x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sticking Spacebar

Grant Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 4:26 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey, I'm brand new here. I finally got enough money (college student) to get a HEAVILY used jornada 720 on ebay for under $100.

One thing I didn't realize from screen captures on the net was how much worse this screen is compared to my old Ipaq 4350 with integrated thumb board. That old Ipaq had 400mhz and 64 megs of RAM and flash memory.

Anyhow, I needed to be able to type a lot of notes, but I was horrified when the Jornada I got had keys that weren't even close to 3/4 of my laptop keyboard in size. To make matters worse, the space bar stuck unless you pusehd really hard on it.

****The point of this posting*****

Well anyhow, if you have any sticking keys, *gingerly* pry them off. For the spacebar atleast, there was a lot of lint and hair underneath it that kept it from depressing enough. I cleaned that out and figured out how to put the spacebar back on. OK, the problem was about 30% fixed but I still had to push harder than I would for the rest of the keys. I found a sticker on my desk, wadded it up into a very small rectangular section and put it over the ... rubber thing that turns a key-stroke action into a letter... well w/e the name for it is, I put the sticker wad onto that and carefully assembled the key back onto the board. Now the spacebar is much more sensitive than before and will register the keystroke no matter where you push on it...even on the very ends of it.

This ghetto-rig should work for the other keys as well if any others happen to buy a "cosmetically challenged" 720 on ebay to find all kinds of other functional problems.

Long live CE.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 9:06 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Great workaround. The space bar has always been a bit of a problem in the J-720, not just in yours. I always have to go back and re-space words. Hope the rest of the machine holds up for a long time.

Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 4:48 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

the spacebar has no problem on my j728.
the 720? rarely, i got used to it.
hm ok that spacebar on the 728 once started whining. but it got back to normal soon. dunno why

for under 100$, don't expect too much anyway but maybe you could consider a mobilepro 790, that's even better than a laptop regarding the keyboard!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-28 9:28 PM
#
H/PC Elder

To prevent more lint and dust from clogging up your keys, get Keyboard Skin.
http://www.image911.net/store/product_info.php?cPath=49&products_id...
 Top of the page
Grant Page Icon Posted 2006-03-01 4:18 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

While the Jornada keys are very small, I like the fact I can fit it into my pocket if absolutely necessary. A mobile pro wouldn't work too well as a portable Mp3 player either, which is what I'm after. I'm also much happier with the keyboard now that it actually works well.

BTW, are there any better music players than media player 1.2? It doesn't want to play some mp3s that I transfer over from my desktop. I'm guessing it's because of licensing because I've already checked the "play large bit-rate files" box.

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9