x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Completely baffled about instructions on OpenSimPad site

1 2
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 12:42 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Jazz, i'm still very sorry to hear about your bad experiences..

hm slowness? i really dont know the simpad. but CE is faster than cacko linux on the zaurus SL-C760, my experience so far with a zaurus i got yesterday (no, no, not mine it's for a friend but i have it here for a few days to play with it). no the zaurus isn't slow, don't worry, but CE is faster at least on my hpc's. as i said i dont have a simpad.
(if you're interested i can tell you more about the zaurus.)

i have never experienced these issues with IE 5.5 or 6.0! really baffled... like the thread title
maybe you used IE 5.0?? i did hear that one is crap.

hum, i hate hand writing so i cant help here also hate the onscreen keyboard (on any OS), i have real hpcs with real keyboards.
but i have an idea about the onscreen thingie, why don't you just scroll in word. instead of moving the keyboard around. sure you have less than 800x600 but still plenty.. i'm happy with HVGA (640x240)..

...but this comment is really SAD:

I was beginning to wonder why you people even have forums dedicated to Wince, but then it hit me (again): virtually nobody can install Linux on an HPC either...

please don't despise CE and CE users this way. thank you.

Edited by cmonex 2006-02-21 12:45 PM
 Top of the page
Jazz Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 2:00 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

cmonex - 2006-02-21 12:42 PM

Jazz, i'm still very sorry to hear about your bad experiences..

hm slowness? i really dont know the simpad. but CE is faster than cacko linux on the zaurus SL-C760, my experience so far with a zaurus i got yesterday (no, no, not mine it's for a friend but i have it here for a few days to play with it). no the zaurus isn't slow, don't worry, but CE is faster at least on my hpc's. as i said i dont have a simpad.
(if you're interested i can tell you more about the zaurus.)

Cacko Linux is the distribution that comes standard with the Zaurus, right? Only Sharp has dropped all support for it and hasn't updated it in aeons. The OpenZaurus distribution is faster, more complete and actively supported by the Zaurus community.

That is, if the Zaurus community has better installation docs than the OpenSIMpad community...

i have never experienced these issues with IE 5.5 or 6.0! really baffled... like the thread title
maybe you used IE 5.0?? i did hear that one is crap.

It's the one that came with WinCE 4.1.

hum, i hate hand writing so i cant help here also hate the onscreen keyboard (on any OS), i have real hpcs with real keyboards.
but i have an idea about the onscreen thingie, why don't you just scroll in word. instead of moving the keyboard around. sure you have less than 800x600 but still plenty.. i'm happy with HVGA (640x240)..

I only have Wordpad, and it is always maximized, so inevitably the keyboard will be obscuring the text I'm typing. It's just stupid software design, and obvious lack of user testing. I expect such quirks from Open Source software, but not from stuff that I, however indirectly, had to pay for.

I do have a Newton keyboard, and eventually it was my plan to install the Bluetooth hardware hack and use my BT keyboard. Of course, that requires Linux...

...but this comment is really SAD:

I was beginning to wonder why you people even have forums dedicated to Wince, but then it hit me (again): virtually nobody can install Linux on an HPC either...

please don't despise CE and CE users this way. thank you.

Well, I'm angry. I know I'm asking without giving at the moment, but the level of actual help -- even if only on this subforum alone -- is not exactly stellar. Okay, the level of help on the OpenSIMpad site is zero, but that ones appears to be in limbo anyway.

Is there anywhere else where I could go to get help to get Linux installed on a SimPad? Hey, at least I'd be off your backs...
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 12:05 AM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2006-02-21 12:07 PM

If anyone can provide me with the correct bootlaoders for the WinCE/Linux installations. I will get them added into that Flash Guide for everyone.

Yes, someone please provide Chris with the proper bootloaders for both CE and Linux. I'm in limbo (as perhaps many others are) without them
 Top of the page
Jazz Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 5:59 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

So, I guess we can close this thread with the conclusions that

a) nobody knows the exact, non-destructive instructions on how to get Linux onto a SimPad and
b) nobody knows of a site that does (and no, opensimpad.org doesn't count, because of a)).

Well, the SimPad is now an ebook-reader. An expensive one, but still...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-16 8:25 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

if you want a nice link, the most clear and complete one i was able to find last night:

http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/SimPad

i know, i know this is about familiar but the process is described quite well IMO and what's more they always tell you the little details and tricks about what you must and must not do, very clear.

(about the bootloaders, still a little over my head and i assume they're needed only if you want linux.)

another complete instruction set, in german, not linux specific but tells the process very well (except again the part about the bootloaders.. why to complicate it this much?)

http://simpad.silentservices.de/simpad-install-howto.txt

oh and C:Amie, i can provide a few cl4 bootloaders (2.5.1) .. that i wasn't able to flash in

Edited by cmonex 2006-05-16 8:29 AM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9