x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: hp Jornada 720 (Flashback)

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 7:20 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

cmonex - 2006-02-15 7:32 AM

mm yes i agree the review was a little basic (clearly aimed at newbies and pocketpc users ), takwu's ideas could really improve on it or anything that would have been a little more detailed or/and jornada 720 specific. i'm really missing those little things.

The primary audience was the new-to-H/PC user so it is somewhat basic in nature. I appreciate the feedback and comments.

Top of the page Quote Reply
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 1:51 PM
#
The backup battery is designed to only provide a few hours of memory storage so it is important for users to remember to keep their main battery charged at all times and make use of A/C when possible.

Can't the Jornada be turned off like a normal laptop?
Won't the settings be saved to i.e. the CompactFlash card?

Thanks,
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 2:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No, Windows CE devices don't operate like that. However you have to consider it based upon the merits of the device. There are no mechanical parts to them, so you can thorw them around (within rason) unlike a laptop, so it doesn't matte if it reamins on / in stand by. Due to these changes and other hardware fundimentals, the battery time you will see with the device on stand-by and a good battery... well, we're talking days, week(s) with a great battery/backup batter combination.

Also remember that Clinton is referring to the backup battery. These devices have redundant battery cells.These are specifically designed to cover the "what if" scenario of "what happens to my data if the AC is disconnected and the battery falls out?" Not that the bettety will fall out here mind, however that is what the backup one does. You don't run the device off of it - that's the main battery.
x3m
x3m Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 3:02 PM
#
Oh.. I thought we could turn it off.
Thanks for the info
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 10:06 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well yes and no. When you turn it "off", you actually "suspend" it. That means most of the machine is off, except that the memory is still powered. It is equivalent to the "standby" option in Windows for PC.

Both Handheld PC and Pocket PC behave this way. The exception is the latest Windows Mobile 5 for Pocket PC, where a "full-off" mode is available.
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 10:24 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'd like to emphasize that with a recent backup who cares if your hpc hard resets due to dead batteries? You can restore any hpc I know of in a couple of minutes and away you go.
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9