x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Which libs/versions are used in cross compiling for 720Degrees?

weblacky Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 5:47 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi All,
As well as being a general Linux user (I hope be a general Linux HPC user once my j720 arrives) I'd like to see if I can create small apps for my HPC running your 720Degrees Linux distro.

I'm vaguely familiar with how a cross compiler is produced (stop me if I get it wrong)

1. Start with a host system (running Linux preferably)
2. Select a main target C library to use (this is a big question...which lib are you using...uClibc or glibc?)
3. Use your host system compiler (with unknown arm target) to compile the target compiler (without ARM libs)
4. Then use new (ARM clib-less) target compiler to build ARM clib
5. Then rebuild full target compiler with previous target compiler and newly compiled clibs.

Then build other stuff...making sure to link against the ARM clib you built...along with any other ARM specific libs you are using.

Now my question is this...what base libs and compiler version are you all using for 720Degrees? I'd like to know the libs and compiler versions so I know what to try to build for a cross compiling environment. Id hate to go through all the steps to find out I was a version below you in a library somewhere or that I linked against the wrong libraries to begin with.

Would you mind please posting the libs/compiler(s)/versions of your base toolchain components on the forum? I'd also like to know what UI toolkits are supported.

For GUI apps what lib/versions do you recommend we use in order to better comply with what you are using to build your distro?

Basically I'm just asking for info to aid outside development or contributions (when possible). I don't think you need to post step-by-step stuff (unless you want to) but I know I would certainly like to be able to create apps in your distribution as easily as possible.

Thanks!

-Josh
 Top of the page
weblacky Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 11:31 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Ok, I found this link in the forum:
http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~simigern/jornada-7xx/

And the thread said that the developers are using Gcc 3.4.1.

I also see the kernels in there.

Ok, I'll go from there!

For other people a really good document about ARM cross-compilation (making toolchains) is at:

http://arm.nihilisme.ca/

Specifically "The GNU Toolchain for ARM targets HOWTO"

-Josh
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 1:44 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Instead of making toolchains, it is recommended to use the kernel maintainer's, as that is known to work. For compiling programs, get the 3.4.1. From there, you can install libraries to it by adding the --prefix=/usr/local/arm/3.4.1/arm-linux
in the ./configure.

After a while, it theoretically should be as reliable as gcc on the device itself.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9