x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Packages for NetBSD 3.0 HPCMIPS (like my IBM Z50)

namityadav Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 12:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

If you don't follow hpcmips progress very closely, then here are some links for you to get NetBSD 3.0 packages for your MIPS based handheld:

http://webpages.charter.net/dbarnes3367/PC/Z50/

http://www.asemi.net/packages/3.0/hpcmips/

http://astolfonet.no-ip.org:1026/netbsd/packages/3.0/hpcmips/All/

Let's hope one of us is able to compile Minimo on this baby soon. Till then, we can stay happy with Dillo
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-03-03 6:08 PM
#
Now I'm all interested in putting this on my MP800...

I'm going to need a bigger CF card, or maybe I'll just use the thumb drive.
 Top of the page
Derek.HPCManiac
Derek.HPCManiac Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 11:48 AM
#
I don't know why, but I've installed NetBSD in MP770 in main memory o.O and runs correctly...
I read the steps in installation, but theese packages doesn't installing...
Somebody can help me??
 Top of the page
namityadav Page Icon Posted 2006-03-04 12:31 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

If you can tell us what size CF you have, how does your partitioning look like, how much size you have left, what all sets did you install in main NetBSD installation, and what error did you get in installing these packages, then I am sure someone will be able to help you
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-05 7:02 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

What, is compiling minimo a problem? Especially for mips, it should not be hard to find a good cross-compiler for the job.
 Top of the page
namityadav Page Icon Posted 2006-03-09 11:46 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I am not aware of any good cross-compiler for our hpcmips. People use the cobalt machines for compilcation as those are a bit faster than others
 Top of the page
cma371
cma371 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 5:07 PM
#
I'm trying to install NetBSD on a Clio 1050. I have a 256mb CF card. However, when I try to load the packages, I run out of space on the drive even if I don't use all the packages. I tried a 512mb thumb drive, but i got an error in the middle of the install.

I'm simply looking to install a barebones linux OS with an updated browser. I need to include wireless drivers for a Linksys card. Don't need anything else at this point.

Any idea what the minimum packages I need to install (any instructions would be great).

I have very little experience with Linux.
 Top of the page
asemisldkfj
asemisldkfj Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 1:58 AM
#
NetBSD != Linux!

What do you mean when you try to load the packages? What steps are you taking, what commands are you running, what exactly (and I mean exactly!) are you doing up until you get the error?

I don't know what the speeds of a GUI are like on Debian or any other distro on a MIPS device, but the most up-to-date browser you're going to be able to run comfortably on NetBSD is probably links (-g) or dillo. Unless you do X over SSH or something and run Firefox .

Edited by asemisldkfj 2006-03-27 1:58 AM
 Top of the page
cma371
cma371 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 10:31 AM
#
When you go through the NetBSD install routine, it asks you what package sets you want to install. I'm trying to do a minimum install with a browser. Do I need to install the X package sets to use a browser? If not, after installing NETBSd, how do I access the browser program from the #?

Thanks
 Top of the page
asemisldkfj
asemisldkfj Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 8:52 PM
#
If you want to use a graphical browser (links -g, dillo), then yes, you have to select the X11 sets. Personally, I don't install them because X doesn't run very well and I'm fine with just using links at the command line. To access a browser program, you have to install one . I have some instructions for installing binary packages on my website (under binary packages): http://www.asemi.net. Then you can just run pkg_add links and you will have the links browser installed. Then run links to start it .

Did you get NetBSD installed or do you still get the out of space errors?
 Top of the page
cma371
cma371 Page Icon Posted 2006-03-27 10:01 PM
#
I first got it loaded without X and it worked fine. Then I tried to add X and the disk was full. I will start again. Then I'll try to add a browser and add as you recommended. Thanks.

I'm from the Dos generation.
 Top of the page
cma371
cma371 Page Icon Posted 2006-04-02 12:03 AM
#
I loaded 2.1 which fit on my 256 card. I started X and got 2 xterm windows and a clock, and TVM. The screen is very dim. I would like to install a web browser, pretty disappointed at this point.
 Top of the page
asemisldkfj
asemisldkfj Page Icon Posted 2006-04-02 3:06 PM
#
What are you disappointed with? NetBSD should retain the brightness settings from Windows CE. I agree though, the screen is pretty dim anyways. Would 3.0 not fit on the CF card? Are you going to try to install a web browser?
 Top of the page
cma371
cma371 Page Icon Posted 2006-04-02 5:28 PM
#
Tried to obtain dillo and kde, but get error trying to obtain files. Error can't reach host. I had to manually setup my ethernet and can ping. Alot of work to get nowhere.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 44 - Executed queries : 26