x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

password can not be changed

vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2004-12-29 7:33 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Something very strange happened. The password protection is gone. I cannot activate password protection. I cannot change the password (HP Security) any more! I get the message: "Unable to save entry!". It's even stranger. I need to enter the old password if I connect via ActiveSync from PC, but no password for direct access.

I am sure that hard reset would help. But I will have to ask for Activation code for the ArtSKey because it is not possible to just re-install it.

I don't know what the direct reason was. Maybe just re-activation of ArtSKey. Maybe kids tried to play with Jornada (they deny it. I've noticed that Jornada was on, connected to PC, and a bunch of messages saying that ArtSKey was in demo mode... and some others that the connection was lost...

Any ideas how to solve password problem without removing the bateries?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-29 2:34 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

How about checking it over, maybe looking for files that should not be missing, and then hard reset. But have you gotten ArtsPen to work yet?
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2004-12-29 4:40 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I needed to re-apply for a new Activation code. They have confirmed me that there was no other way out. Now I am waiting for their answer whether I can do a hard reset after backing everything up or I will need the third activation code for the same software...

I've found on yetanotherhomepage the solution for such password problem. It requires a hard reset, but no ArtSKey is mentioned.....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-29 5:01 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

This is caused by the corruption of the system database "HPS". I do not know the startup prodedure for the database however if you are goign to hard reset anyway, it cannot hurt to get a system database editor, note down the structure. Delete the database

Soft reset
Run hp settings - see if it recreates the database itself

if not manually recreate the database table

soft reset

try again

If it doesn't work you're hard resetting anway. Nothing lost.
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2004-12-30 2:15 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Good idea! I'll test it. Which editor shall be used?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-30 2:56 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Well if the database is just a file, I have known Tillansoft Pocket Notepad to open just about anything I have thrown at it, even pocket word files. They have a note saying that they can not be displayed, yet right under that note it shows the file with formatting commands inbetween. You just have to select all files in the open dialog's type selection. (.doc files just display a few characters, then nothing)
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2004-12-30 3:53 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

One positive and one negative answer: HPS is re-created if deleted, but password must be stored somewhere else. The problem is stil the same: no password on Jornada but required with ActiveSync - and cac not be changed.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-30 7:56 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Dang, must have been the HP settings database not HP security.

I do know that it isn't registry stored. So by process of elimination it is most likely in a database
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-30 1:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

...Perhaps you can try making a new partnership? As in plugging the usb cable into another port? That'll do it...try to make a new partnership that is.
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2004-12-31 3:00 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks for many hints! I tried many things about ActiveSync but not yet making a new partnership. I can try this too, although I don't believe it will change a bit.

Chris, do you know in what database file the information about ActiveSync is stored? I assume that the password for Jornada is in HPC - after deleting and recreating it ther was (still) no password. But, since ActiveSync always asks for the (old one) pasword and I need to enter it, this information should be kept in some other place. It is possible that because of discrepancy between these two data changing information on just one single place (HP Security) is not alowed.

There is another issue - although not a technical one I wish you all a happy new year!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.141 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 8