x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Info on the WCF54G (802.11g) and the Handheld PC

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-21 12:36 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Linksys have finally posted drivers for the WCF54G WiFi 802.11g adapter.
As I am sure many of you know this is the first 802.11g hardware device which is compatible from a hardware stand point with Windows CE devices.

The WCF54G is a Type II CF Card, 16-bit (All other G adapters are 32-bit CardBus) with a tranciever head. 2.4GHz, 54Mbps and supports 128-bit WEP.

Here is a picture courtacy of Linksys:

Linksys have posted a drive build from the 26th August 2004 onto their site for the first time within the last couple of weeks. The rather heafty Zip compressed installer weighs in at 10.5 MB - not much fun for dial-up users.

The reason why the binary distribution package is so large is that it contains builds for just about every CPU going under CE3 and CE4.2.

wl300.ARM720.CAB
wl300.i486.CAB
wl300.R3000.CAB
wl300.R4100.CAB
wl300.R4111.CAB
wl300.R4300.CAB
wl300.SA1100.CAB
wl300.SH3.CAB
wl300.SH4.CAB
wl420.ARMV4.CAB
wl420.ARMV4I.CAB
wl420.MIPSII.CAB
wl420.MIPSIV.CAB
wl420.SH3.CAB
wl420.SH4.CAB
wl420.x86.CAB

First off the obvious bad news. No CE2.00 through 2.12 and HPC Pro drivers.
Jornada 700 series users will need to get a PCMCIA > CF adapter.

Now for the drivers.
The CAB's are scripted for installation onto Pocket PC only. I did force the issue and installed them onto a 720. I can report that the Linksys Configuration application; "WCF54G Wireless Network Monitor" did indeed work.
It reported that the driver wasn't loaded and the following info:
Driver Build 618, Client version 3.04

The driver reports as supporting Peer-to-Peer, WAP Client and "Act as base station".

Now the caveat. I don't actually have one of the cards to test it with - I don't even have a Wireless Network. The config application also automatically closes after a number of seconds. the exact cause I don't currently know. No error's are being reported. It could be down to the adapter not being present (speculation).

I have nothing to offer on the 4.2 driver actually installing on CE 4.2 .net.

So!
I throw open to the community. Has anyone seen the adapter, know anyone with one, or indeed already tried it with their H/PC?
If anyone has any further information, please post here.

I'm willing to send the individual CABs to anyone who wants them, the 10MB package is a little excessive.

View: Official Linksys Product Website
Download: Full driver package (10.5MB)

NB: This is not an endorcement of the product and in the same light neither I or HPC:Factor suggesting that the adapter is H/PC compatible.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-21 8:26 PM
#
H/PC Elder

oh cool!

... ... now just have to upgrade my MP790 to take advantage of that added speed!

I reckon all those on MIPS or ARMs cpu lesser than 300Mhz do not even have to think about it ya? 'cos with the kind of cpu speed and ram, will the G be fully utilized? For that matter, can the slower devices even max out the 802.11b yet?
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2004-12-21 9:18 PM
#
H/PC Elder

First, it's not *really* the first one that is compatible hardware wise. There are USB ones remember? But they just don't have the drivers for WinCE. And then there are still rumors of some 16-bit PC Card with G compatibility...

But anyway, this is indeed another hope for G. Thx C:Amie for testing the drivers. I will see how much it sells for. If I get one, I would try it on my friend's G router and see if I would need to return it

But it might take some time, maybe until after the new year.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-22 12:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think you're arguing swings and roundabouts there my friend.

If you were to test it out that would be great! I'd love to add a G to the HCL. You would be doing the community a huge favour as there are a lot of people out there looking for G adapters. I should know; they all email me
 Top of the page
Help!
Help! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-01 3:27 PM
#
i have pocketmac and i need the cab driver for a dell axim x50 because i can't use .exe files (i have a mac) please help my email is bun-bun_bunny@comcast.net
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-02 9:35 AM
#
H/PC Elder

C-Amie - 2004-12-22 10:48 AM

I think you're arguing swings and roundabouts there my friend.

If you were to test it out that would be great! I'd love to add a G to the HCL. You would be doing the community a huge favour as there are a lot of people out there looking for G adapters. I should know; they all email me

Alright, I'm all system go to do hardware testing now. Any retailers or Linksys need a h/w tester?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 41 - Executed queries : 30