x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Should I keep the 728 I just recieved?

1 2 3
Maul Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 7:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I just recieved my 728 from ebay and Im a little disappointed. I paid $260.00 for the unit with a genuine hp case and power adapter. Battery seems to hold well. Overall the unit is in good shape. The screen is flawless but the top has several scratches, and the purple swoosh has little indentations in it. Now the reason I'm upset is that the seller assured me the unit was flawless, no scratches anywhere. So my question to you guys is, considering what I paid should I just suck it up, or send it back. Moreover if I keep it, what solutions are there to remedying the scratched up case? Thanks!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 8:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

If I were you, I think I would send it back... 260 USD for a Jornada with scratches just does not click...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 8:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I think you should keep it. A 728 for $260 is a good price (the cost of upgrading a 720 to the 728's 64mb memory is essentially prohibitive, given the machine's age and modest improvement in performance).

In '02, I paid $800 for my 720 and have never looked back.

And remember, by buying a 728, you've insured yourself a newer machine.

Put the machine through its paces. If it holds up, and if the screen is indeed mint, my opinion is that you're in good shape. But I appreciate your worries; nobody likes being lied to.

FWIW,
Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 8:24 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes 260$ is a good price, if this is the only fault with the unit, don't send it back

i don't even know how big the scratches are. mine has always had a few but they're not easily seen. so what?

recently a friend of mine was complaining about the j720 he bought, for days, until i saw it. he said the screen was very badly scratched. i could not even see the scratches at first sight! ... on closer inspection, there were indeed a few but it wasn't anything significant...
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 9:29 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Keep it, so when you scratch it yourself (and you will) it won't be so bad. I would first test it completely though. It is a good price for a 728
Post pics of scratches if you can.
This reminds me of the movie Three Amigos.
"SCRATCHES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN SCRATCHES!" of course it wasn't scratches, but you get the idea.
 Top of the page
Maul Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 9:49 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I've come up with an alternative, check my HPC Bay listing and if one of you fit the bill contact me.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 10:51 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

After reading your other thread I suggest you just return the unit. There is no point in trading plus $100, b/c if you do you could end up with another unit that you think is scratched and may well be, but your standards may be a lot higher than others. Remember these units are not new, and a used unit cannot be considered mint.
 Top of the page
enrigonz
enrigonz Page Icon Posted 2006-02-21 11:15 PM
#

$260 for 728 I would definitely keep, very good price!
 Top of the page
wildbill Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 12:04 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I think I am just as anal as you are-whether or not the outer case is scratched or not is usually the only question I ask of a Seller after carefully reviewing the rest of the description.
My J680 (5 years old) that no longer works is absolutely perfect-not one scratch or scuff-mark.

The best J720 I recently bought was the cheapest-$139.00 US-it is absolutely perfect-it must have been rarely used.

It could be worse-the first J728 I bought last month for $250.00 with a stock photo obviously had no scratches on the case at all-at least, according to the seller,-as I am not sure that it ever even existed. At least I got most of my money back.

If you can get all of your money back-send the J728 back-you obviously aren't happy with the deal you thought you made. Surely, a custom painter could paint the top without taking the whole unit apart-if I couldn't get my money back I might consider the paint-job.

P.S. Just bought another J728-'mint'-pictures of the outer case look perfect-sorry but I wouldn't trade you for even a $150.00 more. I'm a little obsessive, compulsive too even it beauty is only skin deep. Hopefully the rest of the unit operates as good as it looks from a cosmetic point of view.

All the best!
wildbill
 Top of the page
Maul Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 12:10 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

wildbill - 2006-02-21 9:04 PM

I think I am just as anal as you are-whether or not the outer case is scratched or not is usually the only question I ask of a Seller after carefully reviewing the rest of the description.
My J680 (5 years old) that no longer works is absolutely perfect-not one scratch or scuff-mark.

The best J720 I recently bought was the cheapest-$139.00 US-it is absolutely perfect-it must have been rarely used.

It could be worse-the first J728 I bought last month for $250.00 with a stock photo obviously had no scratches on the case at all-at least, according to the seller,-as I am not sure that it ever even existed. At least I got most of my money back.

If you can get all of your money back-send the J728 back-you obviously aren't happy with the deal you thought you made. Surely, a custom painter could paint the top without taking the whole unit apart-if I couldn't get my money back I might consider the paint-job.

P.S. Just bought another J728-'mint'-pictures of the outer case look perfect-sorry but I wouldn't trade you for even a $150.00 more. I'm a little obsessive, compulsive too even it beauty is only skin deep. Hopefully the rest of the unit operates as good as it looks from a cosmetic point of view.

All the best!
wildbill

Please tell me you aren't the winner of the paigee auction that was up to $560.00 last I looked. Thats more than I would even pay, or did you get the one that had the plastic covering still on it?
 Top of the page
Maul Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 12:17 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Honestly the more I evaluate the J728 the more I think it's the wrong choice for anal-retentives like myself and WildBill. The 720's seem to have a case that can take more punishment. I mean after all the 728 is just silver paint. Perhaps I'm better off with a 720 after all.
 Top of the page
wildbill Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 12:19 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

No I would not ever pay $560.00 for the a Jornada 728-even boxed new. I never even bothered bidding once I saw what some people were bidding-I did get the one with the plastic still on. I'll let you know how it turns out when and if it arrives. I'm sick of waiting everyday for the UPS courier to deliver my non-existent J728.
wildbill
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 1:22 AM
#
H/PC Elder

First, I'm not as anal as some here when it comes to cosmetics on something as unimportant as a piece of kit. After all, are you/your wife/significant other/children cosmetically perfect ?

My better 720 is from the ebay $139 lot. (thanks h2oguru!) I didn't realize my first 720 (from
here) was a bit of a dog until my cheap 720 arrived. My first 720 will be my road warrior and take the beating and my cheapie will live a nice sheltered indoor life.

However, you *can* still luck out and find "mint" 728s if that's what you really want. Just be prepared to do the legwork. IIRC Takwus 728 was new in the box when he bought it from Staples sometime last summer. You can't get any more "mint" than that, short of getting one from HP as a brand new warranty replacement unit.

Maul, if you're not happy now, IMO, your disappointment will only get worse. Send it back while you can. If you reach the point where you can't return it you'll castigate yourself everyday you continue to own it.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 2:41 AM
#
A J728 huh? Huzzah! I hope to get one as soon as I get a part-time job...

No offense, but why are many HPC owners buying several HPCs? I mean, after a while, wouldn't that get kind of expensive? What are all the extra devices for? I could understand if you were a seller, but...

However, as an HPC lover, this post will probably make me a hipocrite in a few years...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-22 3:42 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Heh wally you got that almost right. My Jornada was a display/open box unit. It was actually bought by another customer and returned to the store. (I didn't ask why, but a lot of people can't even get PPCs to work, let alone an HPC2000.) Indeed the unit was very mint

But that was pure luck really Who would've thought Staples would carry it still? (Even in 2004) That said I still have a bit of innocent hopeful feeling whenever I walk towards a Staples PDA section - especially at that "place we first met"
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10