x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Get a Jornada 720 for $299!

1 2 3
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 8:37 AM
#
ROFL.

That's not even right!
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Maul Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 11:31 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Unless it's a new 720 who cares? You can go on Ebay and get a full package with Wifi card and case for $199. My 728 just sold for $290 so I fail to see the value here. I'm glad to see the price point fall, but it still isn't on par with the rest of the market. Sorry to be negative.
RLW
RLW Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 12:04 PM
#
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I just bought a refurb 720 from Overstock.com for $199 + $39 for the docking station + $3 for UPS ground. The warranty isn't as nice (UsedHandHelds is 90 days, Overstock's is 30).

The only problem I've had was to get a CR2032 (?) 3V button battery for $4.00 -- the one that came with the unit was "dangerously low"...

This is my first WinCE-style computer (I've had Palms up 'til now).

The screen looks to be in good condition -- I managed to get my LinkSys WPC-11 wireless card working with it (I've had some other networking problems -- I'll post those in the H/PC subforum). The batteries seem to hold a full charge, although I haven't tried using it for 9 hours to see how long they actually hold. A couple of hours of web browsing the night I got the wireless to work still had plenty of juice left in the batteries, according to the power applet (looked like 60%, if the bargraph is linear).

I wish the windows had minimize buttons in the title-bar, and I keep trying to hover over icons with the stylus to see what they do (I'll probably get over that!), but I'm starting to get used to the difference(s) between "real" Windoze and WinCE.

I was a bit worried about dealing with Overstock.com (I've read some articles about the guy who runs Overstock being a bit nutty), but, so far I'm pleased.

RLW
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 12:53 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

RLW - 2006-03-08 11:04 AM

I wish the windows had minimize buttons in the title-bar, and I keep trying to hover over icons with the stylus to see what they do (I'll probably get over that!), but I'm starting to get used to the difference(s) between "real" Windoze and WinCE.

RLW

Just like on the PC version, if you press the "Windows Key" + M, all windows will be minimized. However, Win+D does not go to the desktop. AFAIK, there isn't much difference in these two commands, though.

Hope that helps!
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 3:03 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

RLW - 2006-03-08 11:04 AM

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I just bought a refurb 720 from Overstock.com for $199 + $39 for the docking station + $3 for UPS ground. The warranty isn't as nice (UsedHandHelds is 90 days, Overstock's is 30).

The only problem I've had was to get a CR2032 (?) 3V button battery for $4.00 -- the one that came with the unit was "dangerously low"...

This is my first WinCE-style computer (I've had Palms up 'til now).

The screen looks to be in good condition -- I managed to get my LinkSys WPC-11 wireless card working with it (I've had some other networking problems -- I'll post those in the H/PC subforum). The batteries seem to hold a full charge, although I haven't tried using it for 9 hours to see how long they actually hold. A couple of hours of web browsing the night I got the wireless to work still had plenty of juice left in the batteries, according to the power applet (looked like 60%, if the bargraph is linear).

I was a bit worried about dealing with Overstock.com (I've read some articles about the guy who runs Overstock being a bit nutty), but, so far I'm pleased.

RLW

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal! The key difference, as you pointed out, is the warranty. The units that UHH is selling also comes with the manuals, CDs and Sync cable. You didn't mention this in your post so you may have gotten these as well.

Still, you got a great price on a great device.

Enjoy!
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-03-10 3:51 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I think usedhandhelds.com may do well to value add their HPC sales if they add actual stock pictures to show how "like-new" their items are. And even then, a $100 difference is hard to ignore, especially like I got my 720 for $139 and has been working.

Things are really not working to their advantage. As I mentioned in another thread, if UMPCs do come in mainstream with prices < $500, I really don't see how HPCs can continue to command price ranges in the high $200 or low $500. Of cos it depends on personal usage, and there will always be niche users who need instanton and are willing to pay a niche price for it.

That said, I really hate it that a retailer who is willing to continue to support the HPC community should end up holding the hot potato in the end. Maybe it can evolve to include the UMPC in its arm.

In the meantime, $299 to me at least cannot quite cut it.
Shiz
Shiz Page Icon Posted 2006-05-13 12:38 PM
#
wait wait wait wait? 3rd birthday? is it not 2006 when this was posted? on the bottom it says 1999-2006

that makes it seven years old... or is it wrong?

© HPC:Factor : 1999 - 2006. All Rights Reserved. Privacy | Contact | Site Help
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-13 12:58 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Please stop hijacking threads.. Start a new thread and ask that question or even email C:Amie..
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-13 9:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Go easy on Shiz, tenjeangosi. After all, Clinton brought up the third birthday discussion.

The answer, of course, is that they are referring to the third anniversary of this site being re-introduced as HPC:Factor. Prior to 2003, the site operated under a different name.

In any event, as most of us have noticed, the prices of 720s have been falling quite a bit the past few months. $300 was a good deal (with everything included) a couple of months ago, but now you can get one for a lot less. But, as someone pointed out in another thread, the prices rise and fall in cycles each year, so anyone who wants one should get it now before the prices start to creep up again.

Edited by CE Geek 2006-05-13 10:11 PM
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-13 10:12 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Oh, okay, CE Geek ..
Yeah, wasnt HPC:Factor a blending of CE320, simplyhpc, and then there was something else, I think..
Shiz
Shiz Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 8:40 PM
#
CE Geek - 2006-05-13 9:57 PM

Go easy on Shiz, tenjeangosi. After all, Clinton brought up the third birthday discussion.

The answer, of course, is that they are referring to the third anniversary of this site being re-introduced as HPC:Factor. Prior to 2003, the site operated under a different name.

In any event, as most of us have noticed, the prices of 720s have been falling quite a bit the past few months. $300 was a good deal (with everything included) a couple of months ago, but now you can get one for a lot less. But, as someone pointed out in another thread, the prices rise and fall in cycles each year, so anyone who wants one should get it now before the prices start to creep up again.

ooohhhh ok... so soon this site gonna be shiz-natey town 2.0

or something else, wont the site be lost if u rename it without posting news before it?
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 9:21 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Why don't you register and become part of it, and see what happens?
wow
wow Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 10:10 PM
#
tried it keeps messing up i re-log on each time i load this site, keeps sayin i guest wtf

p.s AAAAH THE ANTI-CHRIST IS COMING!!!!!!
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 10:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Are you trying to log on with your H/PC? There are issues with this in pre-H/PC 2000 H/PCs. Which H/PC do you have?
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 10:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

CE Geek - 2006-05-14 7:21 PM

Why don't you register and become part of it, and see what happens?

Wow/Shiz already registered but cannot log in for some reason..

Edited by tenjeangosi 2006-05-14 10:25 PM
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 31