x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Welcome to HPC:Factor v2.0

1 2 3 4
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 4:19 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Welcome everybody to the second incarnation of HPC:Factor.

We hope very much that you like the new design, and the upgrades that we have made for and included into the forum. It has been a long time coming, and a lot of work for us. We do houwever look forward to you exploring the site, finding new features and hearing what you think.

We will of course be letting you know more broadly of some of the new features on the site over the coming days on the home page and here on the forums. So in the mean time, all that remains is for me to say; enjoy!
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Cyberstorm Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 4:40 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Fantastic!!! Site looks great and response is so much better - night and day difference! Great job guys/gals getting this done! Hats off to you!
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 5:06 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Wow, this is fast!!! Just have to get used to the new layout.
Jazz Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 5:11 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

The site seems faster indeed. Too bad the new sidebar screws up the view on my SIMPad: I now have a horizontal scroller where before I had none.

Still, it /is/ faster...
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 5:13 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Jazz, Don't worry about the scrolling issue, we are working on that, it's coming in stages after the main release of the site. V2's core has been written to address this issue specificly.
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 5:58 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Holy c***, this is different! Not different as in bad, just echoing Yoldering. The speed improvement is noticeable, too. Now, when it says "you will be redirected in one second", you really are! Previously, it was one LONG second. Ha ha! Great job John R., Clinton, Chris, et al.

(Clinton, excellent posts on m.p.hpc BTW.)
Thanks everyone,

Edited by KBoyKool 2006-02-14 5:59 PM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 6:03 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The site is now running under MSSQL Server, so things are going to be substantially better gererally, irrespective of the spec of the new front end server.

There have also been massive performance improvments in the kernel performance of the forum Core. The guys at PD9Soft need to be given a round of appliause for that. The HPC:Factor core has also be rewritten and is now 9x10 to the million times more effective at doing its job.

It's quite a story really this site, one I'm sure I'll tell another day
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 6:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Kudos!
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 6:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Chris, any way to turn off that left column (navigation column) in the forum to gain horizontal space when viewing...or is it locked into the web page...

Rich
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 7:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The side bar is locked into the UI. V2 was intentionally designed for XGA or higher - sorry to lower res desktop users, but that's the way the web is moving now.

For CE users, I will start up a beta soon which will help to sort these issues out, so if you are using a H/PC currently, this wont be a permanent issue.
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 7:14 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Alright!! ... Three Cheers for Chris!! Hip, hip hurray! Hip, hip hurray! Hip, hip Hurray!

sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 7:24 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

It's....different.
Guyturf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 9:23 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Gotta say... this is a great update to a great site. I'm on 26.4 dialup... the forums before were torture, now... pure pleasure!

Thanks!

Keep up the great work
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 10:54 PM
#
Good lord this is fast...

C:Amie, my heart goes out to you...

Simply an amazing overhaul.

EDIT:

An aside about HPC screen size and removing the left bar. If you can live without the left nav, you can always add a custom stylesheet and use this:

td.sidebar {
display: none;
}

Removes the sidebar, albeit ugly and hacked out it will reduce the size of the horizontal scroll bar.

Edited by abyssknight 2006-02-14 11:09 PM
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 11:32 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

At first, I was somewhat skeptical about how good the new design could really be. I was comfortable with the old one. But now, after replying to a few threads, it is much better. Sure, the sidebar could definitely have a hide feature, but my favorite addition is the quick reply box. Todopocketpc had one, and I missed it here.

It looks like the forum needs some slight touches, but other than that, this is an incredible improvement. And the server must be amazing! I have not posted on a faster forum.
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 19