x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

JLime Tutorial

1 2 3
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 4:27 AM
#
Hi,

Does anyone have a copy of the JLIme install guide (used to be on their forum). I'm trying to rewrite it but i'd like that as a reference (it was quite newbie friendly).

Thanks in advance...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 8:06 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hehh i would love your jlime guide
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 5:52 AM
#
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 11:13 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Ooh, very pretty. Congrats

But is Linux actually useful on a HPC, specifically a 660LX? My days of interest in kicking tires is over - I've claimed the OS mountain and seen the Promised Land before. I use Win because I can get work done, for although it is winter in my parts and (right now) I do just about nothing on my off time (except sleep to make up for my complete lack of same during the work week), when spring/summer comes my world comes down to motorcycling or other parts of life...and the other is usually the loser

Fighting with a computer just to get an OS working is no longer a part of my "fun". Am I getting old? Damn right. Too long around computers and them constantly sucking up every bit of energy I have - I swear they were created by aliens just to subjugate the human race in mind-twisting brain farts! Why invade when you can just make machines that everyone believes will help but in actuality just takes every ounce of mental energy just to keep bloody working??!

Anyway...

Really, can you do anything useful with a 6xx running Linux? Is it fast enough? Are there real apps? Do features - hardware/software - actually work?

Does Mary stop running off with the postman and come back to her family of 6 with a bum husb...

Oops, wrong forum
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 12:18 PM
#
Yes, its very useful.

You can run a working browser (Konqueror, and reports of Firefox), you can run a full office suite. It runs quickly. Support any PCMCIA card that you can get linux to work. Upgradeable and tidy when installed.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 3:44 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

It really is opinion versus opinion here. Personally, until Linux works perfectly on the Jornadas, it is not necessarily better. Then again, it has new, powerful applications that keep the Jornada's able to cope with today's technology.

CE has trouble there. Than again, if there is suddenly a spike in development activity for CE (ooh, just wait until I get started ), things could change on the CE front, and then it will be an up-to-date system again as well.

For now, the only thing everyone can do is wait...

For my microdrive!!!

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-02-19 3:47 PM
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 4:22 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I can't wait until the donkey release is finished! Too bad it's missing orinoco/orinoco_cs/prism/prism2 chipset support
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 4:46 PM
#
H/PC Elder

It shouldn't be hard to add that, it is just a matter of compiling the modules for your platform. Hmm
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 5:48 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

chazco - 2006-02-19 11:52 AM

Okay, i've wrote one:
http://www.chazco.co.uk/read52.htm

cool!!! thanks!
 Top of the page
Snake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-19 6:35 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

mscdex - 2006-02-19 4:22 PM

I can't wait until the donkey release is finished! Too bad it's missing orinoco/orinoco_cs/prism/prism2 chipset support

Oooh. Yeah, that's a major bummer That, and someone really needs to write a convenient front-end X app (console w/text box second choice) to handle mutilple WiFi configurations and report available browsed local WiFi networks. I haven't been on top of Linux for a while but IFAIK that's still missing.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 1:26 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Snake - 2006-02-19 6:35 PM

mscdex - 2006-02-19 4:22 PM

Oooh. Yeah, that's a major bummer That, and someone really needs to write a convenient front-end X app (console w/text box second choice) to handle mutilple WiFi configurations and report available browsed local WiFi networks. I haven't been on top of Linux for a while but IFAIK that's still missing.

From what I remember using Opie on my old zaurus sl-5600, there is a connection configuration applet that lets you setup your network interfaces via a GUI. Now scanning for available wifi connections would have to be a 3rd party program. AFAIK the latest version of Opie doesn't contain an applet that has this functionality.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 3:09 AM
#
All Opie applications are available, so if one exists for it you can use it. As for Donkey, at the moment modules can be compiled in but we plan to make it work on an installable basis.

orinoco

The development kernel/userland pack under the topic "Files Rescued from old forum" on JLime site has support i think.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 3:27 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

chazco - 2006-02-20 3:09 AM

All Opie applications are available, so if one exists for it you can use it. As for Donkey, at the moment modules can be compiled in but we plan to make it work on an installable basis.

orinoco

The development kernel/userland pack under the topic "Files Rescued from old forum" on JLime site has support i think.

Do you happen to have the shell script that would download and install opie?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 3:42 AM
#
H/PC Elder

There are definitely X applets that can do wifi stuff. Usually they are dockapps or such, I don't remember.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 4:20 AM
#
mscdex - 2006-02-20 9:27 PM

chazco - 2006-02-20 3:09 AM

orinoco

Do you happen to have the shell script that would download and install opie?

Theres one on the site under the same thread, although it only installs the bare minimum. Hope that helps.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.316 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 30