x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: hp Jornada 720 (Flashback)

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 5:37 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It is the device that was to make or break the hp Clamshell line, and ironically is achieved both!

Its place in the hearts of H/PC users the world over is assured, and many regard it as the benchmark, the height of H/PC technology from the HVGA form factor. We are of course referring to the Hewlett Packard Jornada 720.

So after all this time, how does the 720 shape up when seen through modern eyes. Chief Reviews Editor of HPC:Factor Clinton Fitch takes a look at this most venerable handheld in the latest HPC:Factor Flashback!

Read the review and have your say right here on the forums!

Review: hp Jornada 720
 Top of the page Quote Reply
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-02-14 6:21 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yet another excellent review from HPC:Factor ...
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 3:12 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Nicely done Clinton. The focus on built-in applications is a bit of a surprise - but a good one. I like the screenshots of Contacts and Calendar - they contrast from the equivalent Pocket PC versions, and I think they show the benefit of the 640x240 screen quite well.

However I would have preferred a real webpage for the IE screenshot. Web browsing has been a constant annoyance on the Pocket PC screen, and much less so on a Handheld PC. Also multiple windowing is a great platform-wise feature (lacking in PPC) that is especially useful for web browsing.

The hardware section is very descriptive, giving current PPC users a rough idea the similarities and differences to their devices. PC Card is something not found in PPCs for a long time. It has certain applications that are either hard to find or very expansive by CF, and probably impossible by SDIO. A good example is a Sony Memory Stick adapter, and another is an Ethernet NIC. The review also left out the infrared window, the serial port, and the cradle.

And finally, I think the most important feature that was left out of the review is the keyboard. It is a bit controversial, but for a significant population of users this keyboard is touchtypable. Having such a keyboard in a device of this size is in my opinion a significant part of Jornada 720's success, regardless of it being inherited from the predecessors.

Besides the omissions, I think the points in this review are well put, and the presentation is excellent.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 8:32 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

mm yes i agree the review was a little basic (clearly aimed at newbies and pocketpc users ), takwu's ideas could really improve on it or anything that would have been a little more detailed or/and jornada 720 specific. i'm really missing those little things.
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 10:02 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

This is the reason I stay away from hardware reviews.......it very difficult to please people.

The oldtimers think the review is to simplistic and doesn't cover some of what they consider important artibutes of the H/PC and Newbie's, they think that the review is to generalized and want more information on basic features.

Anyway - for what it's worth.....nice work Clinton!

Considering the fact that there are dozens of H/PC that have never been reviewed.....it would sure be great if some of the members of this forum took the time to post reviews of their favorite Handheld PC. I'm sure Chris & Clint would be very grateful.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 10:54 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey it is not difficult to please me! i liked that the review concentrated on the newbie / ppc user, i just missed a few things, that's all

i'll try to review a few hpc's in the near future
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 1:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Maybe you should do the MP900c or even one of your Sigmarions...
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 2:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes i'd like to write about them
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 9:05 AM
#
Do the Sigs! Do the Sigs!! They're so rare and carry such a mystic about them that a Sig review would be fantastic!!

Ckinton, excellent review mate. I would have probably added on how useful the built in modem is. In most of my travels, 90% of the time, my internet connections have been provided through a dial up connection. With the advent of so many new wireless technologies, most reviews of more modern mobile device failed to acknowledge that such technologies are for the most part, not available in most places and is expensive to boot. I know I could never rely on an HTC Universal to keep me connected where I travel to, my J728 can.

In fact, the built in modem is the one big reason why I did not go with the 9500 (and I'm a Symbian NUT!!), and is willing to invest good money to keep my J happily ticking over.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 9:27 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

OK both sigmarions? hmm chiark is already working on the III, but maybe i could offer a different viewpoint (i don't know) ?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 9:44 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Reviews are a difficult balance. I've never used the internal modem on a 720 (well, OK I checked it worked when I got Chloe). I use IR if I have to dial up.

These points are all good ones though, and worthwhile features to mention
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 9:36 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

The review is excellent, but I think that maybe some more on the hardware and options could be added in. But I do not know how.
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 11:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

cmoneX, please do your Sigmarions ..
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 2:08 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Shame about actually making and breaking the line, the J710/20/28s are excellent machines, they are also quite tough little bligthers, not as weak as I expected!
The things they lack is a USB port, USB connectivity on the unit (not the docking station) and a decent and more responsve TFT screen. The keys are a little fiddily at times and the stylus is just.... hopeless.
You can't have it all I suppose, but there is one great thing the 710/20 is good at,
/me flicks the swtich at the front of the unit and plugs in some headphones
Audio! Beats those iPODs and it is NEVER as loud!
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 7:19 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

takwu - 2006-02-15 2:12 AM

Nicely done Clinton. The focus on built-in applications is a bit of a surprise - but a good one. I like the screenshots of Contacts and Calendar - they contrast from the equivalent Pocket PC versions, and I think they show the benefit of the 640x240 screen quite well.

However I would have preferred a real webpage for the IE screenshot. Web browsing has been a constant annoyance on the Pocket PC screen, and much less so on a Handheld PC. Also multiple windowing is a great platform-wise feature (lacking in PPC) that is especially useful for web browsing.

The hardware section is very descriptive, giving current PPC users a rough idea the similarities and differences to their devices. PC Card is something not found in PPCs for a long time. It has certain applications that are either hard to find or very expansive by CF, and probably impossible by SDIO. A good example is a Sony Memory Stick adapter, and another is an Ethernet NIC. The review also left out the infrared window, the serial port, and the cradle.

And finally, I think the most important feature that was left out of the review is the keyboard. It is a bit controversial, but for a significant population of users this keyboard is touchtypable. Having such a keyboard in a device of this size is in my opinion a significant part of Jornada 720's success, regardless of it being inherited from the predecessors.

Besides the omissions, I think the points in this review are well put, and the presentation is excellent.

Thanks for the comments on the review. Hardware reviews are one of those things where it is hard to include everything and I know that I left some things out of it. In the case of the keyboard, that was just simply an omission. I assume everyone knows about the keyboard and did no thing more than briefly mention it.

Just goes to show I'm still learning how to review!
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 27