x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE 1.0 and XP

1 2 3 4 5
The_Chief Page Icon Posted 2006-08-18 7:46 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks C:Amie, I ran DccMan.exe from the folder, then hooked up the HPC. I got the satisfying purr of connection, and then double-clicked HPC Explorer. It's just like the screen capture: Explorer just sits there and waits to connect...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 10:45 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The_Chief,

I have rechecked my stated sequence, and it is correct.

Can you confirm that you have no other applications running which are trying to use the COM port.
That you Do Not have ActiveSync installed
That you installed the original HPC Explorer 1.1 redist and Not my HPC:Factor HPCEx XP 1.1 Beta
 Top of the page
The_Chief Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 12:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

C:Amie,

The only things that would even know about COM4 are the network connection we set up and the HPC Explorer that I told to use COM4. The only thing I can think of is that the network connection, in using COM4 to link the HPC, is preventing HPC Explorer from using it. Maybe that's why the link shows "connected" and HPC can never get in.

As far as ActiveSync, I searched the Crive and found an Microsoft ActiveSync folder, in which resides the single file RICHINK.dll

HPC Explorer was installed from the authentic Microsoft Windows CE OEM CD that came with the HPC when I bought it new. I can tell you that during install a prompt appeared that said NT Service Pack 2 was installed and would have to be reinstalled. I disregarded it since none of the HPC facotr instructions mentioned it, figuring that it was an error caused by the software's inability to recognize WinXP. Perhaps that's the show-stopper.

Sorry that my drama here has you scratching your head too... I didn't mean for my confusion to be contagious

Thanks
 Top of the page
The_Chief Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 12:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

BTW that was "C: Drive" the colon and capital D together was read as a smiley
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 12:32 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The_Chief,

Believe me, I'm not at my head scratching stage yet, I'm still gathering the pieces of the jigsaw

You need to realise here that CESDC0002 is outlining a hack to get HPCEx to run under XP, it isn't actually compatible with Windows XP.

richink.dll is fine, it's part of MS Office compatiblity, it's attepting to replace the old office 2000 version of the file with a Office XP/2003 compatible one. MS Works also does it, as do other "components" of MS Office.

On XP:
Disconnect your device and kill off HPCEx
Head back into Network Connections, right click Incoming Connections, properties on it
Ensure that on the users tab the anon PDA option is still selected, deselect any user accounts that you have specificed for the connection
Go to the networking tab
Highlight TCP/IP
Hit the properties button
Remove the option to allow the incoming device to specific its own IP address
Specific the IP address range as 192.168.55.101 and 192.168.55.102

OK back to the desktop and re-run my conneciton sequence from my last post.
 Top of the page
The_Chief Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 12:41 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

To make sure I understand you correctly:

"On XP:
Disconnect your device and kill off HPCEx"

So I am uninstalling it again, right?

"Head back into Network Connections, right click Incoming Connections, properties on it
Ensure that on the users tab the anon PDA option is still selected, deselect any user accounts that you have specificed for the connection"

Even guest? So no users will be checked.

Then I will proceed. Will let you know what happens in a few minutes...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 12:44 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No, kill off = remove from memory, close it all down, reboot, whatever takes your fancy.

So that no users are checked, your device isn't going to even attempt to authenticate so there's not point having the OS wait for it to try
 Top of the page
The_Chief Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 12:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Oh ok, so just turn it off and reboot. LOL when you say "kill off" at this point I'm ready to wipe it out!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 12:51 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Good luck.
 Top of the page
The_Chief Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 12:52 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

You know what happens, C:Amie? When I connect the HPC, the "unauthenticated user" connection appears in the Network Connections window... when I disconnect the HPC and the link breaks, the whole connection disappears, leaving only the LAN showing
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 1:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ok... but did it work with H/PC Explorer? (One problem at a time)
 Top of the page
The_Chief Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 1:06 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

It doesn't matter whether I open HPCex first and THEN connect the cable or if I connect first and then start HPCex, the program just sits and waits for connection. Meanwhile, the computer-to-computer link goes right through and connects like a dream! Now if I could just ride along it to transfer files. Do you think there's a conflict with 2 different links trying to use the COM4?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 1:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It is odd that it has been assigned up to COM4. There shouldn't be a problem what so ever. I tested this myself, with a CE1 device this morning to be sure that it connected in the sequence I gave. I wrote the book on doing this

I'll remote assistance with you on it if you like.
 Top of the page
The_Chief Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 1:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I know you wrote the book on it, which is why I'm so grateful for your help. And we're so infuriatingly close!
 Top of the page
The_Chief Page Icon Posted 2006-08-24 9:39 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

C:Amie, I know you're busy so when you get a chance I'd like to try and beat this thing. Thanks
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9