x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Viewing hpcfactor.com with PIE/ftx

rlw Page Icon Posted 2006-03-14 10:35 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hey all,

I'm a newbie here, and I appreciate all of the great info on this website. This is a great community,and it has helped me immensely in the 10 short days I've had my J720.

I'd like to contribute one small bit of what I hope is constructive criticism of the layout of the website. It looks great with Firefox on a "full-sized" display, and most of the site works on the 640x240 display on the J720. You can usually scroll the display to the right to read the forums (fora?), but some of the forum entries that include graphic signatures push the text past 600 or so pixels in width. This forces the reader to continually scroll right/left to read it.

Some of the reviews (specifically the H-Bomb & Expense reviews) suffer from the same problem, having wide screenshots or other graphics that make the text difficult to read using PIE or ftx.

I'm curious if there are settings in the forum software or the style sheets that can limit the width of the "right half" of the site to 600 or so pixels, to avoid the width problem.

I'm writing this on my J720, sitting at the dining room table, connected via a wireless link. I'm using TCPMP to stream jazz from WDUQ-Pittsburgh while I write. I wouldn't have been able to do so without the info I learned from HPCFactor -- it's greatly appreciated! (I hope it's just an ironic coincidence that the song that's playing now is Miles Davis' Freddie the Freeloader! ;^)

I hope this post is taken in the spirit in which it's given, namely as an opportunity to discuss how this valuable website and community can be even better.

Thanks,

RLW
 Top of the page Quote Reply
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 2:02 AM
#
H/PC Elder

In "your settings" turn off viewing signatures. This really helps with the small screen real estate. That's the biggest tip I can provide.

If you don't mind a little grainy looking display install nyditot and set a horizontal screen res of 800. That will pretty much eliminate left-right scrolling.

I hope this helps.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 3:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

rlw - 2006-03-14 7:35 PM
I'm writing this on my J720, sitting at the dining room table, connected via a wireless link. I'm using TCPMP to stream jazz from WDUQ-Pittsburgh while I write. I wouldn't have been able to do so without the info I learned from HPCFactor -- it's greatly appreciated! (I hope it's just an ironic coincidence that the song that's playing now is Miles Davis' Freddie the Freeloader! ;^)

There's a commercial for the H/PC right there.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 7:29 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

rlw - 2006-03-15 4:35 AM
You can usually scroll the display to the right to read the forums (fora?), but some of the forum entries that include graphic signatures push the text past 600 or so pixels in width. This forces the reader to continually scroll right/left to read it.

funnily even my 17" tft (1280x1024) isn't always enough. if someone puts a big pic in or a long line without spaces, then the text stretches too much...
so don't worry it isn't just your hpc
but there's already a forum req's/bugs/ideas thread it is recommended to post the problems there so that they are easily located in one place etc..

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-15 7:31 AM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-03-15 2:36 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

This has been covered several times before in the bugs thread, and my schedule has been laid out in there.
Suffice it to say, the editorial policy is that images are no larger than 640 wide on all page documents, that isn't going to change.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9