x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Old new user, HP620LX InternetConnet

bejane
bejane Page Icon Posted 2004-12-31 12:53 PM
#
Hello HPC Factor members. I'm 48 years old and somewhat of a computer guru<*grin*>
I just purchased some older palmtops, one being a HP 620LX. This is a very cool little machine.
But... I'm not a connection guru <*grin*>
I have been on vacation this week and have surfed and searched 100's of pages on 620lx and finaly found this site, looks good!

Can someone help me with the choices and possibilites for a Internet connection for my HP 620LX
I have Windows CE version 2.0 (build 7258-7260) Processor type: Hitachi SH3
Memory 16 megs
ActiveSync, PC Link, Remote Networking and Terminal all appear to be the standard programs that came with original install. I didn't get a user manual with this purchase, but I have downloaded the PFD version. I have the docking cradel and cable.

I would like to know what hardware, software I need for various Internet connection possibilites.

Land Phone line
Wireless
Cell phone connection

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. If this is the wrong forum for this post please move it or let me know.
Thank you for your time.
Billy.

Top of the page
atariportfolio
atariportfolio Page Icon Posted 2004-12-31 2:40 PM
#
To find a card compatible with ce 2.0, on the top of this page click on hardware, then click on hardware compatibility list, then click wireless cards. Just look for one that is ccompatible with ce 2.0. If it is a compact flash card you can get a cf to pcmcia adaptor for cheap.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-31 3:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved

bejane welcome to the forums.

Firstly, wrong forum. This is for 2.00 support... clearly.

Thanks for taking the trouble to be through with your post, it's always useful for us.

Out of the box, CE2 is a little limited when it comes to the scope of the drivers (compared to HPC Pro - to which there is a ROM upgrade for the 620 btw. I think that there is one in hpcBay at the moment). That said all the software exists there really to do what you need without bolting large ammounts of sotware into RAM.

Landline phone, obviously a good 56K modem is the best way to go. Almost any PCMCIA one will work, although most are not low power. CF versions will be more considerate your batteries.
Plug the modem in and use Remote Networking to dial-up. Thats all that is needed there.

Wireless is a bit more tricky, but do have a look in our HCL, you'll be neding specific 2.00 drivers. There are a few in the HCL. You'll want 802.11b. There are no BT adapters for 2.00.

Cellular connection, this can be achieved frequently using our very own IrDA driver, link on the front page or in downloads. Otherwise have a look in the HCL.

As ever if you do get hardware that we don't have listed in the HCL, whether it works or not. Please let us know so that we can pass that info on to other users.
 Top of the page
bejane
bejane Page Icon Posted 2004-12-31 6:42 PM
#
Thank you very much.
I will use your advice and see what happens. I'm still playing around with the unit itself, it's neat!

On the cell phone, I was talking about a cable from cell phone to 620lx. Do you or someone know of a cable hookup?

Another question, if and when I crash this little 620lx with windows ce, how and where do I get the OS to reinstall?

Thanks again.
Billy

Edited by bejane 2004-12-31 6:49 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-31 6:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Billy,

Welcome to the magic!
The Operating System is a non-volatile ROM emement. Simply pull the backup and then main battery out, walk away for 20 min (recommended) 2 min (if you are in a hurry).
Reverse process.

It will be like day 1 all over again.

If you use ActiveSync to create backups, sync often. Get all your applications at hand. You can be up and running again in minutes.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-31 6:50 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

That depends entirely on your meaning of reinstall. There are two ways. A soft reset, which involves pressing the tip of your stylus onto a little button (not sure where it is on your device) and the effect that will have is a restart. Another way is to remove all the batteries, including the backup one, and waiting 10 minutes. That will have the effect of formatting, in which your hpc will be reset to factory state. The terms are soft reset (the first one) and hard reset (you get the idea).
 Top of the page
bejane
bejane Page Icon Posted 2004-12-31 8:08 PM
#
Oh coool!! I told you I was sorta computer guru ! <*grin*>
I'm right now sync'ed to my 620lx and desktop. I'm trying to install updates, but I can't find any Ha Ha. I want to update so I'll have to pull the batteries out ! <*grin*>
Nah...
Oh to anyone that may know, my cell phone is a Sanyo 7300 (RL7300)
I've read bits and pieces on the net that you can hook cable from phone to windows ce device.

Thanks.
Billy.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-31 8:49 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

If your phone has an irda port, this site has nicely prepared a generic driver that may get your phone working. If that doesn't work, socket makes some direct cable connections that end as a compactflash card, which you insert into your hpc.
 Top of the page
bejane
bejane Page Icon Posted 2004-12-31 9:51 PM
#
Thank you atariportfolio, c-amie, and programsynthesiser.

I can not tell you how glad I am to find this site. Believe me I looked and looked all over the web these past few days for information.

My phone does not have a "IR.." something port, I'm sure
I will defintly look into the cable for the cell phone, I have Internet on my phone. I would be using it at work for only about thirty minutes a day at most, but got to have it <*grin*>

I'm in the process of downloading files now, haven't installed any yet on the 620lx, but will as soon as I reach my memory limit
This HP 620LX is kinda nice by the way. I also just purchased a HP 95LX, HP100LX and two others I will not mention...yet <*grin*>

I want to try and find the old Gorilla. bas game , do any of you young folks remember that?

I have a copy some where, just don't know if it will run on the 620LX.
Oh well, I have rambled enough. I do thank you. any more advice and guidence will be used to the fullest.
Peace, love, and happiness, .... Happy New Year!!!
Billy.

OK, edit... What am I doing wrong? When I go to update a file on the 620LX is states" it's not a valid windows ce file" ?
I was going to install Month at a glance update and windows ce 2.0 sp1

Edited by bejane 2004-12-31 10:00 PM
 Top of the page
bejane
bejane Page Icon Posted 2005-01-01 12:09 PM
#

Update: I got the ce 2.0 sp1 to install. Before I was not installing the programs from my desktop pc. I've never had another computer sync'd before, so it was a bit confusing at first.

However, month at a glance update still state" not a valid ce app" ?

Also ce 2.0 sp1 is only listed in programs to Remove, my system info still states original OS version and build number?
Happy New Year
Billy
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-01 12:45 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The MAG installer is a host installed not a client side executable. Have a look in support here on the site, down the left hand column there are three articles explaining the 3 different installation methods for Windows CE.
They will clear up some of your confusion here.

The SP doesn't change the build number, the build number is the ROM version. After a hard reset that is what you will still have.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8