x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 with HPC 2000 /Aol ?

Topdrum1 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-09 7:42 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Can anyone tell me how to access AOL anywhere? I get to the page through IE 4.1 and then my Jornada freezes. Is there a setting I should change? HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks,
CJ
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-09 9:52 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Did you post yesterday about this in Off Topic? I gave some advice there. The short of it is that you can't access AOL Anywhere with PIE 4.0 regardless of how it's hacked.

You can, however, use Pocket Outlook--with much faster speeds--to get your AOL mail.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-09 12:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to HPC2000 Support

There are quite afew threads now on AOL now, please have a search around as part of you troubleshooting.
 Top of the page
charliet
charliet Page Icon Posted 2006-02-09 3:59 PM
#
You can set up an imap client on the 720 and download email. However you will not be able to send email via imap client as AOL requires authentication. Pocket Outlook cannot do this on this platform. AOL does not have POP3 capability.

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-09 4:03 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Actually, if you download and setup the free nPOP, you can send AOL email from that program instead of Pocket Outlook, since nPOP supports smtp authentication.

Jake
 Top of the page
entoboy
entoboy Page Icon Posted 2006-06-27 6:45 PM
#
But doesn't nPOP not support IMAP, and AOL only support IMAP? Or can npop also somehow look at html too?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-27 7:06 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

html and imap dont have anything to do with each other. npop should be able to do imap and if you edit the npop ini file you might get html email working or so i heard
 Top of the page
entoboy
entoboy Page Icon Posted 2006-06-28 4:07 AM
#
nPop is not compatible with IMAP. It said in their faq... that, and it just doesn't work when you try. By HTML email, I meant access the actual html webpage to access the email from a website like, say AIM.com, which you can't do on the Jornada 720's internet explorer (it redirects you to a "classic" log in page, which you ultimately find to be a dead link). And yes, I've made the tweak to change the Jornada's IE to be recognized as 6.0. Still doesn't work on aim.com's email login page. I have, however changed the ini in nPop so that you can see html WITHIN the mail that is sent via pop, but nevertheless, IMAP failed.

Edited by entoboy 2006-06-28 4:09 AM
 Top of the page
gorgon5 Page Icon Posted 2006-06-28 5:58 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

The only IMAP program I've found for the J720 is Qmail, but nobody seems to know how to set up the security certificates for SSL. Until that happens it's useless
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-06-28 6:06 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

AOL functions well on the J-720 if you're willing to receive via Pocket Inbox/Qmail3 and send via nPOP. I agree: qmail3 is a mystery. I can get AOL on qmail, but can't send--it doesn't even try to connect, and I can't figure it out, considering that I don't need SSL and it has smtp authentication.

But qmail is faster than Pocket Inbox for receiving AOL mail.

Given that it was years before AOL went IMAP, I feel fortunate to have even this setup. Especially for such a lousy ISP and service. But when you move around the world and have been an AOL member since 1995, a lot of people know you only by your email address...

Jake
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-28 9:50 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Which is a great reason to have another company forward that address to a new one under an isp that isn't so pitiful...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9