x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP to spin off Ipaq division

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 3:15 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I read that HP is going to split off the Ipaq team to form a new company.

So, it may be nothing. OTOH it may mean that diehard hpc proponents in the new company may have a chance to get another hpc to market.

I can bet some engineers and management at HP were really angry when the hpc line was dropped. Now they may have the autonomy to forge ahead on new hpcs.

Can you imagine a Jornada with 600mhz, 128mb, 800x600 TFT screen, perhaps GPRS, in something the size of a S3?

It would be nice, provided they don't repeat the original error of obscene prices.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 10:18 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Whoa, slow down a bit...

Where did you hear about this spin-off in the first place? Even if that is true, it is not likely they'll make a new HPC. The iPAQ is originally from the Compaq side of the business, and the Jornada gene is now completely extinct.
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 10:31 PM
#
H/PC Elder

It was on the CNN crawler recently.

I have some *low* sources at HP and a mix of Jornada and Compaq Ipaq people were kept after the merger so I wouldn't say the Jornada gene is extinct, just yet. My source tells me some HP'ers have been itching to try another hpc after realizing how bungled their first attempts were. (marketing, not the actual hpcs.)
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 10:55 PM
#
If I'm correct, the Jornadas were actually designed by the folks over at their Singapore design branch but was transferred to the IPAQs group in Houston after the merger and after the Jornada 925 came out. So maybe theres still a chance...
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 11:48 PM
#
H/PC Elder

It would be nice. IMO HP needs to expand their offerings especially if they spin off into a new company. The ppc form factor isn't attractive to everybody. How many current models of Ipaq are there anyway? 5, 6?
AndiF
AndiF Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 1:11 AM
#
wallythacker - 2006-02-27 9:15 PM

I read that HP is going to split off the Ipaq team to form a new company.

So, it may be nothing. OTOH it may mean that diehard hpc proponents in the new company may have a chance to get another hpc to market.

Not a new company! HP is splitting off iPaqs from Notebooks. In the past they have all been parts of the mobile division.
Its an important step to have more focus on handhelds and smartphones.

Andreas

Edited by AndiF 2006-02-28 1:11 AM
porkboy Page Icon Posted 2006-04-03 2:03 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey it would be nice to have an updated Jornada with TFT screen and wi-fi. Also make the machine lighter, the existing form factor was so right

Lets see shall we, you never know how these things tend to come round
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2006-04-04 7:02 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I don't think any large company would put the money it to it now. Like its 6 years since the Jornada 720 now.

Unless a new company would like to try it.

Nick
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-05 11:03 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I don't think we'll ever see a renewed 720 but an entirely new clamshell device from Ipaq. I hope they have realized the error of their ways.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10