.2 GB microdrives for $60 or less. It's those pocket USB hard disks, Fry's has them. Buy it, pop open the shell, claim your microdrive prize inside. Oh, and the shell works great as a CF card reader too. Now that I have mine, I'm playing with the CF slot on my Jornada to make it a Type II with the cover.

MichaelGernoth
On ARM you can't decide where the processor resumes. It will always start on 0x0 in ROM. On the jornada, there is a direct jump to 0x1000, which is still in ROM and resembles remarkably some sample wince-bootloader code found in the MSDN. But I couldn't find an easy way to resume linux by disassembling the bootloader (with gnu objdump).

karloch
Quite interesting. That explain the resuming difficulties. But we are not so concern about ressuming. Our main goal it be able to rebbot Linux and get back into Windows CE, where we can do a full suspend. As I'm sure that you know, is quite a pain to be removing the battery everytime.

If I understand the code required correctly, the problem of resume and rebooting Linux is one and the same. Once you signal a reboot, and Linux shuts down, there needs to be a way to pass a memory location to the processor such that the processor can start executing WinCE again. And as Michael has pointed out, there seems to be no way to do that, the ARM processor always starts at 0x0. Therefore, resume is the key, whether we're talking about resuming Linux from a full suspend, or resuming WinCE after Linux exits. I'm sure that somewhere along the line a solution will be figured out, but I understand the technicalities that make it so difficult to begin with. In the meantime, I will see what I can do about implementing my hardware hacks to make our experimentation as painless as possible.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 4:00 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Can you confirm that the OEM microdrive works in your 720? In about an hour?

That would make my life considerably easier, because Fry's stopped selling microdrives altogether.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 4:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

karloch - 2006-02-05 2:02 PM

About the romdup, I have dumped mine so you can get it at http://karloch.hispamsx.org/temp/rom.bz2 (yes, it's bzipped to save about 50% of space, it's 12 MB long now).

wow thanks for this!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-05 5:54 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Ok, I won the 340mb microdrive here.

This was meant as an experiment, as it did not cost much at all. I might upgrade to a 2.2gb sometime.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-PC-CARD-ADAPTER-WITH-340mg-IBM-MICRODRIVE-P...
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9